Subtractor Gangsta Bass

Holly Scott

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Dear Reasonfreak fam,

I hate to sound like a newb, coz I been at this for a few years, BUT I'm looking for that grainy analogue synth Gangsta bass off albums like

Blackout
all eyes on me

I know its really two basses with the high pitched snarl mirroring the sub bass, or on a slight delay (eg richie rich real pimp) But no mater how i tweak my subtractor patches or fuck around with the mod wheel, I just cant get it to sound right.

do you need heavy processing outside of reason to achieve this effect ofr am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
I know what your talking about, no i dont do any outside Processing for it.. i do it all in reason

Im not sure if there is a Stock bass that sounds like that or any in sound packs i normally just make them myself

its really helpfull to understand the synth machines rather than just turning knobs

Making thicker Bass has become alot Easier with the use of the combinator (ease of stacking sounds together)

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I think you mean a hoover, Its the "What the?!" patch from the Roland MKS50 ( Alpha Juno ). The principle is based on 3 ( or more ) saws, slightly detuned from each other, set an envelope to pitch, add pwm square and sub square and a touch of Chorus...

Holly Scott

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Nnxt said:
I know what your talking about, no i dont do any outside Processing for it.. i do it all in reason

Im not sure if there is a Stock bass that sounds like that or any in sound packs i normally just make them myself

its really helpfull to understand the synth machines rather than just turning knobs

Making thicker Bass has become alot Easier with the use of the combinator (ease of stacking sounds together)

Cheers dude - as I say I know my way around the subtractor - thats whats so frustrating - I just cant seem to get my finger on it. any hints on what waveforms to use etc? ps I just got 2.5 no combi

thanx

Holly Scott

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
I think you mean a hoover, Its the "What the?!" patch from the Roland MKS50 ( Alpha Juno ). The principle is based on 3 ( or more ) saws, slightly detuned from each other, set an envelope to pitch, add pwm square and sub square and a touch of Chorus...

Thanks man ... but I just got reason no hardware ... I guess the basic theory is the same tho - Ill give it a try

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
try it with a 2 malstroms in the combinator.

One with 2 saws tuned and Effect'd accordingly

and another with A Saw and a Sine (for the bass).

Now just apply Formants techniques on to the patches:
"The principle is based on 3 ( or more ) saws, slightly detuned from each other, set an envelope to pitch, add pwm square and sub square and a touch of Chorus..."

-NoVa

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
the malstrom must have more osc's then 1, so you can use 1 malstrom to do the job, consider modelation for the whole patch to be divided over 2 synths. I'd rather filter and Q the whole patch with 2 knobs, same for adsr etc.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
the malstrom must have more osc's then 1, so you can use 1 malstrom to do the job, consider modelation for the whole patch to be divided over 2 synths. I'd rather filter and Q the whole patch with 2 knobs, same for adsr etc.

Yea thats Why i said what i said cuz the malstrom has 2 oscs. so u would need to combine them in the combinator to get 4 or more:

Sanova said:
try it with a 2 malstroms in the combinator.

One with 2 saws tuned and Effect'd accordingly

and another with A Saw and a Sine (for the bass).

Now just apply Formants techniques on to the patches:
"The principle is based on 3 ( or more ) saws, slightly detuned from each other, set an envelope to pitch, add pwm square and sub square and a touch of Chorus..."

-NoVa

Holly Scott

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yep finally found the sound i was looking for ... in a maelstrom patch!

Holly Scott

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
either "vocode me" or "vocoders away" by "roach" on "contributed patches" 1001 maelstrom refill