Studio Upgrade?

ATR360

ReZoUnD
Battle Points: 42
Ive been using my laptop and headphones lately with a PropellerHead Balance interface wish is not fully functional and discontinued, not complaining I got it for $40 at a pawn shop and my laptop is a mac 2012 refurbished dualcore I got on Ebay and upgraded it my self.

Brief history, I worked at a major studio in Houston for 1 1/2yr as a tracking and mixing engineer @Canvas Studios with Earnest Walker and Chris Walker under Haniel Trisnia (house engineer) I was the subengineer when ever he was overseas I ran the studio. They had it all and I was in heaven It was a huge warehouse the size of a small Homedepot with multiple studios inside. I can't unhear what I got used to and know where my work falls short.
So its time to upgrade, I have upgraded my production with synths like Behringer's Deepmind12, Model D, Neutron, Moog Minotaur, and my favorite MoroderNova collectors edition wish improved the quality of producing and preparing to buy just 3 more synths the Studiologic black keys, Behringers Crave and Odyssey when it comes out, well I promised my wife thats it on that hehe.

I am buying a clock, I was thinking to get Antelopes Atomic clock and take out some college funds from the kids but I read up on Black Lion's XB mkii and it has 0.6 picco seconds of jitter and uses a short burst technology unlike the Atomic wish can stay stable during recording for like a year (who records that long) but the short burst recording got my attention, thats what I do mix and master (at least attempt to) for at least 2 to 6hrs and the price is a fraction of the Atomic. I should add I'm buying better headphones too, upgrading my Beyerdynamic 770pro to the 1770pro.
To go with this and sorry for the long read is either The Best converter on the planet Merging Technologies "The Happi" Horus son the cheaper version and start with a 8ch card 8in and 8out...or a LynxHilo in combination with a Burl audio B2 bomber ADC...or Apollo x6 with a new mac tower for some much needed wiggle room from my mac dualcore.

Using someone else perspective on this could possibly assure me or open up new ideas before I take the plunge.
If I got the Happi that'll future proof me like adding another 8ch card for summing 16ch for mixes wish I don't need at the moment but want.
The Hilo and Burl I can mix and master also record my synths thru the Burl for depth and body or master a digital mix and give it a 3d vibe with a Tape feel (I'm leaning more to this combi) or better my workflow with a 12core tower and Apollo x, only gripe I have with the Apollo x is they focus there converters and clock to tune in on the mids and low-end wish tends to come across muddy and force the sound spectrum to be feel flat like a wall with no dimensions, I'm sure the XB clock will help but dont know if the outcome will be good with its conversion. The last thing I want is to go with convenience and still be lacking on that professional sound as I'm looking to compete with the Big Boys.
What do you guys think? Am I overthinking it, is one of these options a no brainer or should I just buy more synths and keep saving money and move to LosAngeles?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Whoa, that's a lot to take in all at once!

So basically you want to have a full fledged studio setup? I haven't messed with clocks in a long time so I can't help with that but I read something about Black Lion, it looks like it does the job.

But for the other stuff, I would say focus on one piece at time, it seems like a lot you're diving into!

Why the move to LA? Maybe that is your main focus?

ATR360

ReZoUnD
Battle Points: 42
Whoa, that's a lot to take in all at once!

So basically you want to have a full fledged studio setup? I haven't messed with clocks in a long time so I can't help with that but I read something about Black Lion, it looks like it does the job.

But for the other stuff, I would say focus on one piece at time, it seems like a lot you're diving into!

Why the move to LA? Maybe that is your main focus?
ya I agree, and thats being minimal, its for starters. Its becoming a struggle in the head but I am leaning towards the the Hilo/Burl combination and keep it simple, build from there. But then sometimes I'm like, who the hell cares, I have my families 100%support and in pursuing this I'm moving them to LosAngelas in 2020. Maybe this is just a way for me to share with strangers what I'm going thru.