the music you produce

• beat this! voting starts in...

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
for someone to say fuck r&b and anyone who sings it, shows that they dont have a clue what hip hop is about. As a producer/musician.....i make MUSIC, the base of my music is hip hop, but if i could find a dope vocalist to sing over it than i wouldnt hesitate.The site says Taking Hip Hop Production to the next level, now how can you take something to the next level if you put limits or boundries on it. Im sure every producer that samples in here takes some peices from old r&b tracks, or alternative, or even jazz!!! and What about Lauryn Hill, she put both rap and r&b in her album and that shit was dope......so before anyone goes off and says "fuck r&B" check your roots...

ONE1

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
ViCeVerSE said:
for someone to say fuck r&b and anyone who sings it, shows that they dont have a clue what hip hop is about. As a producer/musician.....i make MUSIC, the base of my music is hip hop, but if i could find a dope vocalist to sing over it than i wouldnt hesitate.The site says Taking Hip Hop Production to the next level, now how can you take something to the next level if you put limits or boundries on it. Im sure every producer that samples in here takes some peices from old r&b tracks, or alternative, or even jazz!!! and What about Lauryn Hill, she put both rap and r&b in her album and that shit was dope......so before anyone goes off and says "fuck r&B" check your roots...
ONE1

Very well said i couldent have put it better my self

Bascially if u think along those lines fuck R&B your are a big ass hypocrite

class...

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
It's kinda strange... people are arguing about not talking about RnB as if it would ruin Illmuzik or something... If people wanna talk about it, I really dont see the problem. Since most people here are strictly hiphop producers (I mean MOST PEOPLE here dont do RnB beats)... we'll still talk about hiphop regardless.

Now for the original topic...

Actually, I dont really like RnB for the same reasons a lot of others said. Still, I'll listen to it from time to time, cuz, generally, their beats are made by hiphop producers, like us. For instance, that new video by New Edition, I like the beat, even if I dont like the lyrics at all. And there's a ton of examples like that.

I am trying to make some RnB beats, but, damn it hard... as Class said, you cant really improvise. you gotta know where you're going! I mean, there is a market for RnB. A huge market! And WE hiphop producers are the ones who are sollicited. So basically, banning RnB from your catalog is just bad for yourself...

gram green

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i like to hate on r&b... really... but i guess where i differ from all yall is in my terminology... i dont consider anything i like r&b, i would consider it soul (d'angelo, raphael sadiq, erykah badu, etc) i just cant call them r&b because of the GARBAGE that is r&b today... and i aint talkin bout the old shit from back in the day.. shit done changed.... whatever r&b is today aint what it used to be... and i dont know any other way to categorize all the bullshit that im sure damn near everyone on here hates... i call it r&b ... i get the impression from other cats that say FUCK R&B they mean the same thing... i dont think they're saying FUCK CLASSIC R&B JOITNZ THAT ARE SAMPLED ALL THE TIME ... i think they mean fuck the commercial garbage that r&b has become... cuz thats what i think... FUCK THAT SHIT... and for me personally i cant fuckin stand the r&b crossover joint with a rapper on it... it drives me fuckin crazy... damn when will it end... there was a time when that shit wasnt cool to do, nowadayz its the studio formula.. every muffucca got to have a rap/r&b joint where someones rappin with a R&B singin chorus... anyways yo classic i feel what you were sayin and the peeps you listed... i just dont (cant) consider them r&B... wouldnt most of them cats be considered soul ?

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
gram green said:
yo classic i feel what you were sayin and the peeps you listed... i just dont (cant) consider them r&B... wouldnt most of them cats be considered soul ?
yeah i agree, i couldn't consider Anthony Hamilton, and Bilal in the same category as Mario and Usher. But then again they put Snoop Dogg and PDiddy in the same category as Nas and Mos Def, so if we seperate R&B and Soul than we should seperate HipHop and Rap music.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Naw man its all R&B

neo soul is just a subgenenre of R&B just like Westcoast rap is a subgernre of hip hop as a whole.

That was the whole point of my argument, u have to be specfic. There are some aspects of R&B i hate just as much as u do. But i cant make a generalzation of an entire genre of music just off a couple bad examples

This is true espically for us as hip hop producers. We should know better since Hip hop is sterotyped by the media all the time.

class...

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I like 70's soul/blaxplotiation becasue it had varied content and dealt with more topics then just "getting ur freak on". Of course there is nothing wrong with getting down but i dont wanna hear no r&b bitch sing about it.

70's soul dealt with all sorts of topics including social issues and featured innovative production.

Like I can bump Marvin Gaye - Whats going on
Roy Ayers - Hes comming

The modern r&b often features beats that hip hop artists have already made, and the content matter is just as limited as jiggy pop.

so in summary i dont like music that has 1 dimensional subject matter, r&b is aceptable if ur about to bone a chick otherwise that shit is gay.

like I said i like slum village, the got a nice vibe and thats as close to rnb music as I will go, all that neo soul is just copying shit jay dee already did and none of them cats is fucking with j.

and the dudes that r on j-dilla's level like the soul aquarians and kev brown i like too.

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
JPeg said:
The modern r&b often features beats that hip hop artists have already made, and the content matter is just as limited as jiggy pop.

so in summary i dont like music that has 1 dimensional subject matter, r&b is aceptable if ur about to bone a chick otherwise that shit is gay
I think that basically describes all radio music at this time....."1 dimensional"........whether its hip hop or R&B. I don't think its "gay" its just directed more towards females, thats why it gets them in the "mood" cause most r&b talks about love and relationships, and more ladies are interested in that....

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ViCeVerSE said:
I think that basically describes all radio music at this time....."1 dimensional"........whether its hip hop or R&B. I don't think its "gay" its just directed more towards females, thats why it gets them in the "mood" cause most r&b talks about love and relationships, and more ladies are interested in that....

I agree which is why I dont listen to radio music unless im in a club, and I dont listen to r&b unless a chick wants a rub.

lol

juzblazwun

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I love Hip Hop always have. I love R&B, but it ain't what it used to be. I understand that since most of the artist are young, Hip Hop is incorperated in to most of the R&B, but R&B doesn't sound like R&B anymore.
Give the 60 to late 80's and I'm cool. But that shit of today, most of it straight sucks. After the 1st album you generally never hear from them again.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:
no, what matters is wether or not it is any good.

okay, my bad, I should've said "what matters to me...".

Djeeeeeezzzz

and what's good is in most cases personal preference or you're the industry type of copycat trying to make them familiar productions.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Kev Brown

JPeg said:
and the dudes that r on j-dilla's level like the soul aquarians and kev brown i like too.

Kev is the next big producer coming out of DC next to Rich Harrison (oh and me..LOL), that is my homie, I never worked with him but I have the lo budget crew CD and it's got the dopest beats ..... I mean HIP HOP beats...I mean REAL Tru Skool Hip HOP.....he did some track's on Jazzy Jeff's last album and a local MC CY Youngs tracks http://www.cyyoungmusic.com/ I dunno how many of you even heard of CY, he is the tru sense of an MC(He is actually from Queens NY originally) if you have seen him live I got to catch him with a live hip hop band a few years back and he Reminds me soooo much of Busta..not his flow though....but he said he would be interested in getting some beats from me to use...I was like whaaaat hell yeah....anyhow it's good to hear that over in London they know about Kev...

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
Krzy K. said:
I think R & B is crucial in life, what other genre goes well with sex.

as a dirty sick mofo i will say shit like cradle of filth goes well with sex.

PRIZM

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
i love producing everything from jazz to funk to soul to pop to rap... making beats is fun...