Survivor?!!

SlickVikNewman

Hip Hop Super Villian
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Ok what if tomorrow when you logged on or flipped on the idiot box and found out that sampling was banned. Fines out the ass and all that. Now being that alot of us aint gettin' cut a phat check every 3 months from a major release most of us would keep bangin away just for the art and the love. BUT.............. How many big dogs would still be relevant? Who wouldnt be? How many could actually go in the lab and bake the biscuits from scratch? This aint no diss to samplin' before anybody start, I sample too, just trying to see if yall think that about the cats some of us look up too.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
lol well Preemo would be fucked.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I'd be fine, I quit sampling when Biz got busted. LOL.
Actually I have been tryin to get back into sampling cuz of all the tight trax on here...
?uest Love would still be relevant. I think you would meet a whole bunch of cats who ought to have been out already, definately I would feel secretly vindicated.

SlickVikNewman

Hip Hop Super Villian
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
KEV31 said:
yeah preme would be in big trouble. and maybe 9th wonder. all the other producers, usually have a mix of samples and musicians i think, so they could survive off that.

Hip Hop would never be the same!

I agree that would be like taking the soul out of hip hop. Hate it or love it, its the essence of the life that chose us, Hip Hop...... Premo would be up a creek, Kanye would be back at the GAP, Alchemist would be a Weedologist, Just Blaze would work for Sony testing Playstations.......... lol

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
KEV31 said:
yeah preme would be in big trouble. and maybe 9th wonder. all the other producers, usually have a mix of samples and musicians i think, so they could survive off that.

Hip Hop would never be the same!

No but its like this, hip hop would never be LOL, think about it, all of the nice methods to smooth out your sounds and sound Stevie Wonderesque & Prince Esque would be just that, most joints that are very jazzy and composed made as backdrops for the hip hop artist, you hear contain some hot musicians sample as the cornerstone and trying to recreate a certain ambience that could only come off a record is hard to emulate without using some piece of a sample or an interpolation of a known song....., not too many ways for Hip Hop to sound if its too musical composed of NO samples whatsoever(this is not counting a live band though like the roots who come damn close, I am talking about the sole producer relying on his composing and musical skills to synthetically and organically make hip hop joints consistently and convincingly with no samples, recreating the Jewels of Vinyl)...its possible but very hard, you have nice and clean music without samples thats what you have....but that just doesnt instantly get put into hip hop as the stand alone instrumental not a knock but just a fact there is a proper genre for the instrumental itself with the emcee branding it as a hip hop joint...it could be RnB or anything else........it would just Be Pop or some jazzy ish or more correctly "Music" not hip hop music... the rappers would have to be the only element to make it sound Hip HOp or move the instrumental to the realm of Hip Hop?..........unless you talking about using 808 kits, claps and synths forever what a lot of people would love but not for me tho, I can do but no thanks....samples made the art and genre, hard hitting drums, raw samples, vinyl, BASS and hard edged backdrops, go back to the ol skool its a cornerstone and necessary ingredient......and you cant separate the two(Sampling=Hip Hop) all that other ish came lately and hopped on...even elektro hip hop had to implement samples of either vocals or some percussion back in the day.....but if there is an offshoot of that its gotta be 808/909 based hip hop that is all over the place now.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
you know whats actually crazy.... i compose a lot of stuff myself, like smooth jazz type keys with basslines, guitar, saxaphones, etc... I've made about 3-4 actual jazz songs (using sample tank) and they sound nothing like hip hop.

What i've done though is sampled my own jazz songs through my 12bit sampler, then record that back into my computer as if it was off the record. I've made 2 sick songs from this already an its something I wanna look deeper into. I will forever SAMPLE for sure.. the possibilities and style is just endless.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
5th Sequence said:
you know whats actually crazy.... i compose a lot of stuff myself, like smooth jazz type keys with basslines, guitar, saxaphones, etc... I've made about 3-4 actual jazz songs (using sample tank) and they sound nothing like hip hop.

What i've done though is sampled my own jazz songs through my 12bit sampler, then record that back into my computer as if it was off the record. I've made 2 sick songs from this already an its something I wanna look deeper into. I will forever SAMPLE for sure.. the possibilities and style is just endless.

yeah I feel you, I got plenty of joints that I sort of dabbled into resampling but sometimes the graininess really shines thru, but it is possible if you start out with solid instruments, some distortion and fX.....its definitely possible, but coming up with the type riffs, over and over that people love to sample thats a whole nother story there....

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
bigdmakintrax said:
yeah I feel you, I got plenty of joints that I sort of dabbled into resampling but sometimes the graininess really shines thru, but it is possible if you start out with solid instruments, some distortion and fX.....its definitely possible, but coming up with the type riffs, over and over that people love to sample thats a whole nother story there....

oh for sure. It's like chess almost, tryna think a step ahead. I love to chop things up so i'm tryna think up a riff or melody for my composition.. and then also thinking how i'm gonna flip it. It's def. not the same as sampling off the record.. i love that texture right there.

I'm sure through messing around with it i'll capture more and more of that feel that i'm looking for.

Artistix

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 11
I think all these producers would be fine i believe everybody would just start hiring a team of musicians to just replay all the samples they find it might be benificial for them becuse they could save money from not using samples and paying the musicans far less then the record companys and artist whom they have sampled from. Beats might actually get better

KEV31

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
i know i'd be in trouble if i couldnt sample cuz i find it very hard to compose somethin that i consider legitimate. and it's even hard to play along with a sample, but sometimes i just put on an old record and filter it so i can play the bassline along with it. i'll probably end up pickin up another instrument to play around with once i get out on my own.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
classic said:
hip hop would be fine....cats would just sample themselves or work harder to recreate samples...

as far as producers, yea alot of cats would be out of work
I have to completely disagree, even though you entitled to your opinion, but how would hip hop be fine??? if sampling were illegal, you just said a lot of cats would be out of work LOL think about it.....there aren't this huge list of fully capable, musically solid individuals (even signed to labels that could become Quincy Jones, Stevie Wonder, Stylistics, Young Holt and so forth) or that could go and remake, a complete 4-8 bar riff from a Mandrill Cut for real capture the ambiance etc.......I oun know that organic ish might be ok but it prolly end up sounding like some samples off of either an acid CD or some BiG fish hip hop imitation....LOTS of musicians, hundreds of thousands as a collective made this great library available to the world on vinyl, there is no way the hip hop producers now would have time to make that music then reproduce it as hip hop....its bad enuff the majority of whats called hip hop now sounds the way it does...I cant imagine resampling it....maybe there will be a VST for it?? whats missing are the minds that could bring 5 or 6 people together and create live work and records.....thats the missing link will we go on sampling from the same well forever?? there certainly isnt the fully instrumented music around today in huge volumes when all there was vinyl, air, basic fX, talent and acoustics....to know music was a prerequisite to create....it really isnt anymore, not to say there aren't creative people, they just dont create things completely from scratch like they did from the first note.....and that finished product, painstakingly recorded by some tired engineer, etched to vinyl and put in an album sleeve was and still is the heart and soul of real hip hop though and also a WHOle lot of RnB that you hear nowadays all the way down to just a single guitar riff....IMHO

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
i think it would be fine becasue the foundation of hip hop has already been layed so if sampling were gone tomrrow cats would still know what they want to hear, they would find more creative means of reaching their goal.....

Just like evoultion survial of the fittiest, the cats with creativity would fine a way to make it happen, cats who lacked it or relyed purely on one way of making their beats would probolly fall to the wayside...

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
classic said:
i think it would be fine becasue the foundation of hip hop has already been layed so if sampling were gone tomrrow cats would still know what they want to hear, they would find more creative means of reaching their goal.....

Just like evoultion survial of the fittiest, the cats with creativity would fine a way to make it happen, cats who lacked it or relyed purely on one way of making their beats would probolly fall to the wayside...
Yeah kind of see the point you are making but I just dont know if its realistic, to go to that level to create requires at least the ability to probably play at some level, or assemble the players then sample, but then you become Dr. Dre i guess....but again back to my point of resources and assembling the musicians, do you think a label is going to ...instead of hire 3 producers...hire 1 producer then have the instrumental riff making band on hand to make samples????....

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
bigdmakintrax said:
Yeah kind of see the point you are making but I just dont know if its realistic, to go to that level to create requires at least the ability to probably play at some level, or assemble the players then sample, but then you become Dr. Dre i guess....but again back to my point of resources and assembling the musicians, do you think a label is going to ...instead of hire 3 producers...hire 1 producer then have the instrumental riff making band on hand to make samples????....

well their are a number of ways, just like u have legions of producers digging now, those same cats would be on the hunt to find musicans or bands to replay samples...

dont get me wrong i understand the importants of sampling to hip hop, i just belive that foundation has already been layed , now if sampling was takin away 25 years ago during hip hops infancy that would be a totally differnt story... hip hop probobly would have died out

Da IllFellaz

Knee Deep In Da Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 125
SlickVikNewman said:
I love Just like a brotha from a different mother, but my man relies pretty heavy on the vinyl!! He's a genius with that shit, but I dont know........

he has done beats with no samples at all. u need to hear more of his catalog. even if he still wanted to sample, he can have people come in a replaly anythin he wants to sample. its basically dat easy for the guy.

n even if samplin went away, wat about interpolations? those arent samples.

members online