the 4 elements

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I was at a B-Boy competition last night, it was my 1st time. I didn't know there were some in Montreal, but that made me wonder about those 4 sacred elements:

DJing
MCing
Breaking
Grafiti

And I think, later on, Beatboxing entered in there making it the 5th element...

My questions:

1- How said THOSE where the elements? I think it's part of a song or something, but I dont know which one...

2- Well, I'm pretty sure some other things should be added in the elements that constitute real hiphop. Dont y'all think? I mean, beatmaking, spoken words... are there other ? Or should the 4 elements stay as they are ?

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
I say ,,it started at 4 elements and should stay. Some things are close to hip hop,,, but alot is marketin crap from the industry. Examples...

Mary J Blidge aka Queen of Hip Hop Soul- WTF is Hip Hop Soul? Seriously?

Ashante aka Princess of Hip Hop- ,,,,I think NOT

As for,,,

Spoken Word- Thats poetry to me.

BeatMakin- Thats just makin music to me.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
yeah, Stress was on point.

Thoose four is what hip-hop is about.
I mean beatmaking evolved from DJing.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Well, then if spoken words is poetry, then ....

graffiti is just art...
breaking is just dancing...

and if beatmaking is just making music...

DJing is just playing records...

no?

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Steel Side said:
And beatmaking evoled from beatboxing.

So. MCing evolved from poetry. Breaking evolved from other forms of dancing. Things evolve and grow. All this stuff is are titles made up by people anyway.

This shit doesn't matter to me at all. Everyone is always arguing about what real hip hop is, and people love to act like the only real shit is shit that's stuck in the past and doing the same stuff that's already been done. It's like saying "real" movies are silent, black and white films.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
o-a-ksavage said:
So. MCing evolved from poetry. Breaking evolved from other forms of dancing. Things evolve and grow. All this stuff is are titles made up by people anyway.

This shit doesn't matter to me at all. Everyone is always arguing about what real hip hop is, and people love to act like the only real shit is shit that's stuck in the past and doing the same stuff that's already been done. It's like saying "real" movies are silent, black and white films.

took the words out of my mouth!

Hiphop is constantly evolving. I'm no MC, not an DJ, I dont break or graff... does that meana that I'm not hiphop?

Well I do make beats... I think that should be more than enough... no?

T

The Bastard

whast the difference between mcing and spoken word? isnt spoken word just 1 style of mcing.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
^^^^ I guess you could say that, but I thing a lot of spoken word artists (I dont know how they call themselves) dont consider themselves as MCs...

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.

WORDAMOUPH

NUPHONIX PRODUKTIONS
ill o.g.
THIS IS WHAT IT IS , there are 4 main element everything else branches out from these elements.
Simple as that. Yall talking bout " well am I not hip hop because i dont do any these?" Hip Hop Is not a Phuckin Structure were u have to play a certain role to be part of it, its how u live, how u talk what u do its a state of mind. You aint got to do any of these elements to BE HIP HOP , you just gotta respect it an love it. Ill tell u what aint hip hop though, chatting on a mudafuckin forum asking what the fuck is it!

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
lol...this thread will never close.

T

The Bastard

WORDAMOUPH said:
THIS IS WHAT IT IS , there are 4 main element everything else branches out from these elements.
Simple as that. Yall talking bout " well am I not hip hop because i dont do any these?" Hip Hop Is not a Phuckin Structure were u have to play a certain role to be part of it, its how u live, how u talk what u do its a state of mind. You aint got to do any of these elements to BE HIP HOP , you just gotta respect it an love it. Ill tell u what aint hip hop though, chatting on a mudafuckin forum asking what the fuck is it!
lol, yur absolutely right

ill o.g.
the elements of b-boyin', graffin', djin' all have been pushed to the background ... because of rappin'. once the emcees started to become more recognized and embracedby the media, emcees made more money and everyone was drawn towards rappin', usin' it as a get rich quick scheme. everyone wanted the glitz and glamour shown in music videos. just my opinion.

members online