Snares on kicks?

-JG-

ill o.g.
Do you guys ever put snares on a kick. I've heard a few songs where this happens, but it seems like the snare doesn't have much low end when this happens to avoid clipping. What thoughts do you guys have on the matter? I don't think I've even tried it myself, I like my snares thick.

C

Carpe Diem

ive done it a few times, but only with a quiet, dirty snare...sometimes, it gives a kick that extra presence and grit...

E

Equality 7-2521

low end is not what causes clipping. its simply level above 0dBfs. if your gonna layer a kick on a snare and it starts to clip then you will have to add some more compression for those instances.

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
what jg is saying is right you will be able to have the snare and kick perceivably louder (without clipping) when you layer a snare with less low end with a kick
i.e kick -2db at 120hz
snare -2db at 120hz
together will clip (at 120hz)
less snare at 120hz (like -9db) will not clip (at 120hz)
you could also buss both the kick and snare and use a frequency dependant compressor at 120hz and squash it once it passes a certain threshold (at 120hz)
it is a similar (not the same) concept to when you have a deep bassline it is easier to mix with a less deep kick and a trebley bass line will allow a deeper kick

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Personally i think it sounds wack when producers do it..i only think its iight like 15-20 percent of the time..i do it like 5 percent of the time

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
i did it a few times and it was aight, but i try to stay from it....but i like putting the clap with the snare. Dre made it sound hot with the... This Is How We Do..beat.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
FuriouZ said:
Personally i think it sounds wack when producers do it..i only think its iight like 15-20 percent of the time..i do it like 5 percent of the time

well there is a wrong way to do it and aright way.. i personally on use something the Snare has and filter out what i dont want

J Beatz

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
dre has the snare and kick on the same beat in some of his songs an i think it sounds pretty good. i personally think its best for club like beat

Phiba Optix

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I dont do it myself personally... But like J Beatz said... it is for club style beats... cuz it makes it easier for cats to dance to the beat... Especially cats who cant dance, haha...

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Depending on the track - i do it

but on regular tracks sometimes i offset my loop or pattern by having 1 kick and 1 snare land on the same spot - to give it that POP -are you listening /

type of effect

Retro

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
ive done it only a few times in beats ive made but it wasnt a repetitive thing and i liked it. kind of like the Jedi Mind track 'Animal rap' where stoupe drops a kick+snare only a few times in the track and it sounded mad dope. i guess its how u use it which will determine whether or not itll sound good.

PhleX

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yea i like the layering dre did on how we do the clap with the snare, they even each other out....
i have tried using a snare on kick once or twise and it did sound allright but i rather put the snares on th claps... tthey complement each other, cause the snare dont have the flang that the clap does and the clap dont have the same hit as the snare....

bassic

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Heatmakers do it all the time....Its all about wot type of track u got and on top of that, how its mixed

Tha1AndOnlyDJT

DJ Will Kill
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 36
I like matchin my hi hat with the kick. I most often use two kicks and two snares. or a snare claps combo.

C

chase

It all comes down 2 what your objective with the track is.

If the kick needs that xtra punch that u get at around 250-400Hz, then u work on that frequency spectrum on the kick itself or layer a snare sound that fills it properly while adding some body and depth 2 the kick.

If you just want your kick to bang with that "boom" chest fill, then snare layering is "almost" useless here.

At the end of the day what sounds you choose for layering just depends on what sound or feel you are after. With that said, you can layer just about all kinds of different starnge sounds 2gether as long as it workz.