Showcase - November 8-14, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rah.sool

Beatmaker
@Sole Element Nice job brother. I really like all the layers individually. However, there seems to be a noticeable dissonance at different points in the track. For instance, the note mariah sings at :47 seems off key. also, the section at 1:52 sounds off. There were also a lot of other instances of this that I won't mention. I would make sure that your vocal track, and music tracks and bound to the same key. But great job bro!

More boom bap this week. I'll be back in a few days to leave feedback for everybody.

@Sole Element Nice job brother. I really like all the layers individually. However, there seems to be a noticeable dissonance at different points in the track. For instance, the note mariah sings at :47 seems off key. also, the section at 1:52 sounds off. There were also a lot of other instances of this that I won't mention. I would make sure that your vocal track, and music tracks and bound to the same key. But great job bro!

More boom bap this week. I'll be back in a few days to leave feedback for everybody.

I really like this, great in its simplicity. Just the perfect balance of simple variation and repetitiveness, great work. Stays interesting all the way and the track just has a vibe that I love.

Sole Element

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
Thanks for the feedback I will give mine tonight! Yeah it is off in some places, I noticed her voice seems like it goes off key on some parts in the original as well (but I could be wrong). I probably should have listened a little more carefully instead of rushing smh!

Here is my hip hop remix for the week, this one might be off a little as well with the chorus I couldn’t tell. Thanks again

Last edited:

Sole Element

ILLIEN
@Rah.sool love the swing on the drums and the filter on the sample. Like 2good said it really stays interesting throughout. Nicely done
@2GooD Productions very clean mix as usual. I really enjoy that break at 1:05, you can tell you put time into the arrangement and flow of the beat. You always have a good sense of putting the right amount of elements into your tracks without overcrowding it.

BlackSwanFly

I love the dark, East Coast sound. The drums are on point. The horn part goes very well. Damn I like this shit. Reminds me of old school Sinima Beats.

BlackSwanFly

Thanks for the feedback I will give mine tonight! Yeah it is off in some places, I noticed her voice seems like it goes off key on some parts in the original as well (but I could be wrong). I probably should have listened a little more carefully instead of rushing smh!

Here is my hip hop remix for the week, this one might be off a little as well with the chorus I couldn’t tell. Thanks again

I have so much love for Nip. The drums are smooth and compliment Nip's vocals. The K camp parts are a little off IMO as far as the key goes. But, overall, nice soulful track!

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 545
this reminds me of some Bee Gees for some reason. There are parts where it sounds off key, right key wrong scale maybe?

Some things to be aware of that can catch you out of key;
- being in the wrong key; can happen. Maybe you grabbed the key info online and it was wrong or maybe you find yourself mistakenly in a similar key.
- borrowed chords; sometimes (i do this a lot), a composition may use a chord from *outside of the key*, listening to it sounds natural and just sounds like a cool flavoured progression, but it achieves this by using notes from outside the main key.
- different scale; maybe the song is Fminor and you are playing in Fminor, but actually... the song is in F melodic minor, so you'll be out of key potentially at times.
- you're just playing the wrong note in that moment; happens to me, i might have a baseline and a counter melody where the combined notes just sound wrong in context of the song (they may be absolutely perfect in solo, but together create a chord that sounds off). So you can be playing stuff that's in key but inadvertently creates some weird uncomfortable jazz chord out of nowhere and doesn't 'fit'.
- modulation; songs don't always stay in one key y'know? A song may start in one key for the verse, use a borrowed chord to move into a new key for the prechorus, and then move into another for the chorus.

So there are actually many factors that can lead to you sounding out of key throughout a song. And you're more likely to encounter these when using a sung vocal or pop record.

That's been your Iron Tip for the day.

Rah.sool

Beatmaker
@BlackSwanFly yo this is nice. Really simple with a nice cadence to it. Like you said, I feel like a competent rapper could bring this to life. Great work!

@2GooD Productions Really clean! Mix is flawless, melodies are nice as well. Feels like a marvel movie soundtrack at times, in a good way. Awesome job!

MattyBeats

sick beatz

This is good, I really like the brass in there and the rhythm of the drums is nice. I feel like the drums could sound stronger tho
Heres a little boom bappy beat I was messing around with

Sole Element

ILLIEN
@Iron Keys thanks for the feedback! Man i haven't talked about music theory in a long time lol! But definetely makes sense. I got careless on some parts and tried to get away with not fixing it smh. But I do need to get back on my theory though most of the time I just use my ears which is fine sometimes, but theory definetely makes it a whole lot easier. Good looking out.
@BlackSwanFly That is a really good produced beat!! I love that breakdown at 1:25. Personally I would like to hear Elzhi from Slum Village on this I think he would do it some justice. Well done bro!! Thanks for your feedback as well, I went back and fixed the Nipsey Remix cause it was off like you said.
@MattyBeats I love the groove!! Very smooth production and straight to the point. Nicely done.

BigTyBeatDowns

Music is what keeps me going daily.
Decided to knock out my Christmas music early this year

I love that dusty bass line. Great filter effects. The drums are nice and Punchy. Very dope!

TWU

The.Widely.Unknown

Messed around with the hook part with a little vocal. I was going for simplicity on the verse to highlight a complex rapper.

Damn, that first part is dope! Second part with vocal also hits nice. The bassline on that part needs a little work IMO.

Listened to some of your SC stuff and I really like your minimalistic approach. Good works!

Status
Not open for further replies.