So this represents Rap music?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
o4ktxtc6cc02up5ceiyx.jpg

I caught a few minutes of the Billboard Music Awards last night and as usual, it's a huge pile of nonsense. Over the years, Rap music has never been represented to the fullest at awards shows (namely the Grammys) and it's a shame because there's so much talent out there, yet the mainstream music listeners just don't know.

Now I get the fact that these award shows are there to give a statue to the most popular artist because that's what today's generation wants to see/hear. However, it just sucks.

When I turned it on last night, it was right when they showed the Top Rap Song. Iggy was nominated twice and Nikki Minaj for the other one, along with Big Sean and Bobby Shmurda. And Iggy wins. First of all, all those nominees are no good. Once again, I know that they're not going to nominate some underground cat that has wicked beats and a sick flow, I get that. But awards shows should represent Rap music to the fullest, not just by who sold the most records.

Iggy is popular and everyone loves her shit (except for the nonsense that she spits out and no one can understand) but to me, she's nowhere near being a rapper. Maybe what these award shows should do is have a Rap category, plus a Real Rap category. But again, that won't work because nobody cares about who's the best producer or rapper, it's all about who's "hot" and popular at the moment.

The thing these award show organizers need to realize is that they're hurting the music industry, and in this case, Rap music. This is because I look at it as this: if you're a person that doesn't listen to Rap then you watch this award show and all you see is this crap representing the Rap category, what would your impression of Rap music be? For this reason, this is why the Source awards were created back in the day because the nominees were actual rappers: BIG, Tupac, Mobb Deep, Dre, Eminem, Tribe, Snoop, etc. You'll never see those names nominated for a Billboard award unless they did a collab track with Taylor Swift.

So with that being said, it's just sad that the average person's take on Rap music is one of stupid beats with a dumb blonde claiming to be a "rapper".

I know award shows don't matter to a lot of us here at IllMuzik, but as I said previously, these organizers have to realize they're hurting the industry. I'm sure they don't care though because they just want to get as many high paying advertisers for their award show as possible.

Now for some good shit:

/* off my soap box */