so what's a good college 2 go 2 that teaches music production

Nvisible

ill o.g.
anyone kno a good college (possibly 4year0 that specializes in music production with a major like audioo engineering??........im outt

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I wonder how much it would cost to pay a great producer that is no olnger really makin moves to be a tutor for a few hours a week. If one had style an negeotion tactics they could pull that, i bet Shock-G (from ol digi underground) would do that for some grib,, an if you became friends you could stop paying an meet ill connections

Killah Tekniq

ill o.g.
Seoul P said:
Don't feel that I need to create another thread with this topic so I'll just post my question here along with his question. Are there any requirements in order to go to a music college like a good GPA?
Ive been wondering the same thing cuz my grades are boo-boo. I passed music class with a 98 though.:D

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Well most if not all major colleges have music degree's and theb within them they have audio engineering. But as far as a school totally specialized in that you should search (use search button) these forums because I remember someone making a thread about a school that was for that, or use google. But I doubt it would be better from an Audio Engineering degree from any major college.

Killah Tekniq

ill o.g.
Yeah Ive heard of Berklee, they seem to be aight. Also check out SAE & Fullsail.
I want to go to SAE when I graduate HS.

Sha MUSiiC

ill o.g.
^^^Yea it does.

I'm already in school but my major is audio/video production. So I'm getting both sides of it.

I'm thinking about going to Full Sail to pick up some classes once I graduate in less than I year. I might just go ahead and go for the degree there period.

jkman82

ill o.g.
Im looking into Sae also, either the one in la (not sure if i wanna get out ny) or goto the one in ny

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
Ok, I know many people who went to full sail and got full shafted. They act as if the money you spend there is gonna pay off in the end. Well, not if you intend on making a career in the music field.

As far as learning, you'll get a lot though at Full Sail.

Sae Institute on 34th Street in NYC is pretty dope. Relatively affordable to attend there, while getting a good education. I've been to the campus twice, when Remix Magazine has this thing called "Remix Hotel", where they display all sorts of new gear, have seminars with successful cats who've done shit already in the industry, and host parties in NYC where some talented artists perform for you.

I went to the Art Institute of New England in Boston. Right around the corner from Berklee, but doesn't offer a music theory degree. Berklee has music as its main focus, while AI New England specializes in Audio Production, Graph Design, Multimedia, Video Production, etc. I went for my associates degree and got ALOT out of it. I'm not trying to brag here, but I've compared my knowledge with people who've had a bachelor's degree, and I think what I paid for was more worth it.

BUT... If you're looking for education in the field, you have to consider some things: You're probably NOT going to get a job at a recording studio, and if you DO, then you'll probably stay as an intern for years until you quit. With the shape of the industry as it is, I just have to warn you about that. I lost my job in April at this world-class recording studio, and I haven't gotten back in the industry yet. Just doing small time projects here and there with people who I've made contacts with.

You have to ask yourself if an education is THAT worth it for you. You HAVE to WANT it REALLY BAD. And you have to have enough money to get yourself in school in the first place. Most people who graduated from my school with an audio production degree are either working corporate A/V at hotels (setting up mics and powerpoint presentations), interning at some studio/record label/jingle house/film suite, or, with most of them, working at guitar center, sam ash, your local movie theater, with mom and dad, burger king, etc.

I'm going to be paying off loans probably until I'm 40, and school was actually cheap where I went in Boston. I started off as a general assistant in NYC making $5.15 AN HOUR!!! Do you know how much my heart dropped when I got my BI-WEEKLY check for $349, and I had to PAY RENT in BROOKLYN??? Shit's maaaaad depressing.

In other words... You have to WANT it. You're probably best off just talking on forums, READING about audio and acoustics and how to construct ISO booths, and manuals and manuals and manuals and manuals. Then, practice, practice, practice, practice. You're never going to get a job in a studio if you don't intern FOR FREE somewhere first, and although they mostly take people who went to school for it, you can touch up your chops and apply for internships to learn more.

Hope this helped.

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
Unless you're really dedicated to working your ass off AND most likely not making major cash, go to a music school to start a career. Otherwise, get real, get a useful degree and do music on the side.

Some people do make it in the business in positions ranging from engineers to producers to musicians, but you need to look at where you'll be in 20 years...

For all of you that don't have good High School grades, go to a community college and prove yourself there. I know countless numbers of peeps that had crappy grades in High School, but attended UCLA and UCI after a few years at a Junior College.

Peace,

Ctrl

SeveredTies

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Shit man, I know University of Cincinnati has a college called CCM(College Conservatory of Music). They have all types of programs there but it is hard to get into. Check it out anyway. I know they only accept real talented people or people with hook-ups within the school. But if you know your music and are willing to jump through the hoops that they give you for admission, Go for it.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Institute of Audio Research in New York. (www.audioschool.com) i might go there after i go to a regular college. but check out the site, the skool has a lot to offer.

also, Juliart in NY.

and Dominguez Hill in Cali (where im most likely goin) has the major i want, Reording Engineering.

so yea hope that helped.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
school can't teach talent. its either god given or developed with a crazy amount of practice and effort. save your money.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
institute of audio research (IAR) in NYC isn't all that. It's a 6-month-accelerated course, affordable, but I haven't heard much about it.

I agree, Hi-Lo. I went to school for audio production so that I could learn both sides of the glass in the studio, and do everything myself. It does help, and most of the really good producers I was surrounded by in the studio were engineers in the past (who didn't go to school for it, but were always in the studio). With this knowledge, I can add a lot to what I'm already doing in terms of recording, but it's not something I NEEDED to make beats. I've been doing it since I was 14, and I didn't need it then either.

I'm almost mad that I "wasted time" going to school for audio production. Many people share this same regret. I wouldn't advise going unless you REALLY WANT to actually engineer, and get your name on the credits for recording and mixing (takes about 20-30 years to get to mixing usually) and you may get to nominate for the grammys if a track you had anything to do with goes gold or platinum. Aside from being around stars (gets old) that's pretty much it.

ill o.g.
hypnotist- aside from the career as an audio engineer....how was the quality of the education? i'm not sure if i'd go into this as my only livelihood, but as a part time job/hobby, is the experience good for something of that nature? where'd you go to school?