Speeding up to 160-180 BPM

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
So I've been reading a little on this forum and elsewhere about how a lot of southern producers will put their BPM up to 160 to do their drums in order to get crazier with the hi-hats and all that. I'm still a little lost on this idea so I'm hoping someone can help me out cause I'm definitely looking to improve my drums, especially on my "southern" beats

So if I'm using FL, do i bring my bpm up to 160, make the drums, and then take it back down to 80? Or do I leave it at 160 and then make the whole beat? Maybe that is a really dumb question but just being a new producer I have a hard time figuring out how hip hop progressions could work at double speed without it sounding weird. Should I keep swing on at 50%, or turn it all the way up, or all the way off?

breal

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
This no different then using a 80 bmp pella with a beat at 160.
Only only thing you have to remember is that if you put the kicks at one
1 and 3 you will have to now make it 1 and 6.
If you put snare at 2 and 4 you will have to make it 4 and 8.
The double time (160) is really just for the rolls(Hats)

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
You dont have to do either really in fle chang the beat count crom 4 to 8 that will give u an extra hit in between each that will act as double time n u cna leave ur tempo at 80

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
what i do...

i speed up the tempo...

put the drums in first... and instead of recording them to the 2s and 4s... i make the drum track 8 beats long... and record to the 3s and 6s.... feel me?

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
once u set the track to eight beats use the colors jus as if it was on a 4-4 count feel me ull see once u put it at eight beats check this pic should help you a bit. by the way once u got a base play wit locations of hits

Attachments

• 4-4.jpg
    4-4.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 136
O

open mind

i leave tempo at 75-80 and the original 4-4 bars i do all the Xtra doubles triples etc.. in the piano roll.yes i do all my drums in the piano roll LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS of space for the fillers u know.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yo thanks a lot for uploading that pic man, i cant even tell you how much this is going to help my drums. good lookin out!!

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yep - its called double time, and you are 4 years late.

lol most of my fellow FL users ONLY make beats in double time.

Atomic XL, INFO, Chase Cash (ACP), Me, etc etc

breal

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I was wrong snares on 3 and 7.
But I guess everyone does it different

Attachments

• fl.jpg
    fl.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 108

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
I like Trinidads way better.. that double time shit is straight retarded on software.. Seems like a cheap way to emulate hardware..

After all, software was invented to make things easier and provide the maximum amount of possibilities. Trinidad hit it on the nail, why do what makes it easier on the MPC, when theres an easier way in FL?

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
^ Thats cuz you wack.

jk... thats my new thing now i guess.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
DaSon said:
Yep - its called double time, and you are 4 years late.

lol most of my fellow FL users ONLY make beats in double time.

Atomic XL, INFO, Chase Cash (ACP), Me, etc etc

hard to be 4 years late when I've only been doing this for 8 months man...

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I do this for all my upbeat tracks, my keyboard can't even register hi-hats as fast as I want it to so I will up the bpm and use a drum machine to make the hats, then insert or take a few to change it up and then do the rest of the percussion on the keys along with the rest of the track. Laid back beats I will keep the tempo normal, I really like those southern hats and snares though, sounds like guns and shit just RAT TAT TAT.