so now everyone's doing a Kanye west????

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirell

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
...what do y'all think. is it being "up to date" when so many of the tracks i hear by budding producers now all have some sped up soul sample going on? one only needs to look on the beat this comp site and listen to most of the beats there, as well as alot of other site around with beats posted up, or even some local competitions. is this keeping up with the times or just being a bit un creative? or is it something that hasnt even been done enough?

i feel silly as i dont have anything put up there since i was away from home during the deadline. but i still thought i ask the question. cos last yr so many beats i heard were all Neptunes based... they will come out with stuff again this yr and i swear it'll be the new neptune sound everyone starts to use.

when Dre came out with the indian sample for addicted, indian loops were and still are being done to death. is it that these guys have such a huge influence that producers (especially the budding ones) cant but adapt that style or does it just happen to be a style that you guys have always wanted to use, but were just beaten to the finish line by the other guy, or just going with da flow.

i dont mean to diss no one as being lame either cos, i know how it was when i had and still do stuff that sounded like a Dre/eminem track, especially eminems MMIII album. i felt like i was in the studio with those guys, so all my tracks that i had done long before EM came out were then said to be off of his album.

but when you hear 15 tracks and 9 of them have a soul loop, i begin to wonder if thats not just a bit too much??

E

Equality 7-2521

i feel you and i think you addressed the situation well. i was thinking the same thing today. i heard about 4 tracks in one day with sped up vocals and im thinking what the fuck is goin on here. to be honest i dont usually feel it. the sped up vocal thing has to be done realy well to sound good. if you dont do it perfectly it sounds corny. and let me say now that i havnt tried it and dont have a the desire to at the moment either.

but yo i think its not just sped up vocals. its other things too. like corny clap snairs n shit and wack ass keyboard melodies.

its obvious that every single producer on this planet is influenced by other producers. so i guess that the neptunes or kayne are the influences of those who do the sped up vocals n shit. and whos to say if they are influenced by those artists simply because they sell records or because they actually like that style of music better than other shit thats available.

my inkling is that there is a little bit of dick riding going on.

"i hope you get burned by the trends that are hot this summer" - Sage Fancis.

boneyboys

50 Million Year Trip
ill o.g.
Humm, it's an interesting one, but I think it's OK, all music goes in waves of styles, so with dance it was techno, then electroclash, with rock it was britpop then garage rock, I guess now hip-hop is in soul/kanye stylee phase. For me its not getting too boring casue I hardly listen to any modern mainstream hip-hop so what I hear here is kinda fresh, but I'd imagine esp in america people are getting pretty fed up with it. The solution is create the new hot genre yourself and then say "I've been doing it for years." Get producing original stuff, but don't forget to have a look back at the past, it can do you no harm.

DJDRAGN9

The Don Gorgon
ill o.g.
I agree with boney i noticed most music (definately hip hop) goes through phases by everyone and thier momma trying to immitate wats hot. Everyone is just tryin to make a quick dollar or make that hit single like a kanye or neptunes do with thier own sound. Some times its not even the producers fault either cuz im always being asked to make a kanye west sped up type beat cuz they want a song like they hearing now on the radio.Most times i have to turn them down cuz ENUFF IS ENUFF IM NOT KANYE (but i wish i had his record collection though! lol) ...HOLLA AT YA BOY

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
its a phase and it will pass. just gota learn how to ride the wave tho, cuz these type of beats are the ones alot of rappers wana buy today. mainstream producers, unless you are already established like dre or neptunes, usually are told what type of beats to make, just gota adapt.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
the thing you guys have to remember is this: as a producer, you have the advantage of bgreaking new artists with your own sound and style.

if you can generate a buzz around artists that you produce for, than that will generate interest all by itself- regardless of trends. YOU are the producer. find YOUR niche.... "riding the wave" only has short term benifits, unless you are well connected.

i say, if you can connect with up and coming mc's and work closely with that artist as his sole (or one of his main) producers and generate a buzz by releasing material and DOING THE WORK to get it out there... thats what will make you a success- at least, the odds are better than just shopping around beats. make people come to you for YOUR flavor, YOUR style.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Every style that comes out really isn't new....it is a progression or something borrowed that came before that might get exploited....sped up sampling was nothing new.....its just how Kanye used that one aspect that has been used many times before but meshed with hot and complexdrum programming....breakdowns etc.....and marketed it......think about that,,,,,that's for everyone....I bet you can go back in the hip hop archives and take something from the 80's 90's or whatever and it just might be one sound or some dope way someone made a beat ....(just one bar or just one sound that was dope) and find a way to implement that in a new concept and there you go....yeah it sounds easy doesn't?....all of this dirty south is based on the Original heavy bass and Luke skywalker....not a lot new.....just that the hats carry the beats a lot and maybe the 808s don't get held as long...LOL....but anyhow just some food for thought......Hip Hop is not Rocket Science and with that I hate when so called Rocket Scientists or some kid going to school trying to be one try and analyze hip hop.....Keep it Simple and build .....that will go far.....and maybe learn some music theory along the way....

A

ACEBEATZ

That's wut i said previously once i think there is a lack of creativity. There is so much sped up vocal based beats!. I know hip-hop roots is to sample a beat and add drum and bass but i think that with the tools we got today more poeple should try to invent melodies and build arrangements.

Listen to any beat i make, i build the melody. On maybe 250 beats i have, i made around 20 beats that have a sample as the song main loop. Tcheck out this month beat this beat i made, it's only arrangements and automations, effects, its a lot of time of mixing for a little snippet of less than two minutes. There is like 23 channels of instruments and automations in that beats. Just drums i got 9 tracks (bongos,hi-hats,shakers,snares,etc..). With all effects in the track there is approximately 12 or 13 not including comp/gate and eq standard on each channels.

Cuz when you use a sample, it's easy, you use these days week or even months of work from an artist: it's all mixed and mastered already! Add bass and drums ( probably samples, already mastered), so that's why tracks sounds great without even knowing nothing of mixing and stuff. Before it was different, it was more sampler and machine to do beats. Now that everyone got fruity loop and sound forge, they all do beats. The problem is that now everyone claim to be a producer without doin a lot of work and without even knowing the range of work a producer got to do in order to be called so. With all the synths, patches like in reason or vst for example, we got the power to play a violin and make it sound like we want! Then it's when you compose original masterpieces. Why not make this sublime arrangements of orchestral instruments, work double or triple of the time, but make an original piece that will stay for a long time??

Holla Ace

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Yep...

Big D, as always - you made some very good points on this one. Music is and always will be regurgitated over and over to be tha new popular sound thats really jus tha old popular sound being mutated once again, but with that in mind -
"I think that it still doesnt dismiss tha fact that simply being un-original, or for that matter simply holding back what u can do creatively for a buck still makes you a follower instead of a leader".

I would never sacrifice my personal sound, or how i create my beats for tha simplicity of gettin on tha bandwagon. I feel like if i did that - What would be tha point of birthing all these tracks that i love like a fucking child??....It seems "SELF-DEFEATING" me. IMO...

Steez

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
DueceMade Ent. said:
Big D, as always - you made some very good points on this one. Music is and always will be regurgitated over and over to be tha new popular sound thats really jus tha old popular sound being mutated once again, but with that in mind -
"I think that it still doesnt dismiss tha fact that simply being un-original, or for that matter simply holding back what u can do creatively for a buck still makes you a follower instead of a leader".

I would never sacrifice my personal sound, or how i create my beats for tha simplicity of gettin on tha bandwagon. I feel like if i did that - What would be tha point of birthing all these tracks that i love like a fucking child??....It seems "SELF-DEFEATING" me. IMO...

Steez

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to add:

HIPHOP IS SAMPLING!!! When will people stop arguing that sampling is less creative or easier than writing and composing from scratch!???

See, tha reason i even mention - is cuz i do BOTH...Being a switch hitter in that area, I know what it take to create/mix/arrange a complete work with NO SAMPLES...

Thing is, I really think that BOTH are equally as EASY to do....Maybe that jus comes down to tha artist creating tha beat?
There are ALL of tha same FACTORSincluded in making a beat from "samples vs. from scratch"...i.e.:

MIXING<>AUTOMATION<>FILTERING(not all samples jus work right off tha bat! - For that matter, i dont think ive ever jus been able to throw a sample down and GO!...It jus doesnt happen!, You gotta mold that shit to fit!)<>ARRANGING<>EQ'ING<>COMPRESSING<>THA LIST GOES ON.....

I CANT IMAGINE HIPHOP W/OUT SAMPLES! - IT WOULD SUCK ASS!

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
PLEASE.. PLEASE.. LETS END THIS NONSENSE ONCE AND FOR ALL!

NO MORE OF THIS DEBATE.

please?

at the end of the day, do YOU. hwo many times can i say this before anyone listens? DO YOU. who cares how you get there, so long as you got dope beats? the point is to make dope music, and whatever gets you there, do it.... whatever you like to do, do it.

that, to me, is the end of the argument! we cant sit here and make rules for this.... on either side of the coin. as it stands, lets get back to the original thoughts behind the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

members online

No members online now.