the last sample...

J-Beats

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
ayo im putting the samples down and going 100% original. more flexibility and credibility you feel me.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ayo im putting the samples down and going 100% original. more flexibility and credibility you feel me.

you'll be glad you did in the long run, believe me. and if you ever blow up now you can at least get your proper publishing

Voo

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
why don't you zip up your sample folders - and email me the rapidshare addy then?

O

open mind

yeah good idea... post your samples! share it hehehehe

robb_lowe

Akai Till I Die...
ill o.g.
That's good in a way. It will open a whole new door for you. It's good to know how to do both. Shows versatility. It will help you in the long run. It's good not to "pigeon hole" yourself. Maybe you should mix sampling and composing together. I wouldn't just give up sampling to gain publishing. Good luck on that venture my dude. (Be easy)

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
Booo Go Samples!!!!

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
if you are choosing it because thats where you feel it will bring out the best in you then go for it, if you are doing it from a money point of view, put your gear down and sale it.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73

Hip Hop was founded on sampling so unless you're changing to a diff't style of music you won't be true to the form. I wouldn't abandon it.....just explore other styles. Good luck though. ONE!

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
If all you were doing was sampling ... then u gotta start getting into composing to avoid being limited by anything.

but no need to stop sampling completely. I don't even consider myself a sampler, I consider myself a composer, but for the past year I've been trying to do more sampling to develop that craft.. but Composing is always there, and now Sampling is there too.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
"It's another thing entirely to sample something, put it on Myspace and say, “hey, check this out.” You're not making any money on that, and people get sued for it."

This scared me.... I still sample but I am getting away from it...

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
don't take just comment outta context. if you have no source of real income nobody is gonna sue you its not worth it if they can't pull out a decent amount of money.

Symphonic

Custom User Title
ill o.g.
i stepped over from composing to sampling, could get a better sound quicker. I thought about doing some compositions again but it takes a lot of time to develope my skills on composing and entire track i think.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
Hip Hop was founded on sampling so unless you're changing to a diff't style of music you won't be true to the form. I wouldn't abandon it.....just explore other styles. Good luck though. ONE!

not to argue or nothing but actual sampling came after session musicians and simple but hard ass drum and keyboard tunes. that being said, i do both, but prefer sampling:D.
now if i knew how to play real instruments, like piano, guitar, etc i'd sample myself

DJ Udo

Beatmaker
ill o.g.

I agree... I went thought a sample-less phase and it really helped me develop some new skill, but when I started using them again, it was like coming back home after a trip... It made me better at blending the two together... You've gotta do what sounds best.

If you accidentally stumble across a sick-azz sample, your not gonna use it or flip it?

I used to be strictly a composer before I became a member of ill, it was then that I realised that sampling is a key element in hiphop. I now combine both and think my music sounds a lot better for it. Even if I just use a sample to get the notes then compose to it and maybe even take the sample out altogether afterwards. I would highly recommend not dropping the samples but to be more creative with them. It aint till you blow up that you will need to worry about anything like sample clearance, like it was said before, if you aint got no money whos going to sue you? Or on the next level you can compose a loop then chop it up like its a sample. I understand that to get a publishing deal you need to compose your music and clear all samples before publishing, if that is the route you wish to go down then good luck.
Composition on its own can be very awkward, as you really need to know the best sounds that your software/hardware provides and know how to eq and compress and add delays and other fx to tune the stock sounds to sound hotter. With out that the tracks can sound very midi like. And besides when it comes to drum hits the best ones are got by sampling them.
Dont put the samples away, you are just limiting your production by doing so.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I'm a samplist from day one, however the right synths and vsti's can create some funk if you know what you're doing.
I actually find the two kind of similar, with sampling, you dig through vinyl until you find a sound that catches your ear, then you sample, chop, and play it back. With synths, you go through a few hundred presets until you find the sound you like, tweak it, and play it back.
The no lawsuits and full publishing from synth based production is a good thing if you're trying to feed your family off of this music...
At the same time, it would be nice if the government would have a law that you can sample 2.5 seconds or less per song per record, as long as it was over twenty years old or some shit like that...