sounding good on all platforms

dustface.wav

Beatmaker
hi hope im posting in the right spot... this is pertaining to kicks.... if some one who has knowledge about mixing and mastering could explain how I get kicks to hit hard across all platforms of listening.... I listened back to some of my stuff on my phone/really shitty headphones and the kick is not nearly as pronounced(almost unperceivable actually) they hit so hard on my monitors why is it that it doesnt translate to other platforms????.thanks for any reply's

Last edited by a moderator:

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Mixing is an art in itself, it will take a while to learn how to do a decent mix. Read the book Zen and the Art of Mixing and then check out Joes "Home Studio Corner"

after years I feel I can do a decent mix, but I will pay lots of money to a good Mastering Engineer to finalize the whole thing. Its a pretty deep topic.

DP nailed it. If you thought music production was deep, thats just the tip of the iceberg.

In the showcase before the current one I described in a fair amount of detail how to get the kick to bang more, you might want to check that out for a starter guideline

to save you searching for it, Ill just paste it here.
the drums are very far back in the mix. You can get more bang from your kick by slapping an eq on it and taking away the inaudible low end below 30 hz, literally cut everything below 30 hz, as you have the sub bass too id cut everything below 50hz for the kick, give it a boost around 80-90hz and a boost around 800hz too to add presence, to counter you will probably have to remove muddyness around 250-350hz. The result will be a banging punchy kick, to get it to punch through that sub though might require sidechained compression that compresses the sub bass every time the kick triggers the compressor to allow it through in the mix. You can get loud drums without necessarily layering them, frequencies from layered drums can phase frequencies doing the exact opposite of what you hope to achieve. Layering is better for adding a range of frequencies so that a snare for example covers more of the frequency spectrum, like adding some mid bass to a snare, or adding some presence in the higher end for a kick. Layer with purpose. If after compression and equing on the drums and they still sound "thin" then layer to fill them out. Just some ideas, there are no strict rules, just guidelines and many different ways to achieve the same result. Whatever works best for you is the way to go because you dont want to stifle your workflow with too many technicalities

Id start with finding the right sounds first, then equing them to remove unwanted frequencies(especially lows below 30hz) then Id make the drums the most dominant in the mix but not just by making them louder but by making everything else quieter, this way you maintain some headroom in which to achieve a dynamic mix. If you raise the volume on the drums too much then you will eventually peak on the master bus as everything competes to be heard.Try to avoid clipping at every single point, no one track should clip and no combination of tracks should clip and this is before you ever go into a limiter. Never rely on the limiter to "fix" a peaked and distorted mix. My master chain is usually eq>stereo field>compressor>limiter. But I will not even start going into mastering as Im no expert on the subject and mixing is a big enough topic on its own.

Things to search on the university of youtube....

Eq'ing,
Reverb and Delay,
Compression and Limiting,
Side-chained compression,
Parallel compression(new york compression)
Mix headroom.

Thats a good starting point.
These are the things that will help your drums bang and cut through the bassline.
Its a long journey learning to mix, its challenging but its an epic learning experience and Im glad I did it, without it I wouldnt be the mixing engineer/producer at my mates studio.

Last edited:
I have just remembered a Chris Lord Alge video I watched where he was boosting the kick at around 800hz to help it cut through on full range speakers that cant reach the low basses. I do it most of the time now.
EDIT: Heres the video...
I have also posted this...

This will really really REALLY help.

members online