The beat market is oversaturated

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
As you know, I hear beats from lots of people daily. It's just something I do because of IllMuzik but also other areas online like social media.

The thing is, there's TONS of beats out there. TONS.

And there's also TONS of beat makers!

I look back and think of when I first got into this and I didn't even know who made beats for artists I admired, and I figured there was only about a dozen or so that were the ones really making beats (at least for the popular songs I would hear).

But after all these years we're at a point where there are so many advances in technology that it's much easier for anyone to make beats AND to have their beats heard.

Countless times I see rappers on Twitter asking for beat makers to send them beats.

That's it. That's all they ask. "Yo producers: I need your beats NOW".

How does one respond to that?

The same goes for beat makers themselves that ask "attn rappers: DM me if you need beats".

Now, I'm not knocking anyone for hustling and trying to do their thing but it's just kind of sad that this is how it's done. People just texting each other about beats.

Then to top it off, 95% of the time the rappers want to low-ball the beat makers and pretty much want the beat for next to nothing, or literally nothing!

I don't have a solution at this time, I just wanted to vent and by doing so hopefully others can give their opinions on the matter.

I know the days are gone of artists meeting up with beat makers and producers through word of mouth, mutual friends, or bumping into each other at a studio.

I guess the main thing is that now it's purely a business rather than what it used to be, which was rappers and producers working together in person in the studio and creating something!

As far as today, the market is overwhelmed with beat makers and rappers and everyone is trying to get paid, which creates a very competitive market. So how is someone supposed to stand out from the rest? It's very frustrating.

What are your thoughts?

Yea technology has definitely changed the game. I remember when it was difficult to have studio money,,, I'm waiting to see when will professional studio start shutting down. I know not all of them will because of hollywood but that's how I feel about beat makers. If it wasnt for flstudio(some of blame not all) 90's hip hop would still be going on 90% and producers would not be gettin disrespected when it comes to the price tag of a beat. I saw a beat maker selling 100 beats for $17! 5 cents beat lmao!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yea technology has definitely changed the game. I remember when it was difficult to have studio money,,, I'm waiting to see when will professional studio start shutting down. I know not all of them will because of hollywood but that's how I feel about beat makers. If it wasnt for flstudio(some of blame not all) 90's hip hop would still be going on 90% and producers would not be gettin disrespected when it comes to the price tag of a beat. I saw a beat maker selling 100 beats for $17! 5 cents beat lmao!
That's ridiculous! I understand they do that to try and get some sort of relationship with a client but that's very low.

You're right though, software definitely changed everything. I had a drum machine + sampler combo but then when I got software I was blown away and started to question why I would need my drum machine and sampler.

I'm actually surprised there's still a good amount of studios around, but I assume a lot of them (when it comes to music recording) are mainly doing mixing for clients. It makes sense if you're making beats at home and you want it mixed properly, so that's where a studio comes into play.

That's ridiculous! I understand they do that to try and get some sort of relationship with a client but that's very low.

You're right though, software definitely changed everything. I had a drum machine + sampler combo but then when I got software I was blown away and started to question why I would need my drum machine and sampler.

I'm actually surprised there's still a good amount of studios around, but I assume a lot of them (when it comes to music recording) are mainly doing mixing for clients. It makes sense if you're making beats at home and you want it mixed properly, so that's where a studio comes into play.
also like you said i never get how beatmakers always post hit me in the dm for beats thats like telling a complete stranger in the streets call me if you need beat lol

DJ Muhal

Yeah, I agree with you it totally sucks. The market is so oversaturated. Nowadays everybody calls themselves a rapper or producer, but very few of them actually take the time to perfect their craft. But even though the market is oversaturated at feel like that's where rappers and producers have to be more creative about how they promote themselves, because it's so easy to get swallowed up by all the noise.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@DJ Muhal neither rappers or producers take time because we live in an instant gratification society that rewards speed over tact. Everyone wants everything immediately w/no thought to long term anything.

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
I'm a little torn about this because I guess I look at it like every other market that's over saturated. You pretty much have to literally get in where you fit in but at the same time not fully compromising your worth. I recently had to deal with being low balled on some beats (I'm talking less than dinner for two) and I told them if you cant afford my price then go some where else but then you have to ask, how do you compete with 20.00 beats or $20.00 beat leases.Then there's the artist that you try to work with but have every excuse to no want to get in the studio but want you to constantly send beats which becomes very frustrating. Personally I'm getting closer to that place where I'm just putting my focus into beat tapes and instrumental projects.

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@Krazyfingaz That sucks about the low prices like that, but I guess nowadays it's expected.

Years ago when I was doing web design it was ridiculous. I would check freelance sites and try to get work from that but they would ALL low ball me. And a lot of it was because I had to compete with people in India that would offer to do their website for $10! So if I said my price is $1000 they wouldn't even answer me.

With beats it's because there's just so many beatmakers out there that rappers now have so much choice. If they offer you $10 for a beat and you don't take it, they'll just hit up someone else, they don't care.

I used to see the same thing with the fitness industry. Personal trainers a lot of times are freelance, and the rate could be $50/hour. Then one day at the gym I see this trainer advertising for $10/hour! I'm sure the other trainers wanted to smash a 45 plate across his head.

Basically, it just devalues it for EVERYONE. You can base your price off of your entire product (your beat) or per hour (whatever you think your rate should be).

So if a studio were to hire you to come in everyday and make beats for them, and they paid you $10/hour - would you do it? That's a slap in the face really because you know they're making tons more off of your work.

prodbysold

Quality Beats By Yours Truly
also like you said i never get how beatmakers always post hit me in the dm for beats thats like telling a complete stranger in the streets call me if you need beat lol

lol damn u made it sound like he's selling dope man. haha

members online