SP-505, I want this machine, but I don't know anything about it.

Hyconcepts

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Who knows where I can listen to beats made on an SP-505. Madlib uses SP-303, but I rather have the SP-505. If this doesn;t work out for me, I'll sell it and buy an MPC or something. I just want to try this machine out first. If you guys can just give feedback or advice or drop some beats on this page made from the SP-505. I only heard one person beats who use the SP-505, and that was Jpeg. Thanks Hy

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
you want one because someone else it too ?

you might to think about what Madlib has else that makes his beats dope, it's not just the SP303 or the mpc...

your a noobie righty ?! what's you pc, what's your soundcard, what's your budget...

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
SP-505 is dope but, here are my reasons for quickly returning it off the break....hahaha, slow sample loading, understanding why the full decay on a sample is not enabled by default, noticing that if I sequence with samples it appeared to be kinda shaky quantiztion when you want to have a funky or realistic swing to my pattern....(I never tried to use it as a module though and just trigger from software you might get better results than just using it make patterns)....as with any piece if you can demo it....as I always do....get something you can get comfortable with in 30 days or return it.....some people fault me for buying a piece then returning it....I do that only to come across the killer piece instead of listening to someone else rant about the best piece to get...you might find that the SP-505 is faultless for your situation but if I find that there are things upfront that affect getting a simple sequence together it starts to sway my opinion of whether that piece is an asset or liability...usually 30 days is enuff to make your decision on keeping a piece...

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
something like an mpc is flexible, highly adaptive, but dont buy it for the sampler unless it's a 4k. I've runn mpc the emu esi samplers, Roland S750 and they're a lot better than the S2000 engine. It's a tight sequencer, with pads, just for drums, so if you want to make beats you're just halfway. If it's all hardware based sampling with mpc ( and masterboard ) then you might want to look into ESI4000 turbo ( 128mb ) cheapest, then Akai S5/6K ( or a Z8 ) followed by Emu E4xt Ultra.

but again, it all depends on the whole setup ( pc + audio interfacing )

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
if I had the money that you are going to spend on the 505....just save couple hundred more and get the mpc 1000 that's what i would recommend...its all around for the money probably the best new piece you could get and if you shop around you might find one from 650-750.....

Hyconcepts

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Thanks yo. You from Virginia to, thats dope. Well does an MPC 1000, do I have to buy extra equipment with it or can I just buy that and that my beat box where I can have everything done in it without any extras? Thanks Hy

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Stuff the memory to max, if you doing live stuff get a 1Gb compactflash card for storage and arrange a good audio interface ...the 1K has 6 out so look for something that has 8 in and out. In that way you can record individual signalpaths onto the pc by whatever software...and/or a mixer which is at least 8 chnls ( no no, not the behringer ) where you create a mixdown on the console and record a 2 track ( master ) on to the pc. I said and in case you have a mixer with direct tape outs per channelstrip. But in any case...get a good sound card with enough I/O...Emu 1820 with break out box are coming down in price but requires at least 1.6GHz/512Mb...then you're rocking.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
the 505 is good enuff for me dont rate the fx much but its workable.

the good thing about it is its ease of use, cos there aint much to the machine u can just focus on the sounds ur putting into it.

ive been rocking it since 2002, i like small budget concious machines i dont want a room full of equipment.

plus im getting about half an hour sample time which i dont need but it basically does everything a sample based producer needs.

downside? fx, build quality (looks like a toy)

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
lol Hy I dont think you can even really use a Controller keyboard with Acid ,Acid is basically just for laying down loops . Honestly if you Get a Midi Keyboard I would Recommend Getting Reason or Fruityloops download the demo's fool around with em a bit anyways and see if your satisfied with them I think you should like 1 of outta the 2 if not both anyways

Oh ya werent u the guy that says the 505 Ripps the MPC 4k haaha that was just wrong

Hyconcepts

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
WTF? Nope, that wasn;t me. Yes, Acid Pro does take midi-keyboards yo. I just found out on da manual. Well thanks. Hy

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
Yea it does but Acid wasint built for that Its mostly a looping tool or a good program 2 export ur shit 2 after and do a mixdown with Honestly I use to use Acid and found it limiting If u got a keyboard I seriously Recommend u try FruityLoops Or Reason too Start then maybe Once you Understanding how everything works at what does what maybe try Copping Cubase

Or on the other hand if your really into sampling maybe Acid could cut it for you The only Cat on here that I no of who uses Acid exclusively 2 make his beats is Prizm

Anyways good luck with what you decide to do

members online