so i found out i used the same sample as...

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
a producer i can't stand. i listened to the song on youtube and i realize the sound quality isn't great there but i could tell the beat isn't nearly as creative or energetic as mine. i didn't just put a beat on a sample. i layered mine and chopped it up and rearranged it. i made it into something that hasn't been heard before.

i almost threw up when i found out it was puff daddy that originally sampled the same song as me. i truly felt like i was being creative when making my beat. then i find out that corporate no talent scumbag got to it before i did? why couldn't it have been someone else?

the thing that sucks is that i felt this was the best beat i've made. will i end up getting zero respect if i put these sound vibrations out there to be heard? or is it just a matter of how dope my beat is?

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
this is one of the reasons i stopped sampling except on real rare occasions a while ago...this whole part of the sampling game seems so backwards to me. you spend hours working on a beat that you make your own only to find out the sample's already been flipped, sometimes by puff, sometimes by 5 other producers.

generally these days though, you need to dig deeper than stuff diddy looped up back in the 90's. maybe this one is an exception but i gotta say now that i listen to some soul music i mean the dude took some extremely obvious and huge songs. the one you sampled may be an exception but diddy was never known for getting deep in the crates, as far as i know. if im wrong though feel free to correct me there.

what really matters though is if you got better while making it and you're happy with what you made.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
put it out ... who gives a shit if somebody else sampled it ... producers get so deep into there craft that they forget they are producing for rappers/hip hop fans/consumers .. ur not producing so other producers can cosign ur samples and techniques, ur not producing for other producers. if u are, ur hustling backwards. if u got good music .. put it out.. simple as that

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
The world is a big place! There is always a good chance someone else is trying to flip the same samples that you are. If you sit back and worry if someone else flips the same samples that you use......you lose! If your flip sounds better to you drop that shit! Could be your chance to show up one of the "big boyz". You have to remember that "hip hop" derived from samples. To move away from sampling is to move away from hip hop IMO.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
You're from WI??? Where about??? Who cares if someone sampled it. You've done a whole different thing with it. Just look at how many times the same thing has been sampled by different producers and put on the radio. It happens, you can't have them all is the way I look at it, u know? Just flip it differently and you're all good IMO.

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Man Joe, I used this stylistics sample a week ago on on of my beats, and you've all heard the sample before, but I flipped that shit so rediculous. Don't worry about who used the sample first nigga that's what hiphop is.

ill o.g.
You're from WI??? Where about??? Who cares if someone sampled it. You've done a whole different thing with it. Just look at how many times the same thing has been sampled by different producers and put on the radio. It happens, you can't have them all is the way I look at it, u know? Just flip it differently and you're all good IMO.

i'm smack dab in the middle. i live in a hick town where there is no music scene. no emcees to work with.

as far as the sample...i sampled a song from the rocky soundtrack

check them both out...i do happen to think the bass drum sounds better in his version...other than that its pretty boring

here is mine:
hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5456054&q=hi

here is an instrumental of puffys beat:

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
lol..... u didnt know that sample was used before? that song is a classic lol... anyways it never hurts to put it out... personally i like the orginal version better but if u have emcees that wanna rock it go for it.... plenty of songs, prolly thousands of songs, throughout the history of hip hop have been resampled... sometimes even the same producers will reuse a sample they did in the past. just put it out ...dont even think twice about it

ill o.g.
lol..... u didnt know that sample was used before? that song is a classic lol... anyways it never hurts to put it out... personally i like the orginal version better but if u have emcees that wanna rock it go for it.... plenty of songs, prolly thousands of songs, throughout the history of hip hop have been resampled... sometimes even the same producers will reuse a sample they did in the past. just put it out ...dont even think twice about it

i'd never heard that song. i knew the sample was so cool that it must have been used so i did a google search using the keywords 'rocky','sample', and 'hip hop'...thats when i found out

i haven't been into hip hop for very long. a couple years ago i used to live into a guy that got me into the underground stuff. fast forward to this year...i started making hip hop beats because i found some cheap software and realized there was no need for me to have an instrument to create music.

i better just stick with using psychedelic rock samples

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Yo man,

I have no speakers at work, however I'm 99% certain I know the sample you're talking about. It's the one with the horns that Puffy sampled on Victory.

Anyways, it's nothing original, Puffy jacked that shit from Tuff Crew, they flipped that sample back in '89.

Listen to the song called "Going the Distance" from Back to Wreck Shop, here's a link to CD Universe's page:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1038100/a/Back+To+Wreck+Shop.htm

EZ
Dahk

ch3ck-ch3ck

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
It doesn't really matter if Diddy flipped it before. Everybady and they mamas flipped the Funky Worm track, yet nobody cares.

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
EPMD also sampled that song too. But as others have already said, just sample whatever you want and don't worry about others flipping it. I know its hard to avoid thinking that someone else made a similar beat, but forget about others sampling the same music.

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
put it out ... who gives a shit if somebody else sampled it ... producers get so deep into there craft that they forget they are producing for rappers/hip hop fans/consumers .. ur not producing so other producers can cosign ur samples and techniques, ur not producing for other producers. if u are, ur hustling backwards. if u got good music .. put it out.. simple as that

yes sir!

do you, player! yours might be a thousand times better.

DJ Udo

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Man.. just do you... I try to find samples that have not been used before, but if you are going to do it, just make it hot.. that's all...

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
that sucks guy and no offense but I dont like your version at all. The Victory beat is amazing I don't care how much effort went into it as long as it sounds good. That song has always been a favorite of mine. In time you will probably learn that most of the hip hop classics are fairly simple looped samples but you are def in the wrong saying your beat took more talent than his.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
its cheezy puttin out a song thats been done unless ur shyt is alot better

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
yea i dident wanna bust ur bubble but then i read what u said bout the orginal beat in ur first post...
IM sorry man but your joint dont even come close to touching that victory beat...
Not by a long shot.....

Still i do agree with what others have said as far as it dont matter if a sample has been used before... but still you may wanna be a little more humble next time u claim ur version is better then whats already out.. ;)

class...

ill o.g.
its cheezy puttin out a song thats been done unless ur shyt is alot better

when i created the beat i thought i was the first to do it.

my beat is 100% me

i had no idea puff daddy did it because i do everything i can to stay away from listening to music like that.

T

TheMost

I also sampled that song in a different way, fuck it man as long as you bring youre own touch to it. I would rather no one used it , i try to use stuff no one used and if it has i try to modify the shit out of it. This track i did with this beta my emcee like it so much its not gonna be the intro to are record.