Sounds & synths that are good 4 commercial, club hip hop music

inspired

ill o.g.
Hi!

I'm starting out producing hip pop (commercial 'hip hop') music. I'd like to know what synths / sounds are good to use to start with? I listen to songs by peeps like Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane, Lex Luger, DJ Khalid etc and in those songs I hear sounds used and I really want to recreate that sound in my own way however, I want to know what sounds are good to use for this type of hip hop.

The sounds I've currently got are more for dance/electronica/pop music. I use synths like Nexus, Vanguard, Massive etc however, they don't seem to create the kind of hip hop sound I'm looking for.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

:D

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Learn to program synths. If you cant get what you want out of Nexus or Massive you need to learn how to use them. Here is a good book that will help.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Synthesizer-Wizard-Presets-Power/dp/1598635506/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1304819644&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Becoming a Synthesizer Wizard: From Presets to Power User (9781598635508): Simon Cann: Books[/ame]

inspired

ill o.g.
Thank you! So are you saying I can get that hip hop sound I want out of the current synths I use if I know how to really use them?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Yes, most of those producers rarely have left the presets alone actually. Just learn

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Word.... I co-sign everything said previously.

Nocturnl

Man Utd Nut
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
And you said I was insulting, lmao, just kidding, I hate all that shitty music too, but hey whatever floats his boat.

I just cant stand that music and that they have the cheek to call it hiphop...they brainwashing the people especially the kids man...what happened to the days of tupac...up and away like a fart in the wind

I just cant stand that music and that they have the cheek to call it hiphop...they brainwashing the people especially the kids man...what happened to the days of tupac...up and away like a fart in the wind

Honestly I wasnt a big fan of tupac either, but hey, lol.
I think I get your point tho, the whole style of hip hop has changed its become sort of techno, but in a way thats where it came from too, I remember some old Jungle Brothers stuff that is very house inspired. After hearing that new dre beat tho I still have faith in a more conventional hip hop style. If and when Detox ever does drop maybe it will inspire a new generation of kids to accept it, and take it forward, like a fart in the wind, lmao.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Well...if you're going to make any money in hip-hop production, you have to make those kinds of beats as well...you need to appeal to as many potential clients as possible...

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
wow. I know I can throw a thread off but jeez lol

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but the sounds used for Commercial music is are the same sounds that are used for underground muisc.. rnb.. country...orchestral etc

the only difference is how each genre is using the sound

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Eh its about 50/50 thing because there are tons of presets out there at producers use as is

The funny thing is, most producers just want to use/do what the others use/do. So anything you need done is in a few presets. Theres MILLIONS of sounds still UNUSED by mainstream production lol.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
The funny thing is, most producers just want to use/do what the others use/do. So anything you need done is in a few presets. Theres MILLIONS of sounds still UNUSED by mainstream production lol.

Yea that's true... its an easy paycheck. A lot of times you can't avoid it. I'm a sound designer/producer and I love crafting my own sounds but when it comes to getting that paycheck the client will always tell you they want something like "so and so" so you do it.

I was lucky enough to get some tracks on Espn for the halftime shows and commercials they were quite clear on what they wanted and it was nothing original but an easy pay check