Something to think about...

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

We started talking about this at work, I wanted to ask the people here what they thought about it...

If you were born and raised in a part of Africa where there was a large European influence (Algeria, Zimbabwe or South Africa, for example), and your ethnic background is ''white' (English, French or Dutch, for example), and you move to America and become a naturalized citizen, can you say that you are African-American?

Thanks

Nick

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Well... I was born in Canada, I'm a canadian citizen, therefore im Canadian.. so I'm guessing the same applies to all other countries ;)

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Hey Im indo but where all dutch ( and stoned ) in the Netherlands. So yeah, african american he is.

Would you call south american indians Spanish/Portugese too ?

G

GiftOfGab

Definitely he's an African-American, ou don't have to be black to be African.......And just like Michael Jackson said, they are coloured

Peace
GOG

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

When filling out census forms and applying to unversities, jobs, etc., can he say that he is African American to take advantage of some of the benefits provided exclusively to African Americans?

Thanks

Nick

B

Briellz

Ugh Oh.....touchy topic. Well Im an African American......

Society is sooo fucked up now days....to be honest with you...colored people wouldn't accept that shit now days. If your not BROWN skinned...then no. Now I sound like a racist....which im 100% not...Im just telling how it is threw the eyes of a black man.

Maybe they can call him European Afro AMerican.

B

BeatTRibe

Originally posted by vitaminman
When filling out census forms and applying to unversities, jobs, etc., can he say that he is African American to take advantage of some of the benefits provided exclusively to African Americans?

What benefits ? I don't think there are any advantages since most affirmative action programs have been dismantled.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

So, if my friend Angus Arseculeratne, who is from India, finally gets his American citizenship...can we call HIM and American Indian? Or maybe an Indian American?

How about in England, where people from India/Pakistan are simply called 'Asians'?

Hmmmmmm......

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
it would be indian american. jus like africans are african americans or polish americans. but in the ideal society it should just be americans. not even. jus people. but on one hand the heritage is good. i like to hear diff music from a round the world. the awesome violin and piano peices from italy tot he amazing rythem of latin music so in some ways the different cultures are good. but in todays society(and all thru time i guess) it goes beyond that into hatred and discrimination, and that aint cool ya know.

and as far as asians you could say that because they are from the continent of asia but thats like calling canadians americans because canada is in north america. its just a matterof peoples ignorance towards knowledge of other cultures.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

And what if my good friend Peter Green, who is from Nebraska, moves to India and gets citizenship....would he be an American Indian?

And what if my good friend Avarae John, who is from the Navaho reservation in northern Arizona, decides to move in with Peter Green in India and gets her citizenship....

Would she become a Native American Indian?

Nick

T

ThePryme

OK,
nationality - The status of belonging to a particular nation by origin, birth, or naturalization.

If your born in Africa your an African regardless of your race. If you get your naturalization through citizenship then you would be an american. Hence African American. I suppose that you could consider me African if My mom went on a trip there and I was born and then we left the next day. You should be able to get the grants and such because you are technically an African American.

B

BeatTRibe

Originally posted by vitaminman
Hey,

What's a Dine'?

Nick

Navajo...actually Navajo was a pejorative used by outsiders, Dine' is really what they call themselves.

B

BeatTRibe

Originally posted by ThePryme
You should be able to get the grants and such because you are technically an African American.

Again, what grants ? I don't know anyone getting grants cuz they're are African-American.