THE 9TH DEGREE: 9th Wonder's class

O

open mind

lol he seemed really pissed off of nwa n fiffty a.k.a. fisher price lol. wasnt it ice-t that showed the world "gangsta rap" first before nwa? he started the whole mess and negativity known as "gangsta rap" that I LIKE heheheheh.

*plays ice-ts "iam your pusher" and sings with the hook*

i'm your momma, i'm your daddy
I'm that ***** in the alley
I'm the brother
When you need a true playa to receive
You know me, i'm your friend
You may more than you think
MC Ice-T
I'm your pusher

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Thank God somthing is happening in NC is all I can say..
Ima check this vid out when I get home..
Ice-T is from NJ BTW, he moved out west.
Plus much as Ice-T catches shit for gangsta rap he always had a moral to any rhyme that would sorta tell the kids to keep away from that shit.He was more anti-government in my eyes than pure "go become a gangster" music.
I dont care what they say dude is nice..
NWA was to me more of a glamorizing of the gang life style.But we pumped that too!

Wizdom

Soul Collector
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
lol he seemed really pissed off of nwa n fiffty a.k.a. fisher price lol. wasnt it ice-t that showed the world "gangsta rap" first before nwa? he started the whole mess and negativity known as "gangsta rap" that I LIKE heheheheh.

Yeah, I'm sure there has to be the west coast version of Cool Herc out there that no one really talks about. I would bet that Ice-T actually just benefited off of someone before him..

Also, I like the fact that there is a "movement" going on that represents more than just what's being played in the masses. This may give a chance for other types of producers - given that there are many genre's of hip hop.

Quality

Godson of the Clapper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 19
Yea 9th is nice....I cant beleive he started on FL and still uses it today but that makes u lazy thoe...Thats why im moving to an ASR-10 and use the mpc to sequence

I understand that as you get better, it might be a good idea to try other equipment to expand. I guess it might improve your music and such. But how can sticking with something that you are comfortable with and know how to operate make you lazy? If he blew up with FL, then why wouldn't he stick with what works? I am just wondering though, does 9th only use vinyl and FL?

Just my 2 cents.

Also, thanks for the video. 9th wonder seems like a cool dude and Kid N Play had some nice old school jams.

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
used to be a BIG 9th wonder fan, i just really wish he wouldn't use the same drums / basslines in all his songs.

robb_lowe

Akai Till I Die...
ill o.g.
I wanted to smack the mess out of the interviewer because it was like he was acting blind to the fact that hip hop is messed up. Listen to him. "Who in hip hop is trying to send a message?" Come on man? Are you stupid? Real hip hop is all over the place, it just doesn't get pushed. (Freakin' idiot) I know that 9th wanted to kick him in the teeth...

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
THE 9TH DEGREE ft. Kid from "Kid n Play"
Hip Hop: Past, Present, and Future
Durham, North Carolina:

he calls 50cent "fisher price" hehe

http://www.thisisrealmusic.com/9thdegree/may2007.htm

da relic

that was play from kid n play

and people need to realize that there's not that much wrong with hip hop today. It's not as potent as it was in its heydey, but It's still good.

people need to realize that hip hop is about SELF EXPRESSION. If you have a message and you're trying to make a change, then go ahead do your thing. But if your a simple dude who likes nikes and white Tee's, then shit don't try to front like you're some pseudo-black pather, just rap about what you know and care about. THAT'S hiphop.

and the beats are a very big part of hiphop. you gotta have a hot beat before anything. If you care more about the message than the music, then you should just write a book.

and be free w/ this shit. stop trying to be a damn rap nazi

Hita_K

Dilltastic
ill o.g.
Thats a real informative class, I wish I grew up during that time to. Hopefully these kind of classes will expand worldwide.

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.

and people need to realize that there's not that much wrong with hip hop today. It's not as potent as it was in its heydey, but It's still good.

people need to realize that hip hop is about SELF EXPRESSION. If you have a message and you're trying to make a change, then go ahead do your thing. But if your a simple dude who likes nikes and white Tee's, then shit don't try to front like you're some pseudo-black pather, just rap about what you know and care about. THAT'S hiphop.

and the beats are a very big part of hiphop. you gotta have a hot beat before anything. If you care more about the message than the music, then you should just write a book.

There is plenty wrong with hip hop, I don't think you got the message. Hip hop is not the club, and dancing which is pushed on TV today. Hip hop is a lifestyle that you live. Due to the negative images the media has portrayed of black americans most people think we can all ran, dance and play ball. This is due the the media and the mangling of our culture. Since it became proftable you have old white men saying what hip hop is. There is plenty wrong with it, you just gotta open your eyes and look around at were is was and where its at now.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! *throws things at the speaker* HIISSSSssssss

There is plenty wrong with hip hop, I don't think you got the message. Hip hop is not the club, and dancing which is pushed on TV today. Hip hop is a lifestyle that you live. Due to the negative images the media has portrayed of black americans most people think we can all ran, dance and play ball. This is due the the media and the mangling of our culture. Since it became proftable you have old white men saying what hip hop is. There is plenty wrong with it, you just gotta open your eyes and look around at were is was and where its at now.

*Stands and applauds!!!*

Manji

ILLIEN
ill o.g.

hip hop is our form or art/expression. you know, CULTURE. Your lifestyle is school/work/hobbies/interest/family and whatever you do to make ends meet.

We're most likely always gonna live culturally, because music IS culture. Whether you wanna live the hip hop culture or the classical music culture is up to you.

and lol @ "hip hop is not in the club." Man, what are you talking about, hiphop started in the clubs and in the streets, w/ mc's rockin' parties and bboy's pop lockin' and doin' footwork.

all the "real hip hop" niggas need to fall back, cause niggas like that are what's wrong with hip hop. Not everybody's gonna be some social-political black representative, or a complicated story teller. Sometimes you just wanna go to the club and feel on a girl's ass and listen to some 808's. There's no negativity in that. None.

Plus, there's negative and/or stereo typical images of all races and cultures in the media. Italians get portrayed as mobsters and gangsters and we eat that shit up. We look at asians as kungfu masters and math wizards. It's just stereotyping, stop being worried about what your precious white people think, and do you.

I do agree that the portrayel(sp) of hip hop is very one sided though. You don't really see too many B-Boy and graf videos on bet like back in the day. So yeah, they are leaving some shit out and it's lame. but it's not as bad as you think. just chill out.

Deadbeat

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
You know, I had a history teacher in high school. He only taught the history that showed off America's history as noble, righteous, and struggling. He never really acknowledged, analyzed, or critiqued the BAD with the GOOD. He only taught the good.

When someone teaches something, and does so in a way that brushes to the side the despicable, horrible, angry, greedy, violent, murderous, and out-right hateful side of something, even though it clearly exists, they lessen their very words.

N.W.A. had a lot of messages. So does the modern-day of music done in the same vein. And a lot of these messages are blatantly revolving around greed, racism (or at the very least, the ideology of separate but equal, which is racist in my eyes), or simple hate. Maybe there are countless professors (9th Wonder included) who are teaching what's wrong with these aspects of the culture, but I sure don't ever see any of it.

Now, you can say that acknowledging this stuff makes you some kind of hip-hop uncle tom, but that's like saying if you criticize the policies of a flawed government you're somehow a terrorist or at the very least, not a patriot.

Deadbeat

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I didn't mean to kill the thread, honestly. My bad. I know what may fix it.

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
Everything that's wonderful is what I feel when we're together,
Brighter than a lucky penny,
When you're near the rain cloud disappears, dear,
And I feel so fine just to know that you are mine.

My life is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,
That's how this refrain goes, so come on, join in everybody!

.....omg I'm so sorry thread, I'm so very sorry.

members online