The Bass VS The Kick

O

open mind

they use some frequences together and conflict each other this results in distortion and some bad sound in the mix this thread is about dealing with this problems.

what u do to seperate the bass from the kick? post your technics!

here is what i do.

============================================
1] if kick and bass hit on the same step i take some attack of the bass this way it leaves space for the kick

2] if they have the highest peak on the same freq for example 60hz(could be a higher or lower freq) i change kickdrum
or the bass with a diffrent sounding wave so it has diffrent peaks.
other method is i roll of some 60hz from kick and boost 60hz on bass or the opposite

3] i change the bassline and make it hit on offbeats!

4] i fuck with volume levels.

5] i compress them toghether to get one heavy bass kick sound!

one of these methods or combos of them togheter works good for me try it out and dont forget your ears.feel free to add more methods n technics.cheers!

open mind.

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
This is what i do in FL. (got this from another site) First, punch the kick to one channel in the mixer (please be sure to mark that channel "kick" to avoid confusion). Then, apply a "BassBoost" to the kick channel and set the frequency to be in between 60Hz and 80Hz.

Next, set the parametric eq on the kick channel as follows:
1) Set EQ Band 1 Level to -18db
2) Set EQ Band 1 Freq to 10 Hz

Our kick channel eq should then have a very slight dip in the 'left' hand side of the eq. This allows for our bassline to 'cover' that portion while still 'kicking' it out in the other frequency. Next, punch the bassline to a different channel (be sure to mark channel this as bass). The, apply a "BassBoost" to that channel and set the frequency to be in between 75 and 95 Hz.

For the parametric eq, it is advised that the response be 'flat', but we are allowed to tweak it in accordance to our sound (which is very important). Now this should seperate your bass and kick, however, nothing beats good ol' fashioned monitoring (again and again), and the tweaking of our freq and eq accordingly to taste.

~NW~

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
open mind said:
they use some frequences together and conflict each other this results in distortion and some bad sound in the mix this thread is about dealing with this problems.

what u do to seperate the bass from the kick? post your technics!

here is what i do.
3] i change the bassline and make it hit on offbeats!

If you notice, in RnB the kick is mostly on the same time as the bass. And in hiphop too. The thing is. Your bass as to be on key with your drums. Take an rnb beat, and you'll see how the kick mesh so well with the bass and I think it's due to the fact they are in the same key.

Now it's not something i read somewhere, I just realised that, so maybe i'm wrong though

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I wrote a lil tutorial on that subject, but didn't send it to Fade yet (for aproval...) I'll get back to you on that one...

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
Relic said:
:O lol the rudundency of it all..wouldnt be so bad if Open Mind wasnt right there, talkin bout great post then started this thread...lol

ha. thats crazy

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
here's a little something that i found a while back...i've been using it for a minute, and it sounds pretty good to me:

Kick

1. boost the lows on the kick (60-80Hz)

2. cut the low mids anywhere from 150Hz to 400Hz (sometimes called the mudrange)

3. boost the highs at around 3000Hz.

This will provide a solid low end, remove some of the mud in the midrange and accentuate the attack of the kick pedal on the drum.

For the bass, we do pretty much the opposite;

1. cut the lows where you boosted them on the kick (60-80Hz)

2. boost the bass at around 120 - 150Hz which will provide a full bass sound (while occupying the frequency space we made by cutting the kick drum in this range),

3. boost the highs at around 900Hz since bass also provides information in that range as well.

In short, we are emphasizing the frequencies that are important to the sound of each, while cutting the frequencies where they can conflict. Try this technique. You'll get a full bottom with a clear thump with a defined attack in the kick and a clear, full bass.

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
finnigan said:
2. cut the low mids anywhere from 150Hz to 400Hz (sometimes called the mudrange)

cosign that. I usually cut both the bass and the kick somewhere in that range. For example, if the kick is deeper, I'll cut it at 200-250 HZ (Q at 1.4-2) and then cut the bass at 300-400 (same Q). I normally cut somewhere between 1-3dB depending on the sounds themselves.

Make sure you 1. can hear the bass accurately on your monitors, and 2. listen to it on other speaker systems.

O

open mind

i read somewhere that sidechain compression is a common technic to avoid problems with the kick and bass.but i have no clue how to make it work.anyone knows?

BeatAssassin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Here is a great site. www.experimedia.net/page.php?id=102

It has a tutorial on cubase, abelton, and etc

Good video tutorial also.

Holla at ya boy

Also, I forgot to mention that if you guys are mixing your kick and basses. Remember to not eq the kick with the same frequency with the basses.

For instance: Example say you boost at 60 to 80hz on the kick. Then you may want to cut those frequency on your bass. I don't know if you guys know that. This works a great deal by seperating those sounds.

Sorry, Didn't see Finnigan post reading to fast. He expalin the same thing.

O

open mind

Thank You! big help with the link and your explanation.this will improve my mixing game 4 sure.

*edit* man i did some fast tests with it and it worked right from the spot. the result is huge the kick comes much better trough the bass,cant wait to use it on my regular tracks.this is really important IMO dont overlook SIDECHAIN COMPRESSION!

yo iam just wondering what would be another good use of SIDECHAIN compression besides the kick and the bass?

one love...

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
sidechain is definitly a short cut to some good results. get, for instance, red shift media ducker vst, its free. what u do with it, route two signals into the ducker channel, signal 1 will be compressed by appearance of signal 2. its simple, the bass is turned down, when the kick appears. makes the drums cut well through the mix.

O

open mind

sidechain is definitly a short cut to some good results. get, for instance, red shift media ducker vst, its free. what u do with it, route two signals into the ducker channel, signal 1 will be compressed by appearance of signal 2. its simple, the bass is turned down, when the kick appears. makes the drums cut well through the mix.

i got it working with my plugin but iam def. gonna try out that ducker vst thanks for mention it.

members online