Interviews Some Guy

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
SomeGuy001a.jpg

Some Guy is the 2011 Battle That! Champion. After not having competed in the battle before, he took everyone by surprise by showcasing some very strong beats in each round of the battle, then eventually beating Yungbeats in the finals. Let's see what Some Guy has to say about his Battle That! win.

So what's with the name? Are you looking to be a regular beat maker?

I'm looking to be the opposite of a regular beat maker. I'm trying to let the music speak for itself. As the teacher KRS1 said in My Philosophy: "Rap is like a set up, a lot of games, a lot of suckas with colorful names. I'm so and so, I'm this I'm that, but they're all just wick wick wack". True in 1988, and true today.

What's your setup?

I'm running your basic studio set up right now. All my synthesizer work is done on the Ensoniq SQ80. That's my go to workhorse synthesizer. You can hear it in 98% of my tracks. Other than that I'm all in box, with all the usual suspects. Sometimes I break out the MPC2000XL with the SCSI Zip Drive when I need that real MPC swing. But I try not to unleash that beast unless I need to.

Why did you decide to enter the Battle That! Competition?

I was trying to check out the entries like I do every year and accidentally clicked on the sign up link. There was no turning back at that point.

How did it feel winning the title?

I can't front, it felt incredible. It felt like I won a Grammy, then had a foursome with J-Lo, Christina Milian, and Lauren London in their prime. I definitely recommend winning it if you haven't yet.

Were there any rounds where you thought you would lose?

Yeah any time you line up a sampled track against a non-sampled anything could happen. It's all up to the judges. So maybe the second (Sucio) and fifth (Yungbeats) had me the most worried.

SomeGuy002b.jpg

How did you put together the winning beat?

Well since I submitted my first four beats at the beginning of the battle I decided to wait on the last one. When I found out I had advanced I knew I had to come with some tiger uppercut, hadouken, sonic boom, yoga flame, t-bone steak to your grill fire napalm banger.
So I started bangin on the pads and that's what came out.

If you didn't compete in the battle, who do you think would/should have won?

I was impressed with Yungbeats, Sucio, Dacalion, Iceman. It was wide open really. Anybody could have taken it.

Are you planning on entering it next year? What about the monthly Beat This! Competition?

I really have no idea where or what I'll be doing next year. But for now I think I'm gonna retire on top like George Foreman.

Is there any of your music that you want people to check out?

Not at the moment. I'm working hard with a few different artists. Hopefully 2012 is the year I can quit my job at Jack In The Box and make a name for myself as a beat maker.

Any shout outs you'd like to give?

Shout outs to Uppercut Sound. The end.