Since Kenwop sold a beat I gotta question...

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
i mean just walk around go up to some random guy and be like do you rap 9 times out of 10 the guy will say yes, then be like you need some beats give him a beat for free and if he likes it he will most likely come back(wit some other rapper friends) for another one sell the next one to him, and just keep doin that go to clubs, go to freestyle battles, and shit you got to get out their and grind.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
If you live in any reasonably urban situation nowadays you got many opportunities to find an artist, that will pay you for your work....The metro DC area where I live might not really be a hip hop mecca either but I have been able to sell beats regularly for the last 4 years or so as well as a lot of other producers here, get yourself a beat CD together, go out to some venues (if you have them and pass a few out...talk to some artists..)
My best resources are small indie record labels that keep at least 4 or 5 artists..those kind labels are a dime a dozen, find out if they need beats....its that simple, I mean selling beats is not that hard....these cats go out and sell CD's on the street and make money for real....at least the ones I know...so there is a market for your music.....there is a twofold purpose for getting artists on your music......suppose your pathway to getting signed to a major or getting a placement never happens? you at least have the chance to get your music noticed even by accident, you never know....main thing is if you are serious take EVERY avenue available....a grind is a combination of things....hey that's not just some 29 or 30 something advice from some book thats the reality of the craft if you are underground producing.....artists have cliques and camps and they move around....they will even tell other emcees.....at the same time improve your music while you produce too....that should progress but you dont need perfect music to produce man that should be a constant progression toward perfection and as you feel out how your music works with an artist you learn more about things you should be doing that enhance the artist.

Just my 2 cents.

KENWOP

BROOKLYN'S FINEST
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 27
bigdmakintrax said:
If you live in any reasonably urban situation nowadays you got many opportunities to find an artist, that will pay you for your work....The metro DC area where I live might not really be a hip hop mecca either but I have been able to sell beats regularly for the last 4 years or so as well as a lot of other producers here, get yourself a beat CD together, go out to some venues (if you have them and pass a few out...talk to some artists..)
My best resources are small indie record labels that keep at least 4 or 5 artists..those kind labels are a dime a dozen, find out if they need beats....its that simple, I mean selling beats is not that hard....these cats go out and sell CD's on the street and make money for real....at least the ones I know...so there is a market for your music.....there is a twofold purpose for getting artists on your music......suppose your pathway to getting signed to a major or getting a placement never happens? you at least have the chance to get your music noticed even by accident, you never know....main thing is if you are serious take EVERY avenue available....a grind is a combination of things....hey that's not just some 29 or 30 something advice from some book thats the reality of the craft if you are underground producing.....artists have cliques and camps and they move around....they will even tell other emcees.....at the same time improve your music while you produce too....that should progress but you dont need perfect music to produce man that should be a constant progression toward perfection and as you feel out how your music works with an artist you learn more about things you should be doing that enhance the artist.

Just my 2 cents.

WORD! just gotta be out there at events and all types of venues spread the word network and good things will come

Sacred One

I Am One Of God Producers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
ok maybe yall misinterperted what I said. I kno a lot of peeps who wanna buy beats from me, but I wanna do it legit, like do yall use contracts or just sell it to them then give them the beat and thats it, thats what I'm talkin about

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Sacred One said:
How is the producers who aren't signed sellin beats, cuz I wanna go about selling some beats but I don't have any contracts or anything so whats should I do?

Ok man that's more focused after you explained it....you need to have contracts if you are a business, I have my own publishing company and registered business so I have to use paper and receipts etc for things I do not only selling beats, I use contracts and receipts, anyone that doesn't want to use it gets no beats...LOL i had a lawyer in Georgetown do a contract for me that I had, actually a client that I have did it when i licensed music for her yoga school, but I got the rough copies and use them, then I had a couple more versions for exclusive and non exclusive rights....

there are all kinds of terms that producers use to license beats, that in actuality is what I do because I maintain the integrity of the track and rights, so there is a bunch of legal jargon in there that basically covers me for the most part and controls how the track is to be used....or the contract is void....things like someone reselling the beat, chopping or remixing things that may lead to someone developing an entirely new and copyright worthy version of your work.....tons of other stuff, there are contracts, conferences and legal advice out there you just need to find the contracts that fit for you and what you want to do.....

selling a beat and getting money for it is sort of shakey because in actuality it is sort of understood you sold the beat....and also without any contracts.....you sold all of your rights to it...and if you deal with artists they really think they own it and it could become a problem from right there even if you tell them verbally it might not be enough....you need paper to define terms in a sale...that is also to protect you or at least give some protection in the event of a legal situation.