Interviews Stresswon

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Stresswon. What do I say about the guy? He's been with IllMuzik since 2003, has released numerous albums either solo or group. From MC'ing to Producing, Stresswon represents when it counts!

stresswon1.png

Yo what's happening?! For those in a coma for the past few years, tell them about yourself.

What up Fade. Workin' hard as always. I'm an emcee/producer out in the Poconos, PA. Been here for a few years now. Born and in NJ, so I stay reppin' Jers always. Been rhymin seriously since 93. Took a break in between from then to 2000. Kind of broke out of lyrical retirement. Then I started makin beats...

I know you make beats and MC, didn't you DJ too back in the day?

No doubt. The funny thing is I started spinnin' house music at first. I later got into really turntabilsm in 97 when I finally got my own set of tables. I always had to jump on someone's tables over the years, but once I got my setup I was rockin' house parties and shit. The craziest shit was my homie from back in the day that really got me on the tables was Junior Sanchez. He's a legend if you know anything about House Music.

Ok wait - so you know Junior Sanchez? And you spun House Music? LOL, do you also keep a pair of glow sticks in your back pocket?

Yeah me and Junior are from the same hood. And no, no glow sticks... ass.

When did you first molest hip hop (in reference to you calling her a whore)?

Hah. It was the late 80's. Since I was a kid I was always intrigued by the music and culture of Hip Hop. One day I was listenin to an LL Cool J record and started freestylin to the beats and the rest is what you see.

So why the name Stresswon? Are you stressed out all the time?

When I was comin up, if you said you was Hip Hop you actually had to be involved in either of the elements. It's not like today where you ask somebody if they Hip Hop and most immediately think of music. It's more then that. I was a graff head back in the day when I was teenager so my tag was Stress One.

You've done lots of live performances, how does it compare to spittin in the studio?

Actually I will be doing a lot more this upcoming year. It's an incredible feelin that no word can explain. Real Talk. On the flip, there's nothin like killin a verse in the lab on the first take. You really need to be on point at a show. You can always retake a verse in the lab.

Do you prefer your voice over your own beats or someone else's?

I rather hear other artists then myself. It depends. Once the main part of the beat is mapped out, I know where it may go.

What gives you the most freedom - MC'ing or Producing?

I can't call it Fade. There's so many pros and cons. As an emcee I can put my expression to words, but at the same time I can do that with sound.

How did you find IllMuzik? And how has it played a role in your music?

I found IllMuzik from a Yahoo search for Hip Hop production. That simple. It has been so instrumental (no pun) in my career and life. I continue to keep learning from the site and members as well as made some extremely good friends.

Did you know guys like Cleverwon, Fury, Buku, etc before IllMuzik?

Me and Cleverwon aka PA knew the same people. He actually was at a party I deejayed at once, but we never met. I linked up wit P thru IllMuzik and now we are the best of friends. And thru P, I met Fury, Buku, and eventually we all linked wit Ash Holmz and Classic. I am forever grateful for the connects I made thru the Ill. I've met Dahkter who is a really cool dude. And I stay linked wit Excellence, Steezo, Spanish Harlem, Relic, etc.

stresswon2.jpg

What's up with Last Son Productions?

Last Son Productions is my production company I hope to soon get jump started with releasing my new projects as well as sponsoring some charity events. Eventually I would like to start getting an artist roster in the future.

You're a big fan of Superman, do you somehow look to that for motivation?

I'm a fan of comic books really. I'm a nerd for real. Superman's story really paralleled mine as an emcee. It was like, Superman could have said, "Fuck it" and lived like a king, na mean? But he was on some real shit. On the truth. As in myself, I could go and make some bullshit rap music and do what the rest would do where instead I stay true to myself and my craft. I think if you have a talent that can make people think and even possibly show there is a positive side to things in order to help ya fellow man that is truly keepin it real.

Let's talk about the good ol' days - who was your favorite MC?

I've been so influenced by many artists over the years. I know good ol' days has to be referin to the 90's. Early 90's was Q-Tip. Mid was KRS and late was Pun.

How did you feel when albums like Illmatic and Liquid Swords came out?

There will never be a time like that again. Muthafuckers were hungry then and you couldn't come up wit the bullshit most so called emcees bring to the current dinner table. Especially Illmatic, it was for then way ahead of it's time. There were so many classics in that decade. It's a shame we can't say that for the past 9.

You've released a few albums already, most notably "Mic Wars", what do you have coming up next?

Wow. I've been pretty busy lately. I have a mix tape about to drop soon. It will be a free download. Free copies at my shows. I then will be releasing an album in the spring. I am really excited about that. And "Head Bop Music" which was produced by Spanish Harlem will be out very soon. And we are putting the final polishes on the Raw Nature album so look out for that too.

Oh ya, I've been meaning to ask - is Raw Nature a new version of Order66? What happened?

Raw Nature is a collaborative effort of 3 groups. Order 66, Bad Habitz, and Stoneface Expression. Although, Order 66 is going through some changes. It's like this, Raw Nature is the rap group, 66 is now the movement.

If you have one piece of advice to give others getting into the game, what would it be?

If you have a dream, make it YOURS. Don't let anyone tell you what you can do wit it. Stay true to yaself and the rest follows.

Any shoutouts you'd like to give?

Shouts to wifey and the kids! Of course to you Fade. IllMuzik has been instrumental in the movement I am tryin to bring. PA (Cleverwon) my brotha from anotha! Lil bro Fury, my muthafuckin man Benny Buku. Smash Bros. Always wit the support. Spanish Fuckin Harlem. they don't know Jay! Relic, Excellence, 2Good, the rest of you the ill animals. EM Theories, MD-E, DMP, the Pope, White Jesus, and William H Macy.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
dope interview kid..

members online