The Official Sample Cds Thread (Recommendations)

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
i have seen lots of questions about worthy sample cds, so i decided to open a new thread with my personal recommendations.
let's start:

1. International Beatjackers - The beats, the whole beats and nothing but the beats: 2 cds (cdda) packed with nothing but beats. whole lot of flavors, but everything comes down to hip-hop.

2. E-Lab Vinylistics: three volumes with nothing but beats. all the beats have that special vinyl feeling. i recommend this package to those who want to slice\cut\abuse breakbeats.

3. BIG FISH AUDIO - The Loopzilla Series (vol. 1, vol. 2, vol. 3 & Loopzilla Underground): a great collection! has everything from beats to melodies and stabs. if you buy one complete series, make sure it's this one.

4. EAST WEST - Public Enemy - Welcome To The Sampledome: the official public enemy sample cd. has a whole lot of loops and samples. recommended to those who want to re-create the old school vibe.

5. e-LAB - Smokers Delight: a brand new 3-cd package dedicated to jazzy hip hop.
has lots of great material, with an accent on atmospheric and lush samples\loops.

this list is just the tip of the iceberg. there is a numerous number of sample cds out there. if you want any specific info about a cd, you are more than welcome to ask.

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Pro Samples Nu Hip-hop and R&B-The drum kits on here are amazing if you are going for that club type feel. Reminds me of some timbaland kits, with other cool effects and loops. They also have a volume two, I haven't copped it yet, but heard the demo, it's nice!

Also, modernbeats.com has a free drum kit, its pretty nice too!

C

Copenhagen

I don't like loop sample CD's, thats somehow cheating to me. I would rather go with some of the Akai CD's, Best Service, Time+Space, Spectrasonics, Ueberschall etc with single sounds, construction kits, one shots etc.

sent_inc

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 15
you can't knock the hustler

When I first started producing i knocked sample cds until I witness a well known producer using sample cds (u're my man I won't blow up your spot) and to top it off i found out that those guys who make the sample cds usually get signed to big labels to produce sounds or loops strictly for the label. In regards to the cheating comment. This is not a game, you do whatever u have to do to survive. Just knowing how to put the pieces together is a marketable skill alone and not just in producing but in life!!!!!!!!!!!!

C

Copenhagen

Originally posted by Holmzini
why would u pay money for a sample cd?... just either sample the drum urself or tweak your current drum kits.. there mad shit for free on the net if u look hard enough..

I downloaded a lot of the stuff from the net when I started out and, like you, thought that all these sounds were good enough etc, but after having bought proper drums I can hear the difference. I still tweak and layer my drums but my outcome has become better after that the original source I tweaked and layered became better. Also, I hear many people complimenting the sounds of my drums, which they didn't do previously. They may just have started to be kind, but I take it as a sign ;)

Originally posted by sent_inc
In regards to the cheating comment. This is not a game, you do whatever u have to do to survive. Just knowing how to put the pieces together is a marketable skill alone and not just in producing but in life!!!!!!!!!!!!

If some people get by by just arranging loops from sample CD's, that's fine, but I will never respect them as much as people who arrange/tweak/layer their own drums and arrange their own melodies and the creativity and originality that went into it.

sent_inc

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey Copenhagen, i think you will be very surprise if you ever found out out how much creativity and originality the industry's producer puts into their work. I take nothing away from these guys they work very, very hard. I think the real talent is the way people market themselves. This site proves that everyone can make beats. I listen to guys on this site thats sound better than the producer who "made it". I think producer need to focus on the business aspect as much as the producing of the beats. I good business mind will sell a wack beat. A hot beat rarely sell themselves. Don't be fooled

C

Copenhagen

Sent inc, I'm not fooled (I am aware of this, otherwise I wouldn't speak on it) and I won't disagree with your point, marketing talent is certainly needed to make it, but my point is just that it's not musical talent, at least in my book.
Just rearraging loops is like heating a microwave dinner and taking the props for making the dish yourself. If some people are fine with that, that's ok with me, I just don't have the concious to call it mine and somehow feel that it's cheating. If people chop everything and make something completely different or if they've spent time finding the perfect sample and just make it fit tight to their own drum pattern, then it's another conversation... ;)

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
it's all about how you can alter those loops\sounds.
i see nothing wrong with using complete loops from sample cds. if it's good - why not?
if you sample from a record, or from a cd - it doesn't matter. what matters is the final result. i ain't a purist, i look for sounds.
if it's good, i'll use it. no matter where i got it from.

sent_inc

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Copenhagen, I know u cooked a TV dinner in the microwave for a fine young lady and passed it off as your own.

C

Copenhagen

Sent Inc, sure I have...but that doesn't make me a chef with cooking talents... ;)

members online