Interviews Studio Talk: 8 Questions For BrianBeatz

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
brianbeatz.jpg

You can make beats all day long and come up with the best you've ever done, but don't work yourself to death. It's important to take breaks and do things that are completely unrelated to music. This is some of the thinking from BrianBeatz, who took a few minutes to answer some questions.

Name: BrianBeatz Location: Newport News, VA

What is your studio setup like?

MacBook Pro 15", Maschine, Logic Pro X, Pro Tools 11, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, Beats Pro Headphones, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 keyboard, Komplete Audio 6 interface, Traktor S2 DJ Controller, CAD GXL 3000 BP Microphone.

What is the one software or hardware that you can't live without?

Maschine, hands down.

What is a typical day for you?

For making beats, I wake up I don't really eat breakfast I check what's going on in the social world for 10 mins then promote my music for another 5 mins at most and then I turn off all connection to the outside world. I then open my music DAWs and get to work either it being making a new beat, chopping samples for a later beat or mixing down a beat, vocals or a whole track (I'm also a recording engineer). Pretty much all this goes on throughout the day, by late evening I take a break, turn back on social media sites network and promote my music & myself till late night. If I don't have any recording sessions then I go to bed and do it all over again the next day. Rinse wash repeat lol.

brianbeatz2.jpg

What is the best advice that you've ever received?

Don't over exert yourself! Take a step back and do something non-music related sometimes like go outside, go for a swim, or play NCAA. Your music will be all the better for it when you come back to it.

Do you have any tips for other producers?

Be about your music, stay true to your sound, don't try to sound like anybody but yourself.

How long does it take to make a full beat?

The longest it has taken me to make a full beat... maybe 2 days. I have a rep for being the fastest beatmaker in the east lol.

Do you have any studio tricks that help you work better and faster?

A true master never reveals his secrets lol, but really I don't have any crazy tricks. I have about 10 custom kits that I go to for drums and on days when I am experimenting, not really making beatz, I save sounds in my experimental folder which when I feel adventurous, I go to it. So I am not just going through my sound library like a blind man in a maze when I making Beatz.

What's in your near future?

I'm in the works of producing an R&B mixtape/album for one of my artists Johvanni Cruz, set to be out later this year. I am blueprinting the idea of the sophomore collaboration mixtape between me and local VA artist AC3, as well as working on my new solo beat tape project and collaboration beat tape with my follow producers that I associate with. On top of that, I am heading up a compilation album with a lot of local VA artist and Producers.

More Information

To find out more information about BrianBeatz, visit: