The Game, Timbaland, Sued Over 'Put You On The Game'

SlickVikNewman

Hip Hop Super Villian
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Rapper The Game, Interscope and Aftermath Entertainment are among the defendants in a new copyright infringement lawsuit over an illegal sample on The Game's platinum-selling 2005 debut album The Documentary.

Saregama India filed the lawsuit in Manhattan Federal Court, claiming the song "Put You on the Game" violated copyrights owned by the Indian-based firm, which was formerly The Gramophone Company of India, one of India’s largest recording companies.

Through it's lineage with The Gramophone Company of India, Saregama is also one of the oldest recording company's in India and owns almost 50% of all the music ever recorded in the country.

"Put You on the Game" was produced by hit producer Timbaland, who is featured on the song and is also named in the lawsuit, along with co-producer Nate "Danjahandz" Hills.

Also named are Universal Music Group, Aftermath Entertainment, G-Unit Records, Czar Entertainment, Timbaland's Virginia Beach Music and The Game's Black Wall Street imprint.

"Put You on the Game" was the fourth official single released from The Documentary.

Saregama India seeks an undisclosed amount.

This is not the first time Saregama India has sued Universal Music Group.

In 2002, Saregama filed a $500 million dollar lawsuit against UMG, Interscope and Dre's Aftermath Entertainment.

In that lawsuit, Saregama accused hit producer/rapper DJ Quik of illegally sampling the song "Thoda Resham Lagta Hai," by Lata Mangeshkar on Truth Hurt's hit record "Addictive" which featured pioneering rapper Rakim.

The lawsuit was settled for an undisclosed amount.

O

open mind

bizznez as usual another one got caught.if u wanna sample sample just dont let u get caught DIG DEEPER!
no risk no fun.

the more lazier u r with the sample (loopin some bars) the more chances are higher to give away some paper for the rights.

USE THE SAMPLE IN A WAY THAT NOBODY CAN RECOGNIZE IT and u should be save.

They have started putting the responsibility for sample clearance in the hands of the producer, labels I have spoken too lately dont seem too willing to clear samples these days, to the point that they only accept composed music. Its just another front that the powers that be are using to shut down hiphop, and the voice it gives to those that suffer in silence, hence the reason they are shutting it down. Hiphop as Ive said many times before aint about the money, its about the message that it puts out, and the banging beats that get people having a good time. Nowadays the clubs seem to be full of people trying to look the hardest, acting up to a false idea of what it means to be a man/woman, even the girls are getting in gangs and selling drugs and getting involved in street robbery. How can you save hiphop when all the fronts are being used to shut the music/voice down. And also the vocabularies of the kids on the come up is terrible, how can you be an mc with no vocabulary? And as for the timbo lawsuit, Timbo does it again. You would think that a person with his bank balance would just clear shit. Maybe hes tight and thinks he can get away with it, obviously hes wrong.

O

open mind

whos next? kanye? yo kanye u betta run with your suitcase full of money to mechhhhhhhhhhico. :biggrin2:

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I think the problem is that these money hungry labels that can afford to pay these sampling fee's are trying to get away with not giving these people a dime. It's just str8 up greed on the labels part and now these publishers are getting feed the fuck up with getting rip'd off. Look at the highend sampling fee...say it's 8 cents per copy. Unless my math sucks that's only 80G's for a million copeis when the album might bring (depending on the price) 8 to 17 million! The only time they sue for all your publishing is when you drop shit and don't pay them shit. They go after it all and settle for what the judge gives them.

I agree with Relic that this is one of the main reasons southern hip hop is getting to the money. These greedy ass labels have cut yet another intity out of pie which doesn't transfer to the artist...trust and believe that. The labels are killing hip hop. They don't give a damn that hip hop was given birth by sampling. They're only out for the money not the art! They could buy out alot of these publishing companies and not have to pay out shit. Greedy bastards!

( Most hip hip artist right now aren't coming no where close to a million copies sold, hip hop numbers are terrible but my personal opinion is that it opens the door for independent artists and new artist because they won't be held to the standard of having to go platinum in order to be considered successful )

I heard some of these rappers smoke POT!!
What is this world comming to????

Pot??? Hang the lot of em!!!!!
While they do that Im gonna get stoned, and bang out a new track.

Yeah I agree, Drama. Thats pretty much how I sum up the labels myself. They are the ones putting stuff out, and greed has taken over from the art.

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
its like this you sample you gotta pay for it... if you doing a mixtape project then wateva but you doing some major ish thats gonna be sold in stores and online and its all over the world yea fam clear the sample... or it might just come back and hit u in the end

even if u come at them correct wit good intentions they still will charge a price ur money is not long enough for.

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm looking at the bright side. The current state of things has motivated to learn music theory and chord piano.

I also really chop any samples I do use. Instead of looking for ill loops, I'm looking for small sections that include a combination of different instruments. If I take those sections and chop it into a note then spread it across my midi controller I essentially created my own instrument... and there is no way anyone could indentify the sample.

Hopefully, this galvanizes the hip hop community to come to the understanding that...we don't need labels.

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
bizznez as usual another one got caught.if u wanna sample sample just dont let u get caught DIG DEEPER!
no risk no fun.

the more lazier u r with the sample (loopin some bars) the more chances are higher to give away some paper for the rights.

USE THE SAMPLE IN A WAY THAT NOBODY CAN RECOGNIZE IT and u should be save.

Co-sign. mofo's are getting lazy.

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It's pretty dumb to not clear a sample on a project as big as The Game's first album. There's a couple law firms that are buying the rights to music for the sole purpose of being able to turn around and so artists for sampling.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I'm looking at the bright side. The current state of things has motivated to learn music theory and chord piano.

I also really chop any samples I do use. Instead of looking for ill loops, I'm looking for small sections that include a combination of different instruments. If I take those sections and chop it into a note then spread it across my midi controller I essentially created my own instrument... and there is no way anyone could indentify the sample.

Hopefully, this galvanizes the hip hop community to come to the understanding that...we don't need labels.

Mostly thats what I do too..

members online