Some very relevant points on sampling in Hip-Hop

Wizdom

Soul Collector
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
yes, yes, ya'll... good article. funny thing is that i see the composed vs. sample "beefs." it's even worse when you have folks "infighting" for samples...

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Damn! Kno must be reading my mind or some shit!
"Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some fucking burgers."
OMG that is so on point! I love that ish!
ONE

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Great read Kno is easily my favorite sample based producer, he truly has an amazing ear for putting sounds together. I hate people who are overly proud they can play guitar and think that it takes more talent to have someone teach you how to pluck strings than it does to match up and arrange sounds from different genres and time periods. I also hate how they claim its stealing while they sit there and play hundreds of songs that other people wrote for guitar.

Daymo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Good article.

The same is true with most creative pursuits. We as beatmakers/producers listen with different ears. When we listen to a track we are listening to the technical aspects of the production and assessing the techniques used. For instance an amateur Cinematographer will watch a film and be studying the camera angles used, the lighting techniques etc whereas an average audience will not notice any of this but will instead view the film as a whole.

What matters to the audience is not the technique but the end result (whether it was looped, chopped, replayed etc is entirely beside the point – if it sounds good then it sounds good.)

Why destroy a good loop with chopping for nothing more than to show how technically adept you are? An audience is not concerned with how the beat was made but whether or not it sounds good.

Cheers
Daymo

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
@lazyeyes: dat is de producer van cunninlyguists en hij heeft daarbuiten ook nog wat ander werk gedaan.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
that was a dope article. I don't know if I've heard their beats, but the philosophy is right on.

An audience is not concerned with how the beat was made but whether or not it sounds good.

This is some wisdom right here, this should be on the homepage of Ill in big letters....

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
Good article.

The same is true with most creative pursuits. We as beatmakers/producers listen with different ears. When we listen to a track we are listening to the technical aspects of the production and assessing the techniques used. For instance an amateur Cinematographer will watch a film and be studying the camera angles used, the lighting techniques etc whereas an average audience will not notice any of this but will instead view the film as a whole.

What matters to the audience is not the technique but the end result (whether it was looped, chopped, replayed etc is entirely beside the point – if it sounds good then it sounds good.)

Why destroy a good loop with chopping for nothing more than to show how technically adept you are? An audience is not concerned with how the beat was made but whether or not it sounds good.

Cheers
Daymo

amen preacher!

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
Am i a retard if i never heard of that dude KNO? cus it seems everyone here is pretty familiar with him..

same thing I never heard of him either.

Althought I agree with that dude, I think none of us can't deny that : you definitely feel more satisfaction when you chopped something even if it's just a little different then when you just looped something and added a drum.

But let me only say this : it's easier for a great keyboard player to learn sampling than it is for a great sampler to learn how to play the keyboard pretty good.

------------------------------

And let me add this : it's FUCKIN hard to take elements from different beats and make something out of it!!

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
werd, sample everything, if they notice, that means you're doing something right...

i sample whatever the fuk i want. if people say its stealing "good" cuz im a criminal. i chop em, loop em, or leave em alone, whatever the beat needs. and i also love freaking the same ass samples that my fav. producers in the past have. in fact i love testing my production capabilities to those, just to see what i do with these sounds that this dude used.
try it sometime, see how different you are to others.
and for the whole thing about either if its dope or not, "c'mon who even has to say that, thats just the way it is" nobody likes wack shit