Social Sites Taking Over?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I've noticed over the past few years how more and more people are flocking to social sites such as Facebook and Twitter, and as a result there are lots of sites such as IllMuzik that have seen a big drop in member participation.

It's not a surprise, considering that on social sites you can do a lot there for free and be in touch with all your friends and family from all over the globe, but what about all the other sites?

It's not just IllMuzik, there are tons of sites that have seen a decrease. I've seen some forums that were once overflowing with "members currently online", yet now there's only about a dozen online at any given time.

So where does that put IllMuzik? I've seen things go up and down here, and there's also the factor that lots of our members have moved on, learned all they need/want to know about producing, and this is only natural. Yet to bring in new members can sometimes be a challenge because of those social sites.

What do you think?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Its that but even social sites are falling in numbers. People are kinda sick of the internet as far as how they "live" or spend their time. There a focus on the real world right now. People want to be out, living. Not to mention, when you learn enough you want to spread your wings. So, yea, all site are seeing low interaction, though people still log on and see whats poppin.

As far as the social sites, I think the next Gen Forum will incorporate embrace and/or expliot the social aspects of the new tecnologies. But offline engagment seems to be the next aspect of social media! So maybe theres a way to stay ahead of the curve. Something to plot about lol

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I've noticed that as well...

But social networks are just that....social networks...

I find forums more "intellectual" than social networks....many people who share the same interests talking about those interests and learning from one another....

Social networks are just ways for people to get together and make new friends and find old ones...

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I know a lot of people are intergrating their sites with the social sites.

So for example, if you post something on the site, it will update on your social page. Reverbnation is a good example. If you do something there, it will give you the option to tweet it and it will automatically reflect itself in the Facebook Band page.

I know it would be a lot of work but maybe you can do something like that on Illmuzik.

Like add a feature where you can click a button on a particular thread to share it will your people on Facebook.

So lets say, Raw Nature puts up a post, and I comment, I then have an option to share my comment on Facebook or send a tweet about that thread.

I have no idea how much PHP coding that would take.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i check in all the time... but if i dont see any new posts, and i dont have a new one to post myself, i keep it movin.. cant front.. but i do that to all the sites.. this site has the most posts by me than any other site im involved in, if thats any consolation.

oh yea... when i DO start a thread, i always post it here 1st... lol.. some sites dont even GET the post.

da relic

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Its that but even social sites are falling in numbers. People are kinda sick of the internet as far as how they "live" or spend their time.

I agree we get excited about something for a while then get real board with it real fast. At the height of facebook just a few months ago I could post pictures of my kids and have over 20 comments from family and friends. Now I post pics and maybe one or two comments. Its either because the time people spend on facebook is going down, or people are just tired of seeing my kids LOL.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I've noticed that as well...

But social networks are just that....social networks...

I find forums more "intellectual" than social networks....many people who share the same interests talking about those interests and learning from one another....

Social networks are just ways for people to get together and make new friends and find old ones...
I totally agree, forums offer that intellectual dynamic you typically just do not find on a social network.

I know a lot of people are intergrating their sites with the social sites.

So for example, if you post something on the site, it will update on your social page. Reverbnation is a good example. If you do something there, it will give you the option to tweet it and it will automatically reflect itself in the Facebook Band page.

I know it would be a lot of work but maybe you can do something like that on Illmuzik.

Like add a feature where you can click a button on a particular thread to share it will your people on Facebook.

So lets say, Raw Nature puts up a post, and I comment, I then have an option to share my comment on Facebook or send a tweet about that thread.

I have no idea how much PHP coding that would take.
You know, thats actually a great idea if its feasible for Fade to code in. I think just injecting some of the activity of ILL into the social sphere might really help get it some more attention if your looking to step it up right now.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
** Looks up from FB**

Huh?

Yo Sucio - "offline engagment seems to be the next aspect of social media"
Thats called just social interacting lol.. As in real person , Christ we gotta get out more!

On the real this spot is invauable and even if people are getting offline more people are always going to "google" for an answer to a question find this spot and then get hooked .

We need a like button on the posts!

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
I think it's an easy way to get your friends together to go out and do shit together....set up events for friends and relatives....I like facebook a lot. I like that it's easy to stay in touch with friends/family when they are far away....which is good in my case....I think a Facebook setup on this site would bring a shitload of traffic here...I would consider it if it is doable, of course.

I hated myspace from day one...it became a spam fest with bulletins and messages from all kinds of shit...and it was very annoying...which eventually caused me to cancel my account...

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
All you guys are right on the money!

It's true, it's a cycle, from my experience it will bounce back. One of the things is for example, in October IllMuzik will be online for 10 years at that point, whereas lots of sites have come and gone. It really depends on what you offer on your site. When Facebook first came out it was this huge thing and it still is but now it's more or less a staple for some people so eventually it will fade away like MySpace or Blackplanet (LOL I forgot about that one).

As for the Like button, ya it's actually doable, there's a script that someone wrote that integrates into the forum but there was something about the script I didn't like (I can't remember). I can look at it again but I always prefer to do it myself and not rely on someone else's code. Of course that will drive traffic to here, I think it would be a huge boost, but it still all starts with members posting here in the first place.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
I hated myspace from day one...it became a spam fest with bulletins and messages from all kinds of shit...and it was very annoying...which eventually caused me to cancel my account...
Me too, it became a used condom for wack music promotion! I deleted my account a while ago now and proud of it. lol. Theres way better alternatives anyways if your just tryin to get your tracks up on the internet.

All you guys are right on the money!

It's true, it's a cycle, from my experience it will bounce back. One of the things is for example, in October IllMuzik will be online for 10 years at that point, whereas lots of sites have come and gone. It really depends on what you offer on your site. When Facebook first came out it was this huge thing and it still is but now it's more or less a staple for some people so eventually it will fade away like MySpace or Blackplanet (LOL I forgot about that one).

As for the Like button, ya it's actually doable, there's a script that someone wrote that integrates into the forum but there was something about the script I didn't like (I can't remember). I can look at it again but I always prefer to do it myself and not rely on someone else's code. Of course that will drive traffic to here, I think it would be a huge boost, but it still all starts with members posting here in the first place.
I remember reading about one of these scripts a while back too....I think its prob fairly easy to write your own actually if I remember correctly?

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
I agree, Fade..

That like button is awesome...does a lot of wonders...

Even a "share" option would be awesome...

Facebook is different from the black planets and myspaces because of one thing..

Minimal spam...

Nothing turns people off online more than spam...which both sites had plenty of. Facebook has done a spectacular job in removing those spam accounts...which is why FB is getting even bigger...shit...they even have a movie coming out about it...

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Its true. Plus I think what makes FB more attractive to a lot of people now vs myspace is the fact that each persons profile isnt infested with shitty slow-loading graphics. You can only have what they allow which is pretty minimal.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
LOL @ Double Penetration, oops I mean Dream Police.

I looked at that script again, too complicated so I just did my own, it's up now at the top of each thread, give it a try, works on my end. :)