The Power Of Samples

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Wow, I'm an idiot man. When I first started making beats, I thought using samples were whack because it isn't your own piece of work, but now I'm looking beyond that. My friend gave me a CD with a whole bunch of samples like a month ago but never popped it into my computer until now. Been messing with them for like 20 minutes and wow, I'm seriously amazed at what I've been hiding myself from because most of the samples were originally recorded live and it's hard to get that feeling with just playing a melody on the keyboard. And then when you combine other dope samples together, they make a beautiful piece of art, for real. Thank God for showing me this today, but I still can't get this MPD16 to assign audio data to each pad so I can have more fun with the drums and bang em out a lot harder.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I know what your sayin Seoul. While using software I never thought using samples were fun. in fact while using software I didn't think it was much fun in general. on the other hand, the 1000k really opened my eyes to samples. I chopped my first two records 3 days ago and truly understand the power of the sample!!

hpnotiq

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yea man im in the same boat i just started using records etc and its defiantly dope i think knowing, understanding and utilizing every aspect wether it be keyboard, sampling ect is good for producing in general. Even Kanye was sayin that "samples are so much bigger than just me" (talking from ye's veiw), such as the Diamonds record or "hard knock life" off jay zs vol two, he mnetioned.

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
Yayo and when you can Make Hot Sampled + Composed Beats You Really Ballin then the Best is When you can Combine the 2 and Make hot tracks IMO thats the Hardest way for me 2 make a Beat but I like 2 challenge myself by doin that

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i don't wanna sound like an idiot. but this thread is sooo dumb. why even start a thread about sampling being good?

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Vince said:
i don't wanna sound like an idiot. but this thread is sooo dumb. why even start a thread about sampling being good?

I dont thin its stupid, ive just recently unlocked the power of sampling(and combining it with composition)

Before then i would stay away from it casue i felt it was limiting. In certain aspects i still think its limiting but when you use it right it can be dope
I talk bout it in detail here...
https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10927

PrOLifiK

Wax Fondling Since 420
ill o.g.
I actually used to be a strictly sample based producer until I found out about using the keyboard haha. Both techniques are good if done correctly

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
word join the darkside, i never trusted people that didnt trust sampling, if i had one i would thrust my lightsaber through them...
sampling is like a slaughterhouse, preying on victims.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
glad you have come to your senses and decided to join the winning team lol

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
what I notice is majority of people that dont sample or never sampled just started getting into hip hop production within like the past 3-5 years

both sampled and keyboard beats are dope if done with some skill

or on the other hand they started out sampling back in the day and then moved into doing original composition

it also depends on where u from most southern and west cats favor keyboard beats because of the bass music roots