The Beat Thang is (finally) in tha Buliding!!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I actually like what I've seen about it, my concern was the price as well but I think that was to be expected...I mean it would be extremely hard for ANY 'new company' to come out and compete with already established companies like AKAI and NI. Maybe it will hold at a grand or maybe thats just my wishful thinking?!?!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's odd. But I guess it's like you said, it's hard to compete with NI and Akai. If you want to get into that market, you do something different like NI with Maschine. Now Akai's making a change as well with their new MPC's, so the Beat Thang will get lost in the shuffle. I suppose most people look at it as just another beat machine.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
The price is to high and the market to small for the product. both MPC's and Maschine can hit hip-hop, electronic, and general production markets. Beat Thang has a much smaller potential audience AND the price is to high. On top of that they where vaporware for so long no one took them serious when they finally launched. And it's to bad, I am sure it is a cool product. Man, if they dropped to $500 NOW and marketed it hard I bet they could make it. assuming they could turn a profit at $500, but 1k is to much for a totally unknown player.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I can't speak for all but this is why the 'hype' around Maschine is so important...even at $500, I don't think Beat Thang would compete with Maschine. NI's marketing of Maschine combined with their ongoing commitment to improve it sets it apart from anything else. At this point, I'm wondering if the Renaissance will be able to justify a $1,300 price tag...it would have to blow Maschine out of the water.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Well the Renaissance brings a few interesting things to the table, the most interesting is the ability to open old MPC session files. This seems like a pretty big deal to me, but NO having a audio interface does not justify that much larger of a price. The chunky transport buttons on the MPC also seem like a nice addition. But the sold called "rock solid" MPC timing is simply not possible with an audio interface involved so AKAI kind of proved that software could handle this type of work. And yes, it seems that NI is both the most committed and has the best customer service. It sure is an interesting race. :)

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Yeah the ability to open older MPC files is great for those upgrading MPC's but meaningless to those that aren't. I've already reserved one but I've got to see something awesome before I totally commit to it and the benchmark for me will be what it can do compared to the MV not Maschine at that price. =)

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
I use the BT Virtual all the time as a plugin. The features in the Virtual version are iffy, but the sounds are its bread and butter. I think they need to focus more on BT Virtual then the hardware unit for now on.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Virtual BT seems like a waste of time. I am not really a fan of to many stock sounds, I like to grow my own although the Maschine expansions are pretty amazing. But I would love a report of how the hardware is doing for people.

Different strokes for diff folks, if they really wanted to put the time into BT Virtual it would be hot. I do agree with you on the Mashine expansions, I use sounds from the Conant Gardens expansion all the time as well.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i bought the Beat Thang for its portabilty, but the sounds are great.. theyve had a few OS upgrades which fixed a couple of things, so now it very solid for me.. i know everyone has their personal choice of machines, but im at a point now where, all i need is a good sampler, a great sequencer, and decent sounds, and im gonna be ok.. all u need are those 3 things... effects and other things are a plus, but not necessary, bcuz u find those on the other machines u have.. i also bought a Mac last year. so im content with wat i have now.. every idea that i think of in my head can be reached... and they were reached b4 the Beat Thang OR the Mac was even thought of.

da relic

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
thx dp, but its true... think about it.. consider the machines u might be using.. i personally have 7 that i can say are bein used.. but lets break down wat each has..

Synth sounds.. the RS, the Fusion, the Nord Lead 2, and the Beat Thang..
Drum sounds... The RS, the Fusion, the Beat Thang, and the ER1..
Sequencer... the RS, the Fusion, and the Beat Thang..
Sampling... the RS, the Fusion, and the Beat Thang..
Effects... the RS, the Beat Thang, the Korg 16XD, the Fusion, and the ER1..

and once u throw a computer into the bunch (the Mac), everything really is covered... after u look at it all, u wonder why ur still lustin for equipment.

da relic

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
i agree totally.. i got equipment in the closet, on the floor, and i different rooms of the house.. if i didnt have any kids, i mightve sold it already.. so i'll piece together an 80's style studio for them soon.. lol.. its like, ur gonna learn with vinyl 1st... then i'll let u use the CDJs.. lol

da relic