Since I have been in Audio school

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
Qualifications in this industry are completely worthless - not pointless, but not useful to getting any kind of related job.
Putting it simply, when I did sound engineering at college EVERY tutor I had, had aspirations of being a big name artist or producer in the industry. And all of them them were working at a college on a shitty ass wage.

Cosign with lil drama boy - you don't have to go to school to learn about sound engineering; you can teach yourself that now off the net etc. It will be a hobby until u make the contacts u need to get recognised; regardless if you went to college or not.
that's what potential students should be looking at. if a school has instructors still in the business and not just retired or hoping to be's, it will be better off for you (but it would mean plenty of canceled and make up classes due to their schedule).

if you're going that route, best to do some research

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I still feel that being in the environment(which I have not been) seems to me , that you would make some valuable connects even if it was just other students to collab with, while getting hands on with the gear..?

Completely respect and get what you guys are saying though.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I still feel that being in the environment(which I have not been) seems to me , that you would make some valuable connects even if it was just other students to collab with, while getting hands on with the gear..?

Completely respect and get what you guys are saying though.

Well I can speak from experience....what you think you might get pales in comparison to what you spend! Collabin' with people on your level trying to attain what you're trying to attain doesn't get you far though it may get your creative juices flowing. That's being realistic! I got "hands" on with the gear the most use on a daily on my own. Not too many people have those quarter million dollar SSL Boards in there studios. We had two in school! Even my instructors told me I'd probably never see one again once I graduated. They all were right. There maintenance alone would break many.

And don't mistake "going to school" with "being in the environment". I get more exposure to the "real" grind of the music industry being a DJ. That has gotten me more real connects with the insiders than anything thus far. Without the DJ nothing in what most of us strive for in music can happen!

In the end I'm speaking from my experience. If someone else has a better story to tell I'd love to read it. Haven't seen it in this thread yet.

I want to hear from PK a couple years from now and see where he is after completing school. Maybe he'll be one of the few that gets in by way of school. Who knows....only time will tell. Regardless I wish him luck.

I'm very interested to hear from others who have went to some sort of school dealing with engineering or music management.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Qualifications in this industry are completely worthless - not pointless, but not useful to getting any kind of related job.
Putting it simply, when I did sound engineering at college EVERY tutor I had, had aspirations of being a big name artist or producer in the industry. And all of them them were working at a college on a shitty ass wage.

My experience exactly. My instructors where only there for the minuscule "steady" income that being an instructor brought. All had the same aspirations that I had and still have. They eventually faced reality and got a real job while lowering there expectations and treating there music ambitions as a hobby after a while. When real life happens you have to make a choice.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Just to chime in and second/third what's been said:

When I was in high school, I did holiday work at Metropolis audio in Melbourne, (at the time one of the biggest studios in Australia, (almost 18 years ago kids)). I was thinking of becoming a sound engineer at the time too. All the engineers that I spoke to actually laughed at the idea of studying engineering in a school. They all said it was nothing but a waste of time and that what you learn has very little application in a real studio. The advice I received was just be persistent and annoy the fuck out of people until they give you a chance, (ie intern or do other shit kicking work in a studio. That was how they all got work, (all amongst the top engineers in Australia at the time), not one did a course and not one knew of anyone in the industry that had. That was a while ago but it pretty much agrees with what you guys are saying.

p.s. (I never ended up doing it cause I was a lazy bastard back then, probably should have though).

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
my personal experience:

went to school twice, 1st when i finished highschool, got a job in a small studio as 1 of the 2 engineers, was there for about 2 years, but i didn't really like engineering, the streets were calling.

just finished school in july, the instructors are still in the biz and nuff classes were canceled and rescheduled near the end of the term makin' shit effin' intense. it offered both tech and biz which after the 1st term, you make a choice of the 2 but still share some courses (contracts was one and one of the better classes with on of the better ent lawyer up here who had extensive experience with issues that plague hip hop producers/artists and was willing to give us free rep/contracts unless it lead to something major or a lot of cash gets involved).

anywho, it had internship program and encouraged students to get them early, had some job/intern ops sent to them and then us (most were ignored but my friend took one up and is now working with a songwriter/composer/producer that has worked with celine and others). it helps that there's plenty of alum in the biz, from big to small, so some ops are known 1st, plus the secret society alum stuff.

despite going there so i could eventually get into post audio, which regularly gets school interns, is regular work with generally regular hours and pay, i got an opportunity to work, not intern, at a small studio as the main engineer in my 2nd term (part time while in school) which i took, and unlike when i was younger, i'm loving it.

school taught me a few things, had to do math which led to math involved in audio/computers and midi and sysex data, music theory and composition/arranging, schematics (makes the near nonsensical ssl aws+ manual coherent and overstandable), contracts/pub/copyright, live sound (hated) and graphing (loved), post audio and some other shit, while the rest i already knew but learning new techniques, improving skills helped a lot. the contacts and networking was the most important, and was stressed everyday all day.

other friends got internships, one left a studio job that one of the instructors owned for a better op as an intern at one of the last big/major studios and because the main engineer is out of town on freelance work, he's been doing the sessions, which is leading to other ops. the school informs former students ops and internship ops, and some instructors do the same involving their business.

all that being said, this may be more specific to my city/country and the schools rep, established for more than 12+ years, plus not every story will be a success, whether the students are earnest or lazy when chasing ops or are in internships. but then again, the majority of the world don't end up doing what they dreamed of doing for a paycheck but so it go, life's a bitch

PKProductions

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Damn, I didnt think this thread would blow up like this. I am seeing alot of people saying schooling for this is a waste of time... lol which I so called in my very first post, yeah alot of people are saying its not neccesary but I dont care fuck em, I am still learning from people who have been very successful and worked on many platinum selling records. My boy Scott worked at Hit Factory in Miami and he is about the illest mother fucker at the whole place and just spews useful knowledge. But all I can really say is that this school isnt what you guys think, and its certainly not any bullshit, its HARD and in depth. But this isnt just a music production school, I have to study all the technology behind all the equipment too and know all that information. Not to mention there are seminars every week where people from record labels come in and talk about the industry and their experiences, and thats also a good way to make connections.

There are still alot of things that I dont like about the school, but its mainly some of the staff there are just disgruntled never-made-it's if you get my drift so some of them are kinda pissy. I'm still having a blast, jealous mother fuckers say what you want, but I dont regret this decision one bit. Oh yeah, I have been getting in the booth alot here lately too and been making my own beats so ill have some shit for yall in the coming months, watch out for it.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Damn, I didnt think this thread would blow up like this. I am seeing alot of people saying schooling for this is a waste of time... lol which I so called in my very first post, yeah alot of people are saying its not neccesary but I dont care fuck em, I am still learning from people who have been very successful and worked on many platinum selling records. My boy Scott worked at Hit Factory in Miami and he is about the illest mother fucker at the whole place and just spews useful knowledge. But all I can really say is that this school isnt what you guys think, and its certainly not any bullshit, its HARD and in depth. But this isnt just a music production school, I have to study all the technology behind all the equipment too and know all that information. Not to mention there are seminars every week where people from record labels come in and talk about the industry and their experiences, and thats also a good way to make connections.

There are still alot of things that I dont like about the school, but its mainly some of the staff there are just disgruntled never-made-it's if you get my drift so some of them are kinda pissy. I'm still having a blast, jealous mother fuckers say what you want, but I dont regret this decision one bit. Oh yeah, I have been getting in the booth alot here lately too and been making my own beats so ill have some shit for yall in the coming months, watch out for it.

Damn PK...if that's what you got from this you're on some bullshit! I don't think anyone who has commented is hatting on you. No one has belittled your decision to go to school at all. You saying "fuck 'em" for having a diff't opinion is not constructive at all. You're not going through shit that some of us haven't already been thru. We just came out on the other side realizing that for "us" it was a waste of time and money. Money that could have been spent purchasing gear and doing other things. And as far as those "disgruntled never made it's", that's why the teach. They ended up needing a "real job" because the music business these days is more competitive than professional sports. Only one in a few make it to the big time.

Damn...u even called us some "jealous mother fuckers"....wow...lol. Me being one of the dudes here that really reached out to you when you joined this site.

Get your school on homie....I still wish you luck...I hope you're one of the few that make it thru just by going to school. But on the real...u developed a fucked up attitude about peoples opinions and personal experiences. If you're indeed like the words you've typed I don't see you going far at all! You took opinions and personal experience as an attack on your decision. That it was not at all. U got this shit really really twisted and reading back thru I just don't see how.

^^ Yeah I want to hear it!

U can hear one of his tracks in the showcase.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
PK, totally unnecessary. Nobody criticised your decision and I see no jealousy here or hatred. People giving you the benefit of their experience; no need to spit in their faces.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
^^ I dont believe he was referring to anyone here per se, I said earlier back that ,like lawyers, people dont want you to go do these things because if you dont then it reduces competition, I think that may be what he was reffering to..

Ummm...he said
I'm still having a blast, jealous mother fuckers say what you want,

Nice try bailing him out but I don't think that statement can be misconstrued. He said what he meant and he meant what he said. At the end of the day it was totally uncalled for Relic, you and i both know that.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
To Each his own. This is a opinion based thread and the people that have been there are contributing what they know. PK whatever keeps your boat afloat then ride on, but if your perspective changes just remember that life is a lesson and if it doesnt work out the way you thought then just look into it more and hear what people have to say about it.

No Haters, All Fam.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
This is getting interesting .
Without classes and the experience how does one develop the business knowledge to go forth and attain more knowledge and skills?

This is the great riddle of life my friend. And how you solve it determines how far you go.
The only way to gain experience is to experience.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Oooooh, well I didnt actually read it very well then..
I thought it said: I'm still having a blast, jealous mother fuckers "Can" say what "They" want,

But then Im the eternal optimist

lmao...I know you see a lot of "cans" when you're not at work but there was no "can" in his statement.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
lmao...I know you see a lot of "cans" when you're not at work but there was no "can" in his statement.

haha he dissed me and I was all "Yeah cant wait to hear it!"
Still good thread as far as knowledge, and Shadeed thats good advice, of course.

PKProductions

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Sorry guys, I am not trying to call anyone out here at illmuzik but if you fit the case, then the statement stands. I have just been taking alot of heat lately at school and from some other people I guess cause im white? I dont really know but alot of people have been gettin pissed off that I am not scared to get in the booth and I guess I am just controversial with what I say? There are alot of jealous people I know right now, and alot of them are trying to bring me down, but there are alot of people giving me the right encouragement at the same time.

Also I have run into alot of out of state students at my school dis-respecting the south and Atlanta and shit, yet they all came here for our music scene and alot of them are on some bullshit talk and they have been trying to bump heads with me so I have had to deal with that too.

Sorry if anyone got offended by what I said but I have been on my toes here lately trying to deal with these mother fuckers bullshit, and it seems like too many people are against me right now. lol I guess this is all part of the process, but no worries guys cause I am getting the right feedback from the right people so that matters more than what all these lames keep talkin about.

members online