Showcase - September 2-8, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alejandro

AleVFX

Always trying to improve. Btw last time sorry but I linked the unmixed version of the song. This time with this one I got everything right I think. (I have a lot of mp3 drafts for each song).

the drums are very far back in the mix. You can get more bang from your kick by slapping an eq on it and taking away the inaudible low end below 30 hz, literally cut everything below 30 hz, as you have the sub bass too id cut everything below 50hz for the kick, give it a boost around 80-90hz and a boost around 800hz too to add presence, to counter you will probably have to remove muddyness around 250-350hz. The result will be a banging punchy kick, to get it to punch through that sub though might require sidechained compression that compresses the sub bass every time the kick triggers the compressor to allow it through in the mix. You can get loud drums without necessarily layering them, frequencies from layered drums can phase frequencies doing the exact opposite of what you hope to achieve. Layering is better for adding a range of frequencies so that a snare for example covers more of the frequency spectrum, like adding some mid bass to a snare, or adding some presence in the higher end for a kick. Layer with purpose. If after compression and equing on the drums and they still sound "thin" then layer to fill them out. Just some ideas, there are no strict rules, just guidelines and many different ways to achieve the same result. Whatever works best for you is the way to go because you dont want to stifle your workflow with too many technicalities

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
fucking hell, skid, hows it going?, its been fucking years, since myspace became worthless I think. Good to see you still at it, I have retired and restarted many times since
2 Good- it’s really good to hear from you to Bro! It’s been at least a decade. I’ve put out a a couple of Ep’s over the last couple of years but other than that I’m still learning after 15 years. I’m trying to get back into it. Grace & Peace...oh yeah! the beat is flame!

Last edited:
So apparently there is an issue with the forum player and its not just my end, my ssd packed up last week and Im running a blank slate on an old harddrive so assumed it was a problem at my end, but its not.
So heres another link..

Not sure if Ive posted this before, maybe maybe not. More feedback to come.

@bennett24C I really like the choice of drums but they are too far back in the mix except for the crash, the track could use some work in the mix department as the levels seem a bit off and when the drum fills come in the timing seems to go off a bit too.The sample is cool but a nice mix will do it justice.

@skidflow Yeah man, been far too long and Ive never stopped learning when it comes to music, its so deep and challenging its the perfect hobby for me, just need to get that into my head and stop giving up.Will drop some feedback on your track when I get back to it.
EDIT: Easy Does This, I feel like the drums need some swing to them so the beat bounces more, it sounds a bit "square" and robotic at the moment, a more constant hi hat would add some life and swing to the drums. Finally Id lower the volume of the samples and make the drums the loudest part of the mix.
Heavy: This is some Kool Keith shit, I like this.

@NatureRok From the first drum hit this had my attention, I really like the sample, Id drop the Biggie vocal and leave it as a beat and fill it out and add some variation. Has some real banger potential with a couple more layers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

members online