Showcase - March 28 - April 3, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeCrescendo

Battle Points: 20
@Marc Duncan - Really like the reverb on deal breaker. The beat is chilled. I think the bass could go a bit louder. I think Crescent is the stronger of the 2 beats. Got a dramatic feel with some nice trap drum fills. Good work.

Here is my beat for the week.I structured it around an acapella but I am still working on the version with vocals so can't put it up yet. I am struggling to master this one so any tips on the mix would be appreciated. I only started trying to master my tracks about 3 months ago so am a complete novice.

Let me know what you think.

Hadoq

Producing weird shit since 2002
@Marc Duncan
Deal Breaker: nice arrangement and harmonic construction, not a big fan of the drums, but that's more the style than the actual drums

Crescent: not a big fan of the piano bits, you should try to play a little with the velocity to make them sound more "human" and less "midi". The general tones sound a bit cheap IMO. However, it is still, indeed, the stronger of both beats, it's deeper, darker, but it does, in my opinion, lack that "humpf", the sonorities make it sound a little "plain", it lacks nuance.

@JaYBEATS a little more nuance there, I really like the whole construction. Rythmically, I like the complexity, it works great in this case. SOme of the horns sound a little cheap and dry. Harmonically, I really like and appreciate the work you put in

as for myself, here are two very different beats

fairly dark stuff, I felt like doing some percussions lately

and a beat I made on an "I used to love h.e.r." acapella, funky stuff, I wanted to give it this "live" feel all while using loops

DeCrescendo

Battle Points: 20
@Hadoq The first beat has some interesting drum sounds. I am a big fan of the Common tune. Very smooth with some good sounds going on. Got a Neptunes feel to it. Think the vocals sound loud in parts but the instrumental mix sounds good.

Battle Points: 1
@Marc Duncan "deal Breaker" was a nice production. Nice and chill this was my fav f the 2. I think this one was the more complete of the two. Feels cinematic.

"crescent" was a cool beat too, I enjoyed your bassline, but thought the track could use a punchier kick!

@JaYBEATS Nice track. I enjoyed the arrangement and what you did creatively but wasn't as much of a fan of some your instrumentation. if your drums were really crisp and a little more punchy you could have some trouble on your hands with this track. The horns also felt thin, weren't epic enough for a track like this imo. But the mix sounded fine no tips there from me

@Hadoq I love the drums on your first track. def diff than what the ears are used to hearing. I just thought maybe another element or 2 playing while that bassline rocked woulda been dope. But good work with the vocal chops and your drums

2nd track had me vibin, I like the feel you gave it.

heres my track, looking for feedback on arrangement , mix, and melody. I've been working on my chord progressions and expanding my music theory so really looking forward to hearing what you guys think. Also the song title is BS so if you guys get any feels while listening im taking all suggestions. What artists could you hear on this track? thanks guys

Solo

Battle Points: 2
@Marc Duncan I felt like that first track could have hit harder. But they're both nice. Those drums on the 2nd track are crazy. Nice mixing
@JaYBEATS Nice beat, nice sounds. Drums could use more punch when they switch up. I really like those horns too.
@Hadoq I really like your style man, very unique. Loved both of these.
@King Drew Xlll Very dope stuff. I could hear Travis on this.

My first attempt at an R&B track. Nothing too complex just chill vibes.

Hadoq

@King Drew Xlll now that's a banger right there! It would be magnificient with a good emcee. But on its own, it can be a tad bit repetitive at times (although I loved that variation at the middle of the beat). Maybe try detailing work here and there, add some breathing into it at some crucial parts (or maybe you wait for the emcee to adapt it, which can be great). It does sound very powerfull, I wish I could do stuff like that.

@Solo very smooth and delicate, I really like what you do with the whole atmosphere. To me, it's almost more "ambient" than "r&b" if I had to name a style for it. nonetheless, amazing shapes you just pulled! great work. The part around 2'10 is soul wrenching, I love it! very very deep stuff!

funny you posted that, I figured I'd go for my weird interpretation of "r&b" myself

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do ;)

Last edited:
Battle Points: 1
@Solo def would agree it more ambient chill wave imo than r&b but either way nice mellow track. the breakdown at 1:15 was my fav part. Also agree the choice of clap coulda been better but I really dig the soundscape you created and the subtle vox! good work

@Hadoq ty for the listen and comments. unfortunately your newest post has been my least fav track of yours. I wasnt much of a fan of your sound selection on this joint, I thought the instrumentation could have been better but I did enjoy the arrangement no improvements there

Hadoq

@King Drew Xlll no worries if you didn't like it. even my favorite artists do stuff that I don't like. The criticism is good tho, and much appreciated

@Brandon Light How it works here is that in order to recieve feedback, you need to leave feedback at the same time as you post your beat.
I'm going to give you some feedback nonetheless.
The sound selection is nice, the mix sounds clean, however, this is merely a loop. I'd like to hear some variations, a break here, a cut there and whatnot. Give it some life and it can be a nice beat. The style is very peculiar, not my cup of tea but some people will like it, especially with a little more structural work.

@Marc Duncan - I like the reverb on deal breaker it sounds very big but drums could be faster and hihat could be more creative.
I Love the 808 on Crescent like the bass drum variations and pattern. Melody is very good and drums goes really well with melody. I also like the synths and variations

saaid

PurpleCrow
@Marc Duncan first beat sounds clean and well mixed but not my cup of tea sounds kinda plain to me but thats my own personal opinion.
Liked the second beat but i think that theres somthing a little off about it cant put my finger on it.
@JaYBEATS love it man sounds kinda grimy nothing bad i can say about it good job mate.
@Hadoq the stoned ape theory pretty sick very nicely put together and love the sample's.
@Brandon Light sounds cool
@Solo super chill bro i need a spliff right now lol but if im going to be honest to ears its sounds a little plain not sure if i would listen to it from start to finish sober lol.
@King Drew Xlll another super chill one i really like the wavey sound comes in but the beat in general sounds ok to me.
Sry if i was rude just trying to be honest here's a quick two i put Together bare in min no headphones so mixing was a kinda just randomly done

The Monk

Battle Points: 8
@Hadoq Really like your style, great groove and feel, love the bass in next life time andthe mixing is sweet.
@King Drew Xlll Good power in the beat, nice work on the arrangement
@Solo Sounds good, I think its more ambient than RnB,
@ColeSllaw Good feel to the beat, might need more of a bassline to help fill out the beat.
@saaid I getting an 80's vibe from the sounds used, it sounds like it's missing bass, good groove to them

Here's One of Mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online