Interviews Soul Theory

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
So much heat is coming from the south lately and I'm not talking about the sun or the incredible baseball season Florida is having. I'm speaking of that hip hop heat. The fire that's blazing in many lyricists and producers, ready to burn in the form of a sick track that will sweetly violate your eardrums with dope samples and vocals. I had the pleasure to sit and "crush" it up with Memphis born Soul Theory, a producer truly repping this so called Florida "heat". He has lived in North Carolina, Brooklyn, NY and Miami so it's no wonder he has such an ill variety when it comes to naming the producers that influenced him in the game; Jay Dee, Alchemist, Pete Rock and of course DJ Premier. Join me as I meditate with the Soul.

What it look like "Beat Pimpin"? You are one busy dude. I respect your grind though, thank you for taking time to chill with me!

Let's get it! Ha-ha! Thanks to you, I really appreciate the opportunity.

My taste buds are in favor with your flavor LOL, "The Documentary" is that heat! How'd you come up with that?

Word, good looking out. With that beat my aim was simply to hit the listeners with something different, I wanted the drums to talk to you. I found a sample with vocals and bells; it was a real short clip, but I chopped it anyway and went right to work. One of my favorite beats of '08.

I'm telling you, that has to be one of my favorite underground beats, I'll be making a list, checking it twice, etc etc. See what I dig is the drums, I like heavy drums, that's that head knocking heat right there.

Ha-ha! Most definitely, I'm glad you like it. My artist Knowledge Medina has got something written for that. We still have to lay it down but trust me it's going to be crazy.

soultheory1.jpg

Believe me your trust is certified after listening to your music player. If Soul says it's hot, it's a damn scorcher people! I can't wait for that and speaking of emcees, I read on your personal page that your first attraction to hip hop was rhyming. Who influenced you to emcee?

Well it was really DJ Premier and Gangstarr who got me inspired to be a part of hip hop, it all started in high school. I would free-style just mess around but it kept progressing for me. Eventually, I started recording and I stuck with it. One thing led to the next and here I am.

Soon after that you wanted beats that best satisfied your flow, hence Soul Theory was born. What equipment stole your "producers' virginity" and compare that to your current "jump off".

I started making beats with FL Studio 3.56 and currently I'm on version 7. I like to stick to the basics when it comes to making beats, FL Studio all day. I also use Acid 3.0 to chop samples. Aside from the software, I use various midi controllers like the Akai MPD16 and the Akai MPK49, it's crazy because back when I started all I had was a crappy computer, FL, Acid, and a mouse! Ha-ha but I made it work. Today my studio is much nicer with better monitors, computers, Technics, ProTools and Rode mics, etc.

Loops is the "beauty behind the beats" huh? Well after hearing your music, you definitely have me hungry for more (pours a bowl of cereal).

Ha-ha! Yeah the name is extra wack, but the program shits on any MPC if you ask me.

(Chomping) I bet you have a lot of flashy buttons and stuff in your lab that I could press and just annoy the hell out of you. Wait a minute! Damn, you said Gangstarr and Preem? I just caught that. Let me guess "Dwyk" had you hype huh? "Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is!" Simply fire!

Yeah, that was my joint! I'm relatively young in the game. A lot of artist and people I work with came up on Rakim and EPMD, you know? I'm only 23, I came up listening to Gang Starr, Pete Rock and Alchemist.

23? I respect you even more for being as dope as you are. I'm just glad you didn't say "I grew up listening to Ja Rule or Lil Bow Wow". No offense to you guys I dig your dedication. Bow Wow you cute and all that, holla at me! (Wink)

Ha-ha-ha-ha hell no. I know I'm young and no disrespect to Bow Wow and Ja, but naw.

(Daps) Let me ask you this, would you rather strictly emcee or produce and why?

That's funny you should ask because I've actually been doing a lot of thinking about this lately. I'm always going to be an emcee at heart but I think that at this point production is my key to the game. The hustle of a producer and an emcee are completely different. I'm built to rhyme, I love recording and all that but the emcees' hustle to get on just involves so much bullshit that you don't have to deal with as a producer. Production is paying the bills and that's what people know me for, it only makes sense for me to focus on that for now. Once I get fully established as a producer, I'll bring people to the other side. That's the plan.

NICE, the billion dollar man with the billion dollar plan, make it work for you baby! I'm really feeling those tracks in your player. I won't even lie; I tried a few methods to download them but nothing worked! Hit my Gmail with a track! Ha-ha! Reks is pretty dope and Skyzoo, I'm feeling his laid back delivery. How was it working with them on "Money On The Ave"?

Ha-ha! You're funny. Reks, that's my big homie, he's family, workin with him is always going to be a good time. Basically, I made the beat, brought it to Reks the next day and he wrote the hook on the spot. We laid the song down a few days later then sent it to Sky. He was down to be a part of it so he did his thing and it was a wrap. All in all it was dope. Both of them definitely came with their A-game, they had good chemistry on the beat and the topic. Overall great music.

soultheory2.jpg

Yes indeed the chemistry was there, it has that good times vibe you dig? But of course you dig; you're the one that dug it up from the mines. "Money On The Ave." has a catchy hook thanks Reks and Skyzoo, it's a head bopping beat for sure! Can you tell me where you got that chop from? What's your "Theory" on digging for beats, do you already have an idea of what you want or do you just throw on your helmet, grab your pick ax and go in?

I forget the artist's name, man I came across the "Go Get The Money" sample on accident. It wasn't until I recorded it and chopped the parts I wanted that I realized that at the end of the song there was a part where it faded out and was done. But they came in with this little accapella that had nothing to do with the song I planned on sampling, LOL. I was like I gotta flip this, so I went back and resampled it at the tempo I needed and then went to work on it. Now when it comes to digging and choosing samples, most of the time it depends on the type of beat I'm in the mood to make. If I'm in the mood to make some gutter, grimy shit, I'll go through my records and look for something that I think will work. A lot of times I'll come across other samples that I like but they won't fit with what I feel like making so what I'll do is record them and just store them away. I'll just keep doing that until I find something that fits what I was looking for in the first place, once I do find the right sample, I'll go to work. It works good 'cause sometimes when I don't feel like turnin the table on and searching I usually have a nice stash already on the hard drive that I can pick from.

Smart, we all need a "secret stash". I actually have a stash of my own. Whenever I make pancakes I cook the entire batch and freeze the rest so my daughter can just pop them in the microwave when I'm too lazy to cook! Ha-ha! But unfortunately, I think I took up enough of your time so we're going to wrap it up! It's time to get "Crushed" Soul, you ready? You pick the game "Speed Round", "This or That", "Dumb Ass Questions" or "Remix It" what's it going to be? (Jeopardy theme song plays).

LOL, ok word I'm with it! Let's see, I guess speed round.

(Claps hands) YaY! Ha-ha! I fucking love this shit! Ok you ready? Here we go: Black

Obama

(Giggle) Dirty

Samples

Oowww! Tampa

Rays! What?

BOO!! (GONG) You lose!! (Pulls NY Yankees fitted down tighter/pops brim)

What you mean?! LOL!

That was crazy fun!! Before I put this joint out, are there any smoke signals you want to send to anyone?

Yeah of course! Big thanks again for the love PinkCookiz and IllMuzik. A shout to Knowledge Medina, look out for him he's on the come up. Shout out to Reks, Wally Gramz, and Statik Selektah. Look out for the upcoming Reks & Soul Theory street album, it'll be dropping in early 2009. One strong love to all the fans and listeners. MySpace.com/SoulTheoryProductions that's the headquarters!

Yes! Yes! Much love right there baby. Yo! Soul Theory, it has been a pleasure kicking it with you. You have been officially "Crushed" by PinkCookiz; thank you so much for connecting with my passion. Promise you won't forget us lil' folk and come back so I can get that exclusive interview.

Good looks again, it's been real. No doubt, I got you! Ha-ha! But for real, I appreciate it.

NO Doubt!? Ummm... Ha-ha! Keep banging baby!

So kiddies what have we learned today? We have learned that "dirty samples" is what keeps Soul Theory's passion flowing. We've learned that there are four producers in the Hip Hop Universe that cannot be fucked with. And one particular producer is trying his hardest to be heard through the Florida "swamps" and mentioned as an influence in time to come. We have also learned there is a thin line between the heart of an emcee and a producer; I mean if you can feel music you just feel it, right, no matter what your title is. True not anyone can sing a hook, spit a verse or chop a track and it sound "magically delicious" but if you love hip hop culture and ill music (no pun) when you least expect it, your passion will most definitely guide you toward your dream. Ah yes, Florida is producing more than champion baseball players, champion producers are on the up and up as well. But you don't have to take my glossed lips for it, check out "Soul Theory's Headquarters" and catch that Florida hip hop "fever" ("Play Ball!").