Techniques you noticed in songs...

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What are some ill things you noticed in songs out today?

I was listening to big boi, the way you move and at i was listening to the bassline. at first, like the first 4 or 8 bars it is just an 808 kick, nothing major. then when he starts to rap, there is actually a bassline. it sounds good because it has almost the same tone as the kicks and the bass player plays more than just the notes on the main part. i thought that was kool how they did that.

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
its called scales. if you are a musician you have to know your scales in order to play music to its best. at this moment i cant hear the song in my head but i`d bet that those bass notes that you are talking about are what is called apreggio`s. apreggio`s are are a series of notes based on the key the song is in and the progression that makes up that song.

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
reguardly, I feel you Reg. I think the whole Jay Z... bring in the bassline late thing is starting to spread... I really notice the complex drums are out and simple patterns are starting to come in like MissE. and Neptunes...

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i know what a scale it, im not talking about that. im talking more about "layering" of the bass on top of the 808 kicks. it almost sounds like it is a recorded bass slide for each note, sampled and the layered on top of an 808 kick.

freakwncy-i kinda feel what you are saying with the simple drum patterns, but if you REALLY listen to a lot of songs,it is the kicks and the snares that usually are simple. but you mentioned the neptunes, listen to all the percussion they have going there, same with tim and some missy songs, if they did too much with the kicks and snares and had all that percussion going it would probably be too much.

S

StaffChamp

speaking of techniques and neptunes, and simple....i was watching that new Jay-z video (or any of them for that matter) and it dawned on me that the neptunes success is based upon they're ability to create simple, catchy beats and hooks, not because of any technical talent. i'm not saying they don't have it, but they know that alot of the time, less is more.

nas2000xl - you're right about the baseline, though...it's scalar movement but i don't think its an arpeggiation

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah..i noticed that too, most of their beats are based on very simple progressions, most of the time 2 or 3 notes. they have a few beats when they go more into it but most of the time it just back and forth between a few notes

PrOLifiK

Wax Fondling Since 420
ill o.g.
Anyone have any good sites that I can go to learn about these cord progressions and aprregios all you guys are talking about.

light

Producer
ill o.g.
yah i put an 808 kick behind tons of thangs. its a layering thing for sure. i hit the 808 on the one and place the first hit of the sample(s)on the one, along with the first hit of the bassline. it gives it a big hit with lots of bounce.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
well, nas and pboy were both right- but pboy, you noted that it sounded good because the tone was the same, and nas was simply saying that the REASON why was because it was played in a scale.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
uh yeah i wrote that actually. i didnt think anyone would like it, much less read it! thanks!

it kind of means so much more now because i am watching this very thing unfold in my family with my mom and aunt and the things that are going on...... had a huge fight last night with them and my stepdad.

anyhow thanks that meant alot coming right now.

luxx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ive been hearing beats w/ just hi hats or shakers and snares, no kick, just a heavy fairly constant bassline. sorry I cant think of any examples I dont really pay attention to "artists" or song names.

ill o.g.
If you hear: "It's Hot (Some Like It Hot)" by Jay-z and Produced by Timbaland, it's on "vol. III.. ..the life and times of s. carter", that's one of my fave beats, its sooo simple though.

check that out if you get the chance though.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
The Neptunes are good because they are 1) consistent and 2) the industry follows trends. Those are the only reasons. As a producer I've noticed that you'll get far if you can write a decent hook.

But to answer the question, I noticed that Timbaland is the only producer that is original, the rest fall in line with whatever's poppin, not because they don't have the ability to make different beats, its because the ARTIST says, "I need a beat like Grindin" or "Gimme a beat that sound like Quiet Storm".

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
yes shadeed i feel u on dat, sumtimes artists jus come 2 a producer n dey like 'do me a timbaland beat' or mos common nowadayz dey want neptune soundin beatz. i however disagree dat timbaland is da only original producer, come on man...

elkito

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
ive noticed on this busta track...the kik is like a bass note with a long release "brrrrrooooiin' and the snr is just sum clicky hi sound

ie not a drumkit

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
i think a good technique to have sometimes is a lack of music theory. sometimes its good not to know the rules. you stumble upon different ways of presenting music. like the snare and hi-hat with no bass kick. it doen't make sense to say it but in some situations it works. the best technique is having no boundaries i think

members online