Shure SM58

J-UK

Um........
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Does anyone here use a SM58 to record here? If anyone does or has used one can someone tell me if it is worth buying one to record vocals with? The mics good and bad points? I have heard good things about the mic but would it be better to buy a mic dedicated to recording?

HaZwaiOh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
sm58 is a very good live mic that can also record instruments and stuff. if you don´t already have one, get one. they come in handy and they are very good! you might want to consider one of its "clones". almost same quality but much cheaper
for recording vocals i´d get a condenser mic. there is already a thread covering that topic. p´s

M

mage1

yo, I actually recorded a few of my songs with a shure sm58. You can check them out at magemusic.com. I'm serious. This is not just a cheap plug. All the songs except "Vision" were recorded with a Shure sm58. If you dont have money to but a condenser mic . . . Id buy a sm58. Its only about $100 and it sounds pretty damn good. It kind of pops and clicks once in a while, but if you use compression (protools or a hardware compressor) you can get some decent sounding tracks. I used mine with protools compression. Check it out.

old supreme

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
it's the industry standard live mic, and the I-can't-afford-a-condenser standard as well. I use one. I get pretty good results out of it. If I had the cash I would buy a condenser, tho...
ose

J-UK

Um........
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Thanks for the replies. I bought a SM58 the other day and have recorded vocals with it and I am very pleased with the results. Considering that it isn't a condensor mic and that it is fairly cheap I think it's really good.

fiz

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
agreed - i also use it and find that's it's quite a capable mic.

O

otniel-one

imo, the sm57 is better for recording since it doesn't have
all that extra windscreening that the 58 has inside the grille.
but nothing beats the 58 when it comes to live performances.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I've recorded endless freestyles with my SM-58 a few years ago and it sounded great. My friend even dropped it! (and he calls himself an 'MC', ha) and even though there's a little dent in the cone, it still sounds great. Rough and rugged, good sound - good buy.

members online