Studio Monitors

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
Hi guys im in the market for some decent but good quality studio monitors. Ive been looking at some of them and shortlisted to what I think would be a good buy.

Presonus Eris
Yamaha hs

Since they are the most vital gear we use I was thinking of buying brand new ones. up till now Ive been using my ATHm-50x to mix and Altec Lansing desktop speakers to listen to the final mix. Im getting to conscious about my beats when i compare it to other tracks I hear, if you guys could give me your opinion about this, id definitely appreciate it.

https://soundcloud.com/bugsheezy

TriKRaps

Whats life without hip-hop?
Battle Points: 4
Hi guys im in the market for some decent but good quality studio monitors. Ive been looking at some of them and shortlisted to what I think would be a good buy.

Presonus Eris
Yamaha hs

Since they are the most vital gear we use I was thinking of buying brand new ones. up till now Ive been using my ATHm-50x to mix and Altec Lansing desktop speakers to listen to the final mix. Im getting to conscious about my beats when i compare it to other tracks I hear, if you guys could give me your opinion about this, id definitely appreciate it.

https://soundcloud.com/bugsheezy

dont just go buy new studio monitors if you already have a set. Use some sound treatment, believe me... it will make an HUGE difference....also if you have enough money go get a mixing bundle

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah he could sound treat what he has, but I think it's best to get a set of actual studio monitors. I used to use regular speakers too but once I got monitors it made a world of difference and that's without sound treatment. Either way, if you want a great sound then why not go with monitors as opposed to regular speakers? You want your sound to be as close to a real studio as possible. Plus you have to figure the cost of treatment vs. monitors.

I would say go with monitors.

With that being said, I don't have experience with the Eris but I do with Yamaha and they're great. Plus I've known lots of guys that use them.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
No the Yamaha's suck balls.

The bad news is that any set of speakers under $500 is all about the same. So if you can't come up with more money then just pick one, it really doesn't matter all that much. Then a proper treated room does make a HUGE different, but get some decent speakers first and learn them. Personally I would save up a bit more.

Bugsy

ILLIEN

The bad news is that any set of speakers under $500 is all about the same. So if you can't come up with more money then just pick one, it really doesn't matter all that much. Then a proper treated room does make a HUGE different, but get some decent speakers first and learn them. Personally I would save up a bit more.

Which monitors would you suggest as a first pair?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
C'mon no they don't, they're good. He's not working in a pro studio here. The whole point to this is that a decent pair of speakers would be much better than regular PC speakers. I've had the Mackie MR5's for years and I love them, makes all the difference.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
hahahah come on now. They have a TERRIBLE frequency response look at the specs http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/speakers/hs_series/hs8/

and I have heard them as well. :p

I am curious to your opinion Dream Police. I use the Yamaha hs8 monitors. Could you be very specific into exactly what your concerns are with the speakers? I use them in an untreated room. I know I am not even close to a good listening environment, but it is what I have at the moment. I am curious to specifics so I can be more attentive to my own mixes/beats. Also, I would love your opinion on some of my beats. Are there issues that you hear that I have not? I would love any feedback if you have the time.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
You need to understand the history of the yamahas. Their roots are in hi fi not in pro audio. See

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/articles/yamahans10.htm

So I am not a fan of them for general mixing. I currently have event 20/20's that I like but I am upgrading to focals soon. The three studios I do most of my work at have genelecs, focals and jbl's

Not sure what upset everyone?? I thought it was a friendly discussion.

Quite a few here:
soundcloud.com/user8988974/tracks

I am not upset at all, just interested in your opinion, I will give the SOS article a read. Thanks!

Sorry I had to remove the https:// before the soundcloud link as it kept trying to link it to the soundcloud player and creating an error. Is there a better way to just post a link to a profile? Not just a soundcloud song link?

You need to understand the history of the yamahas. Their roots are in hi fi not in pro audio. See

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/articles/yamahans10.htm

So I am not a fan of them for general mixing. I currently have event 20/20's that I like but I am upgrading to focals soon. The three studios I do most of my work at have genelecs, focals and jbl's

Not sure what upset everyone?? I thought it was a friendly discussion.

I have the Yamaha hs8 active monitors. Not the ns10s.

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Finally bought me some studio monitors, went with the mackie mr5 mk3, found one for $230 aud, which is really cheap.

figured this might be a good stepping stone before i go for something really expensive. Im liking it already, the music from the monitor spreads, very different from using desktop speakers. I read from reviews that they exaggerate the low mids a bit, but im just happy with the results im getting just hearing my beats from it. next stuff on my list is a desk, monitor stands, and finally acoustic treatment. Hopefully all of this would make my beats sound better.

members online