Sounds & synths that are good 4 commercial, club hip hop music

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Yea that's true... its an easy paycheck. A lot of times you can't avoid it. I'm a sound designer/producer and I love crafting my own sounds but when it comes to getting that paycheck the client will always tell you they want something like "so and so" so you do it.

I was lucky enough to get some tracks on Espn for the halftime shows and commercials they were quite clear on what they wanted and it was nothing original but an easy pay check

true, but that paycheck gets you closer to doing whatever you want on your own time, so I can respect it.

inspired

ill o.g.
LOOOL I love the replies from y'all!

Erm...I think the beats used by Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, Waka Flocka etc....are pretty good in terms of club music. You cannot really compare it to old skool hip hop beats, because this new breed of 'hip hop' is more hip POP. It's just called 'hip hop' by mainstream media when really, hip hop is something totally different.

Thanks for the advice! :)

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44

Erm...I think the beats used by Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, Waka Flocka etc....are pretty good in terms of club music. You cannot really compare it to old skool hip hop beats, because this new breed of 'hip hop' is more hip POP. It's just called 'hip hop' by mainstream media when really, hip hop is something totally different.

Agreed, they are different. And anytime!

Nicely stated. I think a better term for it would be "urban", but yeah you are right it is pop music under the wrong name of hip hop, I think thats what gets a lot of hip hop purists like myself worked up. Its all become club/dance music now, when there used to be so much more to hip hop, you would have club hip hop(Puffy, Biggie, Mace etc etc) you would have street hip hop(Dre,Fat Joe,Early Snoop, DITC, Redman, Wu Tang ,Bootcamp etc etc) you would have intelligent hip hop(Tribe Called Quest, Organized Konfusion, Mos Def, Common, De La Soul etc etc), and not to mention horrorcore hip hop(Gravediggaz, Bushwick Bill etc etc), and then there was the pop hip hop(Mc Hammer, Kris Kross, Vanilla Ice etc etc), hip hop used to have so many faces and sides to it. Now its just all become the same, except the underground where diversity still exists but doesnt get the spotlight.
Good luck on your quest, do what you want to do but try to be innovative, try new things and who knows, you might start the next big thing instead of just jumping on the current bandwagon.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Good luck on your quest, do what you want to do but try to be innovative, try new things and who knows, you might start the next big thing instead of just jumping on the current bandwagon.

Or make a name for yourself first doing popular shit...

I always feel that if you're going to change the game, you have to do it from within...

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 545
It's just that mainstream music now, when it comes to dance music styles... they're all turning to this heavily synthesized robotic futuristic sounding crap... almost every song out there sounds this way. The ones in the charts at least.

It's just what the music industry is on for the minute, it sounds like a whole new genre in itself... I'm sure soon enough it'll have to change and swing in a different direction however, as this one's been going on for a while now...

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Yep....

But Massive is awesome as well as Reaktor combined with that new Razor expansion...it's freaking epic...

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
RAZOR BABY!!!! talk about making powerfull patches easily...the whole game is going dummy proof...look at that one knob waves bundle...

Its nice to be all about advancing hip hop culture ( by making music that sounds like it was released almost two decades ago, I dont get but hey...) and its especially easy to be hold true to that perspective if you are living in a area where there is a small market of rappers making REAL moves. But in Miami where I'm at, the radio plays local records, and local artists want music that fits that format...I have one degree of separation between myself and industry talent, and their are plenty of publishers in the city to work with. I would be a fool to say yeah making trap beats is TOO easy for me, im gonna challenge myself by comming up with the next big sound for grimey lyrical "Real Hip Hop"...So when my market dictates that there is a demand for one finger melodies, 64th triplet laden hi hat rolls and 3 chord jams, then that is what I will work on because the point of treating my room, buying bad ass monitors, and BUYING the software to make quality tunes, and NOT spending that bread to improve my home...which I own...is to turn it into more money.

Thats the REAL world gentlemen...its easy to sit back in a area that has no market and act like you do it for the love...if you had different connects and a demand for "wack garbage radio crap" you're telling me you'd play the culture card and NOT WORK IN THE FEILD YOU LOVE? REALLY??????

Thats the REAL world gentlemen...its easy to sit back in a area that has no market and act like you do it for the love...if you had different connects and a demand for "wack garbage radio crap" you're telling me you'd play the culture card and NOT WORK IN THE FEILD YOU LOVE? REALLY??????

Why would I want to work in my favorite field, making music I dont like, how would that then be my favorite field when Im not enjoying what Im doing?
Im all about advancing the artform, not necessarily living in the past. Im all about lyrical content, music with a real message, and yes believe it or not I am actually about originality, not just jumping on the latest bandwagon to make a buck, that isnt creativity. The whole reason I make music is because Im a creative person that loves to express that creativity,MY CREATIVITY, not someone else's because thats whats fashionable right now and is making that money.
I dont want to make music because it might make me rich, I dont want to be rich, comfortable maybe but not rich, ultimately I just want a career making music that I ENJOY MAKING, I just want a career I enjoy, not a career I despise and hate going to everyday, I can get that working in a warehouse or at McDonalds.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I completely understand your perspective brother 2good, but how many people goto a university, graduate with debt and a degree for a feild they really wanted to work in only to find their dream job just isnt there? I mean at some point we as men have to get our hands dirty and provide for our wives and families...What does the guy with the degree do? He gets a job he doesnt love, he gets his checks, he provides and he sleeps fine at night...I'd rather make music thats not my cup of tea as opposed to being an electrician...call me crazy

I completely understand your perspective brother 2good, but how many people goto a university, graduate with debt and a degree for a feild they really wanted to work in only to find their dream job just isnt there? I mean at some point we as men have to get our hands dirty and provide for our wives and families...What does the guy with the degree do? He gets a job he doesnt love, he gets his checks, he provides and he sleeps fine at night...I'd rather make music thats not my cup of tea as opposed to being an electrician...call me crazy

I certainly wouldnt call you crazy, maybe misguided, but not crazy, I get called that all the time, its not nice. But...
Its not about just making music thats not your cup of tea though, its about influencing people with negativity. If you really want to get ahead in music, join the O.T.O(Ordo Templis Orientis) perform the music thats written for you, so your preconcieved image can implant that sinister message into the minds of the young, become rich, feed the family be very very successful, but at the same time becoming part of the media brainwashing that is destroying society, implanting evil(sex, violence, greed, vanity) into the minds of our youngsters, including your kids and becoming part of the problem that is destroying us mentally and leading us into slavery (mentally, financially and ultimately physically).

And to touch on something sucio said earlier, about becoming successful first and then trying to change from within. To become a success at that level, you have to accept a preconceived image that is made for you that has a sinister goal. Its that image that becomes the success, try and change that image or try to do something good or positive and you will find you are brought down with media lies. Just like Michael Jackson, Eminem, DMX etc etc.
The bottom line is that to be really successful in the "Industry", you have to become a tool for evil people that seek to control our hearts and minds, and manipulate us to their evil ends. You can say fuck everyone else and do well for yourself, or blindly be used as a tool and not even realise it, but one day you will realise it, and will you be able to live with yourself when that happens?
I have already made the realisation, I value my integrity, and strive to do the right thing, often to my own cost, I care about injustice, I care about the suffering of others and would like the world to be a better place for my offspring. If this means im never rich or famous then so be it, if I can die on my deathbed with the knowledge that I never fucked anyone over, trod on heads to get myself up the financial ladder then I can die a happy man. Money doesnt bring happiness, but trying to do the right thing can bring a sense of real achievement, its honourable, if it means I can look in the mirror and like what I see, then thats all the happiness I need.

Im not trying to be all self righteous, or holier than thou, I have my demons and have done my fair share of bad things, I have anger issues, but I do try to face them and be a better person, we are all human beings, we are all the same in that respect but I do TRY to do the right thing. Thats all I can do.
Thats ultimately why I only seek moderate success, enough to be able to pay the bills that have for so long kept me down. I dont want anymore than that, I dont want flash sports cars, a mansion or a yacht, simply for fear I might forget where I came from or what truly matters in life and at what cost to others did my wealth come.

And thats the reason I get called crazy, lol. And thats also the reason Im broke as fuck.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
As i stated earlier...you have to be like everyone else until you make a name for yourself....

Kanye is a prime example..he got in...and started switching it up when he was established.... If you really feel that you want to change the way music is put out.... You gotta do it from within....You have to have a following that will support you.

Everyone is making all kinds of experimental music in their basements....that won't change a thing.... Kanye did an album of all singing with autotune and 808s... Tpain brought it back....Kanye made it cool for EVERYONE. He brought a change to the game.... Gotta do it from within... I feel what both of you guys are saying and unfortunately being "yourself" and "staying true" will result in minimal "success" monetarily. But conforming to get in.....being successful and THEN revealing your self to the world because you're on that stage.... Now you can start a trend of change in the industry to where everyone is trying to be like you....

Come on...look @ Dre... The dude hasn't changed much in terms of his music...you don't see him making trap music..he's staying true...and the only reason why people still listen to him because he's developed that following of loyal listeners, both young and old. That's what you have to do at the end of the day...

And to finally stay on topic..... Consider Project Sam's Symphobia for Kontakt....that shit is bonkers.

Big Bad Wolf

ill o.g.
Well...if you're going to make any money in hip-hop production, you have to make those kinds of beats as well...you need to appeal to as many potential clients as possible...

This is true but u have to stay true to urself. Makin beats like this person or that person is cool but makin beats that are original will get u more clients in the long run cause u have ur own style.

Soundclick.com/thabigbadwolf

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Being succesfull implies you work in the industrie untill you retire. Not that any other employer will give you a guarantee on the duration of your contract, but as opposed to being an engineer or producer, you better make sure you can do this till you're old. Names, credits are everything, you go down, bizz is down. I dont even think getting the major label status should be your aim, but rather think entrepeneur like in the entertainment industry and see how to exploit your skills. The studio i work with also does mobile recording, foh support, consult, education, bookings, event management and mastering. The 2 engineers there are also doing bands aside from the their studiowork since they're both drummers.

So many other things you can do once you are "connected", we've talked into the weirdest concepts like setting up a vinyl plant or a rehearsel/demo complex with rental backline.

Just saying, you gotta step outside of your picture aswell and look how you can exploit something so you can do what you want to do most.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Being succesfull implies you work in the industrie untill you retire. Not that any other employer will give you a guarantee on the duration of your contract, but as opposed to being an engineer or producer, you better make sure you can do this till you're old. Names, credits are everything, you go down, bizz is down. I dont even think getting the major label status should be your aim, but rather think entrepeneur like in the entertainment industry and see how to exploit your skills. The studio i work with also does mobile recording, foh support, consult, education, bookings, event management and mastering. The 2 engineers there are also doing bands aside from the their studiowork since they're both drummers.

So many other things you can do once you are "connected", we've talked into the weirdest concepts like setting up a vinyl plant or a rehearsel/demo complex with rental backline.

Just saying, you gotta step outside of your picture aswell and look how you can exploit something so you can do what you want to do most.

one of the best posts I've read on here. This industry is a hustle, pure and simple. Can't stick to weed if you want the real money, gotta sell crack, heroin and pills too.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
one of the best posts I've read on here. This industry is a hustle, pure and simple. Can't stick to weed if you want the real money, gotta sell crack, heroin and pills too.

Word..Crack is the way to go.

I agree with everything Formant said... I know music isn't something that is a guaranteed job for 20 years... I love doing it...and if I get a deal tomorrow..I'll still love doing it....just be getting paid to do it....

Even if I don't do it seriously, it would be something that I would always do as long as I have the passion and desire to do it.

In terms of actually making money on it? I just want enough to stack for the future, some residuals as years progress and keep it movin..I would love to do other things, but a full time job (that pays the rent) and doing all the music I do leaves no time to really jump into other ventures. Once I'm able to do just music full time, I will definitely find other things to be dope at....especially since I'm such an intelligent individual and my skill-set is limitless, I should be dope at anything I wish to do.

Sometimes I love being me, because being me has given me so many options.

Back on topic...

NEXUS, OMNISPHERE, MASSIVE, REAKTOR/RAZOR, KONTAKT 4 (SYMPHOBIA, VIR Q, VOXOS, SYNERGY)

^THOSE MENTIONED ABOVE ARE BEAST VST. That's epic shit right there.

members online