The Future of Fan Engagement (Radio Segment)

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
I started expanding out into radio roughly 2 years ago and found a permanent home with a few college and internet radio stations based in the US. This segment is from my Hip Hop Bytes segment on the Nanci O Radio Show. It airs on WXYC -89.3 FM Chapel Hill, NC 10,000 listeners, WSOUF -Columbia, SC 5,000 listeners, and WXDU 88.7 FM Durham, NC 8,000 listeners.

The topic I'm discussing this week is: The Future of Fan Engagement. The subject and content centers around a rap/rock independent band named Shinobi Ninja. They created an iPhone app that is a combination of video game, video and music player in order to promote their new EP Shinobi Ninja Attacks. The app gives the user bonus tracks as you advance throughout the game and gives you bonus music if you attend their shows. How do they know if you've attended a show. The app uses GPS technology to locate you through your Cell phone. There are new ways to connect to fans and its time for artists and producers to take advantage of them.

How are you using technology to reach your fanbase?

The segment can be found on the Nanci O Radio Show website:

http://bit.ly/cI4LjV

*Post your questions and comments in the forum below and I'll add additional info and respond.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
wow thats dope promo, what did they go through to even begin to set that up?

Being called Shinobi Ninja sort of opens the opportunity for a version of the classic game.
But getting someone to program that for you could be hard, I bet their advertising strategy has cost a bit.
Very original ideas trying to make the most of new technology though.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Being called Shinobi Ninja sort of opens the opportunity for a version of the classic game.
But getting someone to program that for you could be hard, I bet their advertising strategy has cost a bit.
Very original ideas trying to make the most of new technology though.

They took it beyond associating themselves with the classic "Shinobi" game, they went and created their own, have it available on the iPhone, and are using it to push new music to fans.

The hardest part of doing anything is simply asking the right question. The reason I posted this on Illmuzik is because they are doing a lot of this themselves. Their manager hooked up with the gaming company and helped them co-design the iPhone app and the rest is history.
There's going to be a money investment in any musical project you put out - why not look into the most innovative and effective ways to do it?

My second point is: the company that designed the game isn't hidden off in a cave somewhere - its public knowledge. Who from Illmuzik is going to find a way to contact the company and ask them how they can help promote their next release?

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
wow thats dope promo, what did they go through to even begin to set that up?

These opportunities can come from anywhere. If you're doing shows and attending industry events, you'll bump into all types of people. The key is: having your material ready so that
you can take advantage of new opportunities.

Keep in mind that almost every IT consulting company has to look into mobile strategies for their business and some have turned a large part of their business into designing apps for smartphones. If a Developer/Coder just so happened to be a music fan, they could design an app for minimal cost. Just a thought.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Riight! Rome was just a thought lol Thanks again!!

members online