The Dark side has claimed another

Opera Populare

Graduate Of The Game
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Juss made the switch from FL to reason. Those who remember this post probably thought I never would but hey i'm here now.

Well i've got some question I need some help with
1.What do u guys use for sampling? NN-XT or Redrum. Do you find either one of them easier?

I'm so used to using time stretch in fl I'm kinda off with NN-XT. What I did yesterday was load up all my samples in nn-xt set the key range for each sample and used the semitones dial to set the pitch. Is there an easier way for this. It's kind of hard laying down the samples and then finding the tempo to match them and having em in time or on beat wit out having to go to the sequencer and arrange everything

2.I do my chops in audition and then load them into NN-XT I'm still getting used to recycle the whole beats and bars thing messes me up. Does putting in the tempo really make a difference? because most of the time if not all of the time I do no kno the original tracks bpm

3.When sampling in redrum or nnxt is there a cut off feature like on fl or an mpc or do i have to take care of things like that when chopping i.e. making my samples small enough to do that

I'm pretty straight when usin synth sounds I just make a skeleton drum track and start composing over the drums. But the main reason I started using reason is so I can start composing over my samples. I think classic posted something a while back about tuning samples I'm going to have to find that and study it.

Side questions

What do u guys have set up as your default rack? Do you add eq's and or compressors to bring the most out of your tracks before they heit the audio out dock at the top or do u do this all after completing the song?

I'll probably have some more questions later on. Sorry for the rant just a lil overwhelemed cuz ive got a deadline to fill for a beat cd for an artist im workin wit in brooklyn and i just want to get these tracks finished up so I can meet the deadline.

As usual good lookin out illmuzik for helpin me to create

EZ

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
man you got a lotta questions. i will answer some then come back later for the rest in a few I just got home from work.

For setting your sample chops it doens't matter if you are using DR rex or NNXT when you load a rex file you can set the sampler to a polophony to 1 and raise to release all the way up so it plays the entire sample and cuts the other one off.

Putting the correct BPM and cutting your loop right in recycle is very imporant if you want to loop. Other than that its up to you, just remember if you don't want any artifacts to turn the automatic stretch down to 0. It defaults to 40.

I use Redrum for drums and either a NNXT or Dr rex for samples depending on how complex the chops are gonna be.

For default I just have a mixer with a multiband compressor, with a scream4, reverb, and a delay in the rack for sends. For samples I have combinator patches set up with routeing already made for my samples like having all the effects I like to use already in custom made patch.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
i highly recommend getting really familiar with recycle. it makes playing chopped loops so much easier...
as far as beats and bars...i agree, if you want the sample to actually loop, you need to know how many bars (it figures out the tempo by itself). just count how many times you go back to a one count (1-2-3-4-) and thats how many bars you type in. if you have the left and right locators at the right points, it figures out the tempo.

if you're just playing chops of the sample, its less crucial...i usually just type what i think it is, load it up, set a tempo i want, and then play the chops and adjust pitch accordingly.

hope this helps.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
i only want to answer one lol:
3.When sampling in redrum or nnxt is there a cut off feature like on fl or an mpc or do i have to take care of things like that when chopping i.e. making my samples small enough to do that

Redrum has it its a switch that looks like _|-|_ wow thats a horrible example one has a peak like a triangle and the other is square its to the right of the Length knob in each track on redrum the square makes it cut of when you let go of the key and the peak will let the sample play all the way.

S

SuicideOption

Nearly 2 years later and still a good post. Much nedeed info.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
indeed REASON RULES ALL