Showcase - November 17-23, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Battle Points: 30
This beat, with a few small changes has the potential to be super dope.

I think you should do away with the vocal sample that says "beautiful noise", it's a little distracting. I kept saying to myself, man this is dope, I can't wait until the bass drops. I like that you had me craving that kick, but I think you took a little too long to do it.

I think a good general rule of thumb is to limit your intro to 8 bars. After 8 bars you should get to the meat of your beat and your listener should understand the sonic themes. Again, this is speaking generally... there are times when a longer/shorter intro are in the best interest of the song.

The bass line needs work. It matches well with the kick in regards to frequency, but it sounds out of place and out of tune. Try something that's not as synthetic and not as 808ish. I think something analog like a bass guitar or upright bass would compliment the sample well. Play with it a bit, make the notation more complex, let it follow the melody of the sample, let it ride out on it's own at times.

Overall, you have a lot of potential with this beat, it just needs some cleaning up. Nice work so far and good luck making a good beat great.

I made this beat the other day... I'm not sure where I stand on it. Would love to get some input from you guys!

great beat, well mixed, the only think i don't like is the hat, try to add to the hat's sample a little silence time ( example 10 milliseconds) and the hat will sound better (sorry for my english, I hope you understand)

Battle Points: 30

I think you should do away with the vocal sample that says "beautiful noise", it's a little distracting. I kept saying to myself, man this is dope, I can't wait until the bass drops. I like that you had me craving that kick, but I think you took a little too long to do it.

I think a good general rule of thumb is to limit your intro to 8 bars. After 8 bars you should get to the meat of your beat and your listener should understand the sonic themes. Again, this is speaking generally... there are times when a longer/shorter intro are in the best interest of the song.

The bass line needs work. It matches well with the kick in regards to frequency, but it sounds out of place and out of tune. Try something that's not as synthetic and not as 808ish. I think something analog like a bass guitar or upright bass would compliment the sample well. Play with it a bit, make the notation more complex, let it follow the melody of the sample, let it ride out on it's own at times.

Overall, you have a lot of potential with this beat, it just needs some cleaning up. Nice work so far and good luck making a good beat great.

I made this beat the other day... I'm not sure where I stand on it. Would love to get some input from you guys!

Great beat, good mix, try to add like 10 milliseconds to the hat sample, it will sound better, i did this on my beat "choir"(sorry for double reply)

lilsuedi

Don't let your inexperience get in the way... that's already limiting yourself! You may be new to producing, but you're not new to listening to music and half of producing is listening. All the technical stuff is great, but that comes with time. The technical stuff is a way to calculate and quantify the sounds you are making... a tool... a tool is designed to help you create something. An axe, a knife, and a machete are all tools. Very different tools, but they all do the same thing, they make cuts. What I'm getting at is don't let all the tech and tools overwhelm you. At the end of the day they are all just tools to shape your sound.

I'm a filmmaker/photgrapher and produce music on the side. One thing that I have translated across disciplines is my eye/ear. Ask yourself do these things go well together? Is it seamless? Good music has a profound subtlety to it. It doesn't scream "YO THIS BEAT IS THE SHIT"... It nudges it's friend and says "listen to this..."

Your beat... it has some things working for it and some things working against it. There's something interesting about the sample... it's very nostalgic. It kinda works in a way with the 2Pac acapella. Like, these two things are very different, but still work together... Kinda sweet and sour, ya know? That being said, the drums aren't working, change that up and you'll have a really good first beat. You're going for that newschool/trap style drum. I'll be honest, I'm biased, I don't like that style of production... even so, it doesn't make sense with the sample. Something relaxed... maybe a rimshot or a clap (hell, maybe even a combo of the two) would be nice. Tambourines... shakers... play with it all. The kick drum... too much, bring it doen't less punch... it's dominating the track. It's a nice sample... it's evoking... let that shine through. Let the drums move that sample... that feeling move along. Bass line... gotta have a bassline with this beat. Nothing crazy or overwhelming. Just like the drums, it'll help move things forward.

When the drums stop and you're left with the acapella and the sample... it's wonderful... you're letting it breath. Dropping certain sounds emphasizes different sounds and it's really putting an emphasis on the vocals. Works really well.

Great start, keep working at it and trust your ear. You know what good music sounds like. Just match sounds up and be creative!

Wow thanks alot for the reply man.

i agree about the drums beeing pretty horrible, however right now im just using samples from a 808 mafia drumkit so i don't have a whole lot of other sounds to choose from. I don't really know what vst have basses to make a bassline from either, i tried massive but it were just so many weird noises nothing really even sounded decent in my ears. I will try to look for other non traplike kicks and snares and make some variation on the drums instead of having everything at the same time throughout the verse(s). However i really love the trap/cloudrap type hihats, i might replace them but i will see.

again, thanks alot for your input man.

Also i think im pretty off topic right now, not sure what the rules are about this so im rly sorry if im flooding the wrong forum section btw.

Beautiful Noise

No Song is Safe.
Battle Points: 8

Erik, the tags are there for my protection from beat theives. Once an interested party buys the beat, it will become tagless.

I will take into consideration your suggestion(s) regarding the baseline. I'm still working on finding that bassline niche without using synths (I hate them with a passion). Thanks for your feedback

Beautiful Noise

No Song is Safe.
Battle Points: 8
Somebody had mentioned about playing around with the hats. I know it's normal to dissect a beat, because we don't like this or that. I appreciate the feedback, but at the end of the day, I gotta be satisfied with the sequence and not stress EVERY little nitpick from outside sources. This also applies to the buyer of the beats. If the buyer wants me to change my artwork, then he/she better be prepared to pay some serious $$$. I do value feedback for areas of improvement...like basslines, but can't take every suggestion thrown at me.

Some of the classic beats from the vets are simple when you REALLY listen to them. I'm still in the process of finding my niche.

Avg Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online