Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
D.C. Police to Check Drivers In Violence-Plagued Trinidad

By Allison Klein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, June 5, 2008; A01

D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier announced a military-style checkpoint yesterday to stop cars this weekend in a Northeast Washington neighborhood inundated by gun violence, saying it will help keep criminals out of the area.

Starting on Saturday, officers will check drivers' identification and ask whether they have a "legitimate purpose" to be in the Trinidad area, such as going to a doctor or church or visiting friends or relatives. If not, the drivers will be turned away.

The Neighborhood Safety Zone initiative is the latest crime-fighting attempt by Lanier and Mayor Adrian M. Fenty, who have been under pressure from residents to stop a recent surge in violence. Last weekend was especially bloody, with seven slayings, including three in the Trinidad area.

"In certain areas, we need to go beyond the normal methods of policing," Fenty (D) said at a news conference announcing the action. "We're going to go into an area and completely shut it down to prevent shootings and the sale of drugs."

The checkpoint will stop vehicles approaching the 1400 block of Montello Avenue NE, a section of the Trinidad neighborhood that has been plagued with homicides and other violence. Police will search cars if they suspect the presence of guns or drugs, and will arrest people who do not cooperate, under a charge of failure to obey a police officer, officials said.

The enforcement will take place at random hours and last for at least five days in Trinidad, with the option of extending it five more days. Checkpoints could be set up in other neighborhoods if they are requested by patrol commanders and approved by Lanier.

The strategy, patterned after a similar effort conducted years ago in New York, is not airtight. There are many ways to get in and out of Trinidad, not just on the one-way Montello Avenue. And pedestrians will not be stopped, which is something critics say might render the program ineffective.

"I guess the plan is to hope criminals will not walk into neighborhoods," said D.C. Council member Phil Mendelson (D-At Large). "I also suppose the plan is to take the criminal's word for it when he or she gives the police a reason for driving into a neighborhood."

Since taking over as chief in December 2006, Lanier has struggled with the issue of violent crime. She has added patrols, revived a unit specializing in getting guns off the streets and changed commanders in six of the city's seven patrol districts. Last weekend, officers were close enough in one case that they heard the barrage of gunfire coming from a triple homicide on Holbrook Street in Trinidad.

The program is aimed at the city's most troubled areas. The 5th Police District, which includes Trinidad, has had 22 killings this year, one more than all of last year. Since April 1, the Trinidad neighborhood has had seven homicides, 16 robberies and 20 assaults with dangerous weapons, according to police data. In many cases in Trinidad and across the city, gunshots are fired from passing cars, victims are found in cars or cars are used to make fast getaways.

"We have to try to take away the things that are facilitating the ability to commit crime," Lanier said.

Leaders of the American Civil Liberties Union said yesterday that they will be watching what happens closely and that legal action is likely.

"My reaction is, welcome to Baghdad, D.C.," said Arthur Spitzer, legal director for the ACLU's Washington office. "I mean, this is craziness. In this country, you don't have to show identification or explain to the police why you want to travel down a public street."

Interim Attorney General Peter J. Nickles said that his office reviewed the initiative and that similar efforts had survived court tests.

"I don't anticipate us being sued," Nickles said. "But if you do want to sue us, the courts are open."

U.S. Attorney Jeffrey A. Taylor said that D.C. officials consulted his office about their plans and that prosecutors suggested some changes to try to ensure that any arrests would hold up in court. "We applaud the District's efforts to make neighborhoods safer," Taylor said. "Whatever we do has to be consistent with the Constitution."

New York police set up a nearly identical checkpoint in 1992 in a neighborhood of the Bronx that was plagued by drug dealing and drive-by shootings. Police ran the Watson Avenue Special Operation on a random basis, mostly in evening hours. Officers stopped drivers, but not pedestrians, coming into the area, to confirm that they had a legitimate reason to be there.

A federal appeals court upheld the legality of the New York effort, saying in a 1996 ruling that it "served an important public concern" and was "reasonably viewed as an effective mechanism to deter crime in the barricaded area."

D.C. police have used various forms of checkpoints for years. In 1988, for example, they blocked streets and searched courtyards in a pair of apartment complexes in Northeast Washington in a bid to drive out drug dealers. That move came during the crack cocaine epidemic, in a year when the city recorded 372 homicides. Last year, the city had 181 killings.

Former D.C. police chief Isaac Fulwood Jr., who led the department from 1989 until 1992, said he liked using checkpoints because his officers were able to make arrests and gather intelligence.

"They are effective. You recover stolen cars and firearms," Fulwood said. "You've got to have a lot of them if you're going to have them. You need to move as the criminal element shifts."

Some residents expressed support for the plan yesterday, saying they are willing to submit to the checks if it makes the neighborhood safer. "We can't endure any more homicides," said neighborhood activist India Henderson.

But others said they were disappointed police have not developed relationships that would allow them to gather information and find criminals without resorting to the stepped-up tactics.

"I knew eventually we'd be a police state," said Wilhelmina Lawson, who has lived in the neighborhood for 20 years. "They don't talk to us, they're not community minded."

One of Lanier's plans, the Safe Homes initiative, has yet to get off the ground because of a community backlash. The plan, announced by Lanier and Fenty at a news conference in March, called for police to go door-to-door in crime-ridden areas and ask residents whether they could go inside and search for guns. Residents and some council members voiced concerns that homeowners would feel intimidated by police. Lanier backed off, but said she plans to move forward soon by having residents call police to set up appointments.

Another plan, to arm hundreds of patrol officers with semiautomatic rifles, starting this summer, also got mixed reviews from residents.

Kristopher Baumann, head of the D.C. police lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police, said he was concerned about public perception of the checkpoints and the potential that it could lead to more citizen complaints. He questioned Lanier's overall approach, saying, "There is no strategy and no mid-term and long-term planning.

"That's the biggest disappointment of Chief Lanier's tenure," Baumann said. "One thing we were excited about and optimistic about was, for once, we'd have strategies to combat crime and not just be reactive. But we haven't seen it. It's been a year and a half."

Council member Harry Thomas Jr. (D-Ward 5), who represents Trinidad and other parts of Northeast Washington, said he had informal discussions with Lanier in which she had mentioned the possibility of the checkpoint announced yesterday, but he got little notice before the news conference. Civil liberties are always a concern, said Thomas, who maintained that residents are so concerned about violence that they will be willing to give the latest program a try.

"I think the general consensus is that we have to do something because people live in fear," he said. "What would you rather have?" he asked. "A positive pattern of [police] checking things . . . or these folks who come into the community and wreak havoc?"

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
At what cost?

For that operation prolly around $500,000
I wouldnt wanna live in a damn warzone inside the United States.
Shouldnt even be like that. AND its the nations capital, that aint a good look!
Pretty sure that if the crime goes down the cops will go away, trust me they are Lazy and would rather not have to stop people all day everyday forever.

trust me they are Lazy and would rather not have to stop people all day everyday forever.
If it becomes a part of the job description then they wont have much choice, its like traffic duty, no cop wants to do it, but someone has to. When its either do your job or get fired, most people will do their job.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
If it becomes a part of the job description then they wont have much choice, its like traffic duty, no cop wants to do it, but someone has to. When its either do your job or get fired, most people will do their job.

right! But if people stop killing each other in these areas then bleef me they arent gonna go running around kickin in doors.They are goin to dunkin doughnuts

right! But if people stop killing each other in these areas then bleef me they arent gonna go running around kickin in doors.They are goin to dunkin doughnuts
People going around killing each other is just a part of the "Create a problem" so they can propose their already pre concieved "solution".
The question needs to be asked why is it fashionable to be a gangster?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
People going around killing each other is just a part of the "Create a problem" so they can propose their already pre concieved "solution".

Thats true, I blame that on all of you damn rap producers!

I do bleef the police or psyops came up with the "wear your pants around your knees and no belt" look so that criminals cant run away!

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
They have to do something .. Its alright for us sitting here righting the wrongs of the world on the internet but we ain't living in that neighbourhood. It has to be bad if they are setting up a checkpoint.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
They have to do something .. Its alright for us sitting here righting the wrongs of the world on the internet but we ain't living in that neighbourhood. It has to be bad if they are setting up a checkpoint.

Thats what I'm saying, I would be welcoming that shit if you have 7 murders in one weekend in my neighborhood.
In fact with a crime rate like that I would be pissed if the cops werent doing that or something!

ill o.g.
It's martial law... not marshall law

Martial law means that the military takes over policing/justice, not that the police act more military like...
Try getting the facts (and words) right before you comment on them.

2good said:
I forsee the same thing happening here soon, only they will be looking for knives here.

Have you been living under a rock? The UK has ridiculous amounts of cctv cameras... the average londoner is filmed 300 times a day (back in 2006 at least, prolly more now). I really dont see how thats less police state like than extra security in a bad hood. Especially since they are all monitored by the same people, as opposed to individuals.

2good said:

This statement is just too ridiculous to even reply to... You must think people have always been beautiful peace loving angels before the evil corporations took control!

2good said:

If you mean all the fake gansta shit in our media then its simple...violence has always been fashionable for people to watch. The romans didnt build the colosseum to hold giant tea parties... Before the fake gangsta shit in our media there were always violent movies and shows in our media.

If you mean real actual gangsters then you are sadly mistaken into thinking they do it to be fashionable. We dont all have the luxury of living in a country with free healthcare and great welfare benefits. Bills need to be paid, mouths and drug habits need to be fed, and if you dont have anyone left in your life the gang fills in that gap too.

OT: I sure as shit wouldnt mind extra security in my hood if there were was so much gun related violence and death going on!

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
if you fixed the prison system and prepared releasable inmates for society by maditorally educating them with high quality education and jobs upon release then they would not go back. Fund it by devoting a fraction that is threw at killing people in the middle east. Also, throw ridiculous amounts at education PERIOD..

Inmates would not go back to crime if they had a 30-40k job upon release. Most criminals fell into a desperate situation of no love and fist-to-face reality like a mutha fucker... so if they are captured then you give them compassion, manditory education, and opportunity!

If you get some hard-headed lemonhead then you send him to level 2 lockup which would be for somewhat like prison is now. This way inmates who would want improvement get it

If you did this then society would get better... it has been getting worse because criminals are released worse.. drugs are more available (ie coke/crack/meth).. hope is a rare commodity.. and education is for those demographic that birthed into it and not EVERYONE, like it should be.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
hahahahaha!!! 2 Good! Dysphunktional gotcha buddy!!!!

Chrono; said:
if you fixed the prison system and prepared releasable inmates for society by maditorally educating them with high quality education and jobs upon release then they would not go back. Fund it by devoting a fraction that is threw at killing people in the middle east. Also, throw ridiculous amounts at education PERIOD..

Inmates would not go back to crime if they had a 30-40k job upon release. Most criminals fell into a desperate situation of no love and fist-to-face reality like a mutha fucker... so if they are captured then you give them compassion, manditory education, and opportunity!

If you get some hard-headed lemonhead then you send him to level 2 lockup which would be for somewhat like prison is now. This way inmates who would want improvement get it

If you did this then society would get better... it has been getting worse because criminals are released worse.. drugs are more available (ie coke/crack/meth).. hope is a rare commodity.. and education is for those demographic that birthed into it and not EVERYONE, like it should be.

Now see this is a type of solution I have been talking about for a while now...
People need opportunity to begin with, you have peole out here who's families dont know JACk but how to be stupid as shit. They dont even KNOW what the right thing to do is.. It has always been to do dumb ass shit for generations. Thus we have 2.3 million people behind bars right now..
Are all of them dumb? Hell no..
Could some of them run shit like microsoft if microsofts business was selling dope?
Hell yes!
I have always been facinated when I was comming up by guys who were running decently large criminal orginaizations as to why they didnt do this on main street rather than backstreets, Usually it came down to they didnt have thye same opportunities. Of course I thinkm we should improve education in the nation but also I VERY much believe in giving first time felons a chance to do the right thing and giving them the training and education to do so before they get out..
Right now all they learn about is how to do more crime in general, I think there should be incentives to give them a second chance at doing the right thing .

They need to help deprogram vets after having them "kill in the name of.. " too when they get back.
How does "door gunner" translate into the working world when all is done?

The Mastermind

This Illuminati Be Illin'
ill o.g.
It's easy to say that all this killing and violence is human nature, but it isn't happening everywhere. Environmental factors come into play; education, opportunity, poverty and the influence of the media. If the media didn't influence behaviour then we wouldn't have an advertising industry.

This whole check point thing may be effective in targetting some symptoms but it isn't going to address any causes.

The USA has more people in jail than China, that's not per capita, that's just more people. Considering the difference in overall population that is staggering. If the money being spent on prisons, security, etc was put into education and communities it would have to make a difference.

As it is, prisons are now privately run, often by those same companies that create military hardware and who also have a large media interest. That creates powerful organisations with an interest in seeing prison populations increase and more behaviours being criminalised. They do not have an ineterest in the repair of neglected communities or rehabilitation.

We've got one of those prison industrial companies running refugee detention centers in Australia, the owners are a bunch of US congressmen and CIA spooks.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Now see this is a type of solution I have been talking about for a while now...
People need opportunity to begin with, you have peole out here who's families dont know JACk but how to be stupid as shit. They dont even KNOW what the right thing to do is.. It has always been to do dumb ass shit for generations. Thus we have 2.3 million people behind bars right now..
Are all of them dumb? Hell no..
Could some of them run shit like microsoft if microsofts business was selling dope?
Hell yes!
I have always been facinated when I was comming up by guys who were running decently large criminal orginaizations as to why they didnt do this on main street rather than backstreets, Usually it came down to they didnt have thye same opportunities. Of course I thinkm we should improve education in the nation but also I VERY much believe in giving first time felons a chance to do the right thing and giving them the training and education to do so before they get out..
Right now all they learn about is how to do more crime in general, I think there should be incentives to give them a second chance at doing the right thing .

They need to help deprogram vets after having them "kill in the name of.. " too when they get back.
How does "door gunner" translate into the working world when all is done?

much respect! the solution to so many problems are so incredibly simple and obvious that much of my terror is not by terrorist's which scare the sheep like a mythological demon but instead by the men and women who run this country.

The USA has more people in jail than China, that's not per capita, that's just more people.

China also has a much better educational system than in the USA. I work with a lady who has been here for 5 years and she said her son had memorized the multiplication table in the 1st grade and in the 3rd grade had three essays a week to do. They have no time at all for drugs, sex, and bullshit.. Their problem is a corrupt goverment that results in many people with master degrees and PhD's but without a job that fits their education. America has the great democratic enviroment but a terrible lack of responsibility when it comes to operation. American's seem to think that freedom requires the government to have no say so in their affairs... and sure that is fine.. but there is a degree of parenting that the goverment must take part in when their society is dividing and the poor/in-need division is suffering and in need of help. Repulican's have fucked this place up because they want no goverment in any affairs... well that shit don't work because not everyone is born into two-parent homes at nice schools and college from the jump! Democrats are considered week because they push for assistance.. Democrats have a mulish donkey icon while Republicans have a majestic elephant.. but as usual things are not what they seem.. if something is not done before these other countries realize that their goverments are not benefiting from their ancient goverments then America will be reduced to a museum and history course.. of course though I really don't care because i would just move to a better location, though fact is by then i'll be dead although if I had children they would move.

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4

You want to give criminals 40k jobs? there are good people that live a good life and and give back to society who struggle their whole life and work their fingers to the bone and you want to give criminals a 40k job? that's some bullshit right there.

Society wouldn't get better, people don't wake up one day and choose to be a criminal, any dude I know thats been on that shit started as a kid. They don't want to work, they don't want responsibilities.
They need to be given opportunity's before they go down that route, your kidding yourself if you think you can reform criminals . Career criminals can't hold down a job, they don't want to.

Fuck criminals .. Karma is a bitch...

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
^^ no , I see your point , BUT, jail doesnt actually "rehablitate" anyone..
If we arent gonna make em better people but make them worse people, then we might as well just kill them all forthe most minor infraction..

Also latest count has 2.3 million people behind bars in the US.
Jails are now an industry and THAT is where I think it os going to go scarily wrong.
Industries have lobbyists who push lawmakers to do things like make stricter laws so that they can get more people and thus make a bigger bottom line.
GREED. Ironically none of those people will spend any time behind the bars they build.

As it is, prisons are now privately run, often by those same companies that create military hardware and who also have a large media interest. That creates powerful organisations with an interest in seeing prison populations increase and more behaviours being criminalised. They do not have an ineterest in the repair of neglected communities or rehabilitation.

We've got one of those prison industrial companies running refugee detention centers in Australia, the owners are a bunch of US congressmen and CIA spooks.

haha I just read this after typing my comment! Right on!

of course though I really don't care because i would just move to a better location, though fact is by then i'll be dead although if I had children they would move.

lol you cant move when the dollar isnt worth shit.. How do you pick up and move when suddenly you have nothing, if your going to move you better do it now, because the dollar is sinking like a stone in the sea..
Suddenly store owners arent trying to pass off Canadian money on you anymore..Notice that?

members online