Showcase - May 26 - June 1, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

athagreat

Battle Points: 48
Latest beat I made, nothing fancy, mostly a loop.
Finally decided it was done cause it felt whole, didnt want to do anything to it till someone messes with it.

Any tips and advices are always welcome,

If yall wanna do something, hit me up..

Peace!

Yea im feeling this
I honestly cant give any advice on what you should change everything sounds great lol

Check me out

Chubbs66

Bugsy, very cool. nicely produced and damn catchy.

Speaking of catchy here's a hip hop instrumental based on the Otis Redding version of Stand By Me. I'm going for a late '90's feel - think of all those classics like Wyclef's Staying Alive remix and many others I can't think of right now.

If you go to my Soundcloud page there's a version with a Snoop Dogg acapella (Drop it Like it's Hot). As usual I'm on the look out for an MC to collaborate with.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206

Speaking of catchy here's a hip hop instrumental based on the Otis Redding version of Stand By Me. I'm going for a late '90's feel - think of all those classics like Wyclef's Staying Alive remix and many others I can't think of right now.

If you go to my Soundcloud page there's a version with a Snoop Dogg acapella (Drop it Like it's Hot). As usual I'm on the look out for an MC to collaborate with.

Thanks, Defintely appreciate that!

This is really cool too! Damn, that low end is really kicking! I love it when you do that beat repeat thing.
But watch out tho, cause i think it was too much that it drowned the percussions into the background.
Maybe try layering more sounds into the percussions to make it stand out?
Or maybe thats what you were going for. hehe

Curious tho, what monitor you use?

oh and dont forget to listen to athagreat's beat, its also a dope beat!

Peace!

Jac

@Bugsy
I'm really digging your beat and as Chubbs said it really catchy. It's also very well mixed, gives a new beatsmith as myself something to aim for. Can i ask what tools you used to create it?

@athagreat
Super chill track, makes me wanna go to the beach and relax.

@Chubbs66
Your beat sounds a little muffled, don't know if it's the sample your using or if that's the sound your going for. I would love to hear the hi hats run a little longer, if that makes sense :) Nice track nevertheless!

Ok here we go, my very first beat (and by that I'm not talking on this forum, but ever made).

Tear this sucker apart, I need the criticism as I've only been at it a week or so by now. Tips on mixing would be extremely helpful, I have no clue what i'm doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nel-E-Nel

Battle Points: 9
When I give any feedback, I'll add ideas of what I might add just to maybe spark some ideas of your own. It is not because I dont like your beat. Beats are unique and hard for me not to like unless its a dubstep beat. So no hard feelings
@ Bugsy, sounds good, has a good vibe too it, if I were to make a change I might add more drum play during the hook, and some deep bass, all in all its a good beat.
@ athagreat, good orchestration on this beat, I like it, gives me that kicking it with your girl feeling. If I were to make any changes I would try to add a few more piano notes for a finale. This beat is cool.
@Chubbs66, I like oldies feeling to this beat. If I were to make changes I probably would lower the volume of the kick and bring out the congas more, and I would also bring up the volume of the drums, they're a little low and it would give more filler to the beat. Good stuff

Here's a project off mine, Its missing something, I need some feedback, and it a dark beat

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
Ok here we go, my very first beat (and by that I'm not talking on this forum, but ever made).

Tear this sucker apart, I need the criticism as I've only been at it a week or so by now. Tips on mixing would be extremely helpful, I have no clue what i'm doing.

Thanks for the compliment! no to get my head gassed up, i still have a lot of learning to do..haha

This is really not that bad. i think you got it down prettty quick.
practice eq man, i almost didnt hear the bass if it hadnt been playing in the intro.
also a compressor to not make it louder than it should be.
and a reverb considering if you havent done those yet.
Other than that man, I think you did a pretty good job.
have a look around the forum, theres a lot of useful tips that I use.
If you cant find them just ask!

Peace! ;)

Here's a project off mine, Its missing something, I need some feedback, and it a dark beat

This is a good beat, great mix too! might i suggest a good high pitched keys? bells maybe?
I dont know anything about making dark beats but maybe you could try them out?
all in all it sounds good man.

Latest beat I made, nothing fancy, mostly a loop.
Finally decided it was done cause it felt whole, didnt want to do anything to it till someone messes with it.

Any tips and advices are always welcome,

If yall wanna do something, hit me up..

Peace!

im sitting here trying to think about what I would do to this beat......nothing. love the way you chopped the samples and im really the bell type of sound in the middle. the drop downs is what I really like also. cant wait to here another creation by you man. gj!

@Bugsy
I'm really digging your beat and as Chubbs said it really catchy. It's also very well mixed, gives a new beatsmith as myself something to aim for. Can i ask what tools you used to create it?

@athagreat
Super chill track, makes me wanna go to the beach and relax.

@Chubbs66
Your beat sounds a little muffled, don't know if it's the sample your using or if that's the sound your going for. I would love to hear the hi hats run a little longer, if that makes sense :) Nice track nevertheless!

very first beat? not bad considering. what really got me to nod my head was the kick and snare. real gritty sounding in my opinion. I remember my first beat smh.

man great track. I love the original but you did a great job flipping this. idk what I would add or change. Iall I know is I better step my game up. thx for the upload really enjoyed listening to it.

the first part is an older beat that I chopped. the switch beat is mostly loop. nothing special, just some ish I was feeling at the time. im open for criticism.

Chubbs66

thanks for the feedback everyone. i think i've over compensated for the speakers i'm using - they're quite sharp - and after hours of working on it i forgot to compare to my reference tracks. will do a little work on it tonight and post an update (hopefully, my internet connection has been misbehaving).

jac - i see what you mean about the hihats. i've been working on the track with the snoop dog vocal (that version's on my soundcloud page if anyone feels like checking it out), and that helps the flow but without it when the hihats drop out the flow is disrupted.

Jac

thanks for the feedback everyone. i think i've over compensated for the speakers i'm using - they're quite sharp - and after hours of working on it i forgot to compare to my reference tracks. will do a little work on it tonight and post an update (hopefully, my internet connection has been misbehaving).

jac - i see what you mean about the hihats. i've been working on the track with the snoop dog vocal (that version's on my soundcloud page if anyone feels like checking it out), and that helps the flow but without it when the hihats drop out the flow is disrupted.

Just gave the track with the snoop dog vocals a listen, fucking hell the lyrics makes a difference!

Chubbs66

athegreat - sounding slick, real laid back. nice progression & structure, not too repetative that it feels like it needs a vocal to hold it together like most of my instrumentals :)

jac - nice & atmospheric. in terms of production, pretty amazing if you're implying you only have a week's experience total. the drums could do with some beefing up. is that a loop you're using or individual sounds? either way you could layer up another snare or 2 (i choose the characteristics i'm after from a few sounds, ie first find a snare that's closest to what i'm after and mix it with the highs from a snappy snare and the mids from say a rim shot to ad some body, all triggered by the same midi note. battery is ideal for this (and i'm sure any semi decent drum machine vst can do the same) as you can eq/effect each individually assign them to the same output. you can do similar overlays in sampler vst's but it takes a bit more patience.
oh, and while it may not sound intuitive for bassy music you basically want to cut off any bassy sounds below about 30-80hz. with a 12db/octave high pass you'll still get plenty of sub with a cutoff of 50hz. the point is to cut off anything the human ear physically can't hear and roll off those sub frequencies to leave plenty of head room in the mix for other sounds as well as tightening up the bass sound as a whole.

Nel-e-nel - i think what it needs is a dirty bassline, maybe playing off the sub bass you have going, ie a grimy distorted sound playing the same rhythm as your sub bass when that drops out every other bar. also an atmospheric string or pad would suit it quite nicely (all imo).

messengah - i'm loving it. love the way the intro opens up. nice chill samples and kind of a glitchy feel but without any of the obnoxious cheesy crap that pisses me off about glitch. reminds me of prefuse 73.

Just gave the track with the snoop dog vocals a listen, fucking hell the lyrics makes a difference!

yeah i know right?! i get my acapellas from acapellas4u.co.uk. i hadn't been there for a few years (kind of lost inspiration) - i used to post my beats there but the site seems to have declined since i was there last which is why i joined this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.