stream Compton on itunes now

Craftmaster

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
This album is awesome. I love how Dre switched up his rapping style for this new generation, he sounds like he really wanted to come with it on this project. This isnt a movie soundtrack this is an album! He's smart becuase fans will go into it with tempered expectations but will walk away with a very pleasent surprise. I'm digging the blanace of Trap and real hip hop or whatever in these tracks. It reminds me of what Rick Ross has been trying to pull off with his past two albums. These kids that wrote with Dre did a fantasic job. There isnt one track that you can point to and say "thats the radio hit we will be hearing for the next decade" and I'm cool with that. My favorite track so far is Medicine Man, Dre out Future'd Future. lol.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Production is tight as usual. Definitely made his music more current.. As far as the songs go, I'm not big on many of them. His signature sound is lost in many of these tracks. I think these were done to get the new generation of fans to relate, and I understand that... I give it 3 1/2 out of 5... Anderson .Paak is dope, but is featured on too many tracks (6) and it got monotonous quick....and I think that part ruined it for me.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
His signature sound is lost in many of these tracks. I think these were done to get the new generation of fans to relate, and I understand that...
i agree with this. i think that the tracks with snoop on them should have been more "gangsta." in addition to .paak, i think that there was too much kendrick. i mean, i understand it, but come on. no kurupt, no daz, nobody else from tde?

overall, i'm digging it. he says that this is his grand finale. i just hope that somebody convinces his ass to keep it going. track 4 is the shit though. my favorite on the album.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
It's a solid project, but nothing compared to his two previous releases. It doesn't have that replay value that the other joints had. I've listened to it 3 times from front to back ...First while doing yard work, and the other two solid listens. After the 3rd time I was cool to not listen for a while. This is unheard of in the other two albums... I really appreciate him switching his style up, even though he doesn't write his rhymes..... But I've always thought that if you're such a large name, that you should push the envelope....set a new trend........Dre did this with his other two albums, but he didn't with this one...He played it safe and just made mainstream music.... Animals is my favorite beat in the album, for obvious reasons....

Sadly enough, I really don't have a favorite song that I can pinpoint and say "yeah..that's my shit"....

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
This is a really strong album,but unfortunately Dre has to compete with himself. To what Sucio was kind of saying, The Chronic changed the sound of west coast hiphip for half a decade when it dropped in the early 90s. The Chronic 2001 changed the sound of west coast hip hop AGAIN when it dropped in the late 90s. This album actually follows a couple of trends and though it is top notch production it wont be changing the sound of hiphop this time. For this to be a guys worst album though shows what a genius he is. 4/5 stars!!!!

T

TagYourBeats

This album is awesome. I love how Dre switched up his rapping style for this new generation, he sounds like he really wanted to come with it on this project. This isnt a movie soundtrack this is an album! He's smart becuase fans will go into it with tempered expectations but will walk away with a very pleasent surprise. I'm digging the blanace of Trap and real hip hop or whatever in these tracks. It reminds me of what Rick Ross has been trying to pull off with his past two albums. These kids that wrote with Dre did a fantasic job. There isnt one track that you can point to and say "thats the radio hit we will be hearing for the next decade" and I'm cool with that. My favorite track so far is Medicine Man, Dre out Future'd Future. lol.
Out of all comments this is the one that speaks to me the most.

For Dr. Dre it is different, which is probably what he wanted. His rapping style has changed, his beats sound dope and different to what we're used to...

The problem is, I think part of me was just hoping for an old school style Dr. Dre album. I don't care if ot's "current" or not, it would be iconic.

I do enjoy the album (though I find myself skipping more songs than I should), but it hasn't become one of my favorite albums of all time, which I had hoped.

The itch has been scratched, but at the same time...I am a little bit disappointed. Good rap/hip hop album, but not a great Dr. Dre album.