Stereo Delay?

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ok here is the deal, this is not really as much as an effect as much as a recording technique, because except maybe for high end workstations an plugins, you have to create it, well at leat i think you do??

The perfect example is TLC, "Diggin on You" off the crzy sexy cool album. On this song when during the verse when t-boz is singing, it sounds like it is panned on both sides, but it is only one track. i asked my boi about this he said its called STEREO DELAY. if you listen, esp. on good monitors or headphones, the vocals are very full. then when the chorus comes on, its the normal panned in the center..and you really get a feel for the stereo delay.

So my question is, how do you create this?? i know it has something to do with delay, panning the same track to the left and right and maybe moving one ahead of the other just a tad to get that full effect. i dont know though??? help!!! lol

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
use a vst plugin.
you can get loads for free on the internet and some good ones to.
if you just want to pan you make 2 tracks with the same vocals and just put one channel with the pan left and one right, very simple.
you can also put them out of phase, that is indeed put one track a little bit behind the other one, but be carefull with that or it sounds like shit.
I think you should get a good stereo delay vst plug in.
just search the internet.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Dear pboyproducer:

I think you got it right, the easiest way to do it is to put the .wav on two different channels, nudge one back or forward, then pan L and R. Nudging it gives it a slight "delay" sound. It can be done with a plug-in, but this method would apply to the simplicity rule.

A nice addition is to have to have the vocalist do different overdubs (to alleviate phasing) so you can repeat this method in order to attain a fuller sound. You can also add a harmonic pitch shift tapped on the vocals if you just use one track, split, nudge, and pan, then mix down the pitch shift low to make the vocal sound fuller.

Sincerely,
God

members online