Soundcards

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
1010LT = SNR 101.5dB @ $200
1814 = SNR 107dB @ $600
FF400 = SNR 110dB @ $900
1616M = SNR 120dB @ $500

I know rme, its always a clean sound which tends to sound ugly but really does it well lol, it does imply you use a console to add some dirt to the digital harshnes. rme mostly have a clean high even when boosting but also tends to dominate your ears but again, this depends on the kinds of outboard gear you use. Im saying this because rme is pretty much the only brand i can think of which is worth looking at dispite the lower snr in a semi pro studio.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
and a good soundcard doesnt mean your beats are better, common these kind of arguments belong in the noob section. Certain cards/macines have crap specs or incomplete specs meaning its a bunch of talks, sometimes you shouldnt be surprised when looking at the pricetag and others are bought by people who dont read specs, i can just aswell say that anyone who wants to get into PT is opting for a card for which they dont care wether the quality is good or not, hence the snr range in the Maudio series and they sell a lot because of this. In any case, i and some others would like to see hot feeds, the more headroom the better, its in the numbers, its been benchmarked and measured...

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
headroom and SNR does not make a card sound better. the AD/DA converters are better in the RME that any of the other cards discussed. From there its Apogee/Prism.

"and a good soundcard doesnt mean your beats are better"

I agree.

You need to work on your punctuation as I am not always sure what you mean.

I mostly care about how good a card sounds, I could care less about the specs. Secondly I care about how well the card functions from a driver perspective.

Maybe people want to get in to pro tools because if you dont know it you hinder your chances of getting hired to do contract work. I am not saying PT is better than say sonar/logic it is just a software you MUST know. I have an maudio firewire 18/14 and I actually use the adat light pipes to hook up different converters. (The Apogee stuff sounds great) I also have used all the cards mentioned in this discussion, have you?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
no not all of em and for a good reason too, RME9652 with a bunch converters rented all sorts (audient, aurora mostly), motu 1224/2408, emu 1212m, audiowork...passport systems...

ey im dutch, save the lecturing my english is as good as it gets.

so what do you mean from a driver perspective ? and do you mix to an analogue or do you work all digital when it comes to summing ?

On an note though, there arent any real cheap converters that boost the 120dB range and the bitrate mentioned by oems in specs are also subjected for debate. It all becomes a theoretical matter of putting it down on paper for sale but still, is mostly a pretty good indication of wether or not good converters been used.

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
"im dutch"

ok its all good :) I just want to make sure I don't misunderstand you.

I usually mix %100 in the box. I worked in studios for years where we did all our summing in the analog world. When I say from a driver perspective, I usually use my DAW for long engineering sessions, where I need ultra low latency monitoring (3-8ms) and 40+ hour weekends and stability for 16 channels of I/O.

I have am just at a point where I dont believe specs. For example look at allot of the behringer stuff, there specs (for the most part) are amazing, but I would rather use UA/AVALON/APOGEE stuff. you know what I mean?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
yeah, i sure do but initialy the topic wont fit the high end range...the thing about specs, all the good oem place complete specs , wether were talking soundcards, samplers or daw solutions all the rest wont tell cuz theres nothing fancy about putting shit converters on a speclist. You wont see such crap indeed with apogee and the likes but then at least you know what you're buying into... i think you're a bit stressed upon not trusting the specs, you have years of experience and you name behringer for example...i mean, common everybody knows that...they make cheap midi controllers and their powerplay is a cheap usefull solution but thats as far as it goes, who cares about reading their specs takes himself to seriously and needs an update. To me its like this, convenience vs quality and im not taking you for a noob but all in the box solution is cheaper and not better, not that the emulation or sets of algorhytmn could never replicate an exact original piece of gear but simply because adding/subtracting voltages isnt the same as 1's and 0's. The all in the box solutions is also more convenient nomatter how you look at it but its not better... good things take effort and effort equals time, equals money and money makes decisions on workflow and gear. From that perspective i understand you but its not better...

Im no engineer btw, never took classes, i dont even want to be an engineer but why only 16 chnls ?

thedreampolice

ill o.g.
"adding/subtracting voltages isnt the same as 1's and 0's"

I agree, I would say however that there are things I can do in the box that I can never do on tape. I do really like software compressors. I also love working on tape as well, they both have there +/-'s. But I am now VERY comfortable mixing %100 in the box (this was not true 5 years ago)

why only 16 channels. That seems to be all I need, now I am not talking about 16 tracks. The last 2 three pieces bands I have recorded went well over 50+ tracks. But even with a 4 or 5 piece band I never need more that 16 inputs at a time. For example I mic up the drums (on a rock set I dont close mic to much so about 5-6 mics) 1 input for the scratch bass 1 for scratch guitar 1 for scratch keys 1 for scratch vocals. so thats only about 10 inputs that I really need, then the rest of the session (recording the real bass/guitar parts) I only need 2-3 inputs.

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
lol I just wanted to give you updates about my saffire.... the damn thing didnt want to work on my pc. I went to the store so that I can have my money back, the guy refused. He said, bring my pc to the store he will install it himself. I got mad, went back to the store today and the dude tried to install it on my PC, it didnt work. He tried his computer, it didnt work. He tried the computer in the Monitors room, didnt work. He tried it on his big MAC, didnt worked. He used the saffire he had in the store and it didnt work much. the dude DIDNT want to give my money back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (long story)
Finally, someone who was with me made a huge scene (LOL) It was sooo embarrassing.
The saleman finally agreed to give my money back.
Now, I have no soundcard, I have a bad reputation (LOL), I have a wack sound on my PC, I got money (dammn good) im back in case one. lol

PG

djloccdown

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
lol I just wanted to give you updates about my saffire.... the damn thing didnt want to work on my pc. I went to the store so that I can have my money back, the guy refused. He said, bring my pc to the store he will install it himself. I got mad, went back to the store today and the dude tried to install it on my PC, it didnt work. He tried his computer, it didnt work. He tried the computer in the Monitors room, didnt work. He tried it on his big MAC, didnt worked. He used the saffire he had in the store and it didnt work much. the dude DIDNT want to give my money back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (long story)
Finally, someone who was with me made a huge scene (LOL) It was sooo embarrassing.
Now, I have no soundcard, I have a bad reputation (LOL), I have a wack sound on my PC, I got money (dammn good) im back in case one. lol

PG

99% of sales people are fagots.
It pisses me off.
When I was gettin' my Korg TR, my dad made a big ass scene in the shop, I just wanted to walk out, lol.
But he got the guy to cut the price by $300 so its all good.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
lol, the thing i always ask for are free cables for each I/O(obviously dutch i gues) and i always get em lol. Luckily we have rules and consumer rights here that would prevent your situation of not getting the money back.

So...how much dough you to spend...and what kind of pc do you have right now ?

Symphonic

Custom User Title
ill o.g.
lol, the thing i always ask for are free cables for each I/O(obviously dutch i gues) and i always get em lol. Luckily we have rules and consumer rights here that would prevent your situation of not getting the money back.

So...how much dough you to spend...and what kind of pc do you have right now ?

ja en terecht, those prizes in NL are ridiculous.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.

PG

What store was this? (So I know not to go there).

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I think the main thing to look for in a soundcard is low latency.
The A/D convesion is not as big a deal these days if you're using virutal synths.
I'm curious which soundcard in the 100 to 300 range gives you the lowest latency...

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
Solotech esti ! lol Their store is awesome and they really have the lowest prices, but wow, the service?? ppppsssst...!!!
I've learned a lesson... before you buy anything, be sure you can return the material or have a refund ... its nasty out there...

How can a soundcard be Defect ?!?! blah..

I might go at Steve's music to buy another soundcard... I really want something with no latency...or low latency as possible. My partner has a RME Fireface and its wayyyyyy too much for my budget.

I guess I'll end up with m-audio 410 or Emu1616m....unless you have great suggestions. I'll need them lol

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Solotech esti ! lol Their store is awesome and they really have the lowest prices, but wow, the service?? ppppsssst...!!!
I've learned a lesson... before you buy anything, be sure you can return the material or have a refund ... its nasty out there...

How can a soundcard be Defect ?!?! blah..

I might go at Steve's music to buy another soundcard... I really want something with no latency...or low latency as possible. My partner has a RME Fireface and its wayyyyyy too much for my budget.

I guess I'll end up with m-audio 410 or Emu1616m....unless you have great suggestions. I'll need them lol
You could try Steve's but you should also check Moog they have a nice selection and good service.

members online