sum technical/mastering questions

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
wassup illmuzik.... i have a couple questions im hopin sumone can answer here......

1) can someone give me a brief summary of the term "dynamics" when referring to mixing/mastering.. i play around wit these pulgins that change dynamic.. but from a techincal standpoint i don't know what im doing.... one preset on my plug in is called "supression" and it makes the sound seem fuller, and louder, but it seems to take away some of the quality of the sound... what is suppresion in refrence to dynamics?

2) what is a floating point compressor? on peak you have an option to attach a form of compression to your mix before you export....... i have started to mixdown with a 64 bit floatin compressor... i have no ides what it does...but it seems to sound better when i mixdown with the compressor than when i just do a normal mixdown with no special options.....could someone tell me what im doing?

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
dynamics is audio equipment designed to modify the dynamic range of audio. like compressors, expanders, gates, limiters, ect. now the dynamic range of sound is the ratio of the strongest, or loudest part to the weakest or softest part and is measured in db`s.

the surpressor is no more than a compressor with a with a high ratio.

as far as your 2nd question i never used peak but it sounds like your getting some type of fixed internal compression added to your wave file during your mixdown. if i`m correct your music file passes through this compressor during export and the compressor detects and analizes the file and automatically adjusts the dynamics accordingly.