Interviews Studio Talk: 8 Questions For Wrightboy Music

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
wrightboy.jpg

Working all day can block you from being able to make music and be creative. However, it's the drive and dedication that keeps some producers going no matter what. I took a few minutes to find out more about Wrightboy Music.

Name: Wrightboy Music Location: Charlotte, NC

What is your studio setup like?

My setup changes depending on my mood. The base consists of a Mac Mini, Propellerhead Reason, Logic Pro 9, and Maschine. It's funny how I can get inspired by doing something as simple as working in a different DAW on a specific day.

What is the one software or hardware that you can't live without?

The one thing that I can't live without is the computer. It's my foundation for everything I do.

What is a typical day for you?

A typical day for me is wake up about 8-8:30, go to work for 8-9 hours, come home and unwind for a while. After I that, I get online and see what I've missed throughout the day (catch up on blogs, illmuzik.com). From there, I sit down and try to come up with at least one thing musically, whether it be finding a sample, creating a new sound, or just a simple drum loop.

What is the best advice that you've ever received?

The best advice I've ever received... I would say that it would have to be practice as much as possible. A lot of times we get caught up in the finished product, but the finished product will only be as good as the time put into it. Since I wasn't blessed with the natural ability to pick up any instrument and be proficient in it instantly, I have to constantly practice to hone my skills.

Do you have any tips for other producers?

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

How long does it take to make a full beat?

wrightboy2.jpg

It all depends on the direction you're trying to go. I've made beats that have taken 15 minutes, and I've made some that have taken months. On average, not being able to focus 100% of my day on music, it takes me about a week. That includes everything from finding the sounds to doing the "final" mix (no vocals).

Do you have any studio tricks that help you work better and faster?

Nope. LOL! I'm a procrastinator by nature and I don't like to be rushed, so I tend to relish in the fact that I can take as long as I want.

What's in your near future?

I'm working on an instrumental album, beat tape, or whatever you want to call it. I want every track to have an ominous theme. I'm also working on my website.

More Information

To find out more information about Wrightboy Music, visit:

Last edited: