The Power Of Samples

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
I didnt like it at first either.....but now...I go record shopping everyweekend...trying to sharpen my skills...digging and digging and digging....I love it. I listen to cats like Just Blaze and see how he has mastered it. Shit is exciting, but like Class said, it is limited. I still compose 80% my shit anyway. I would bang out a joint from scratch anyday. Its all you and your vision. Over 90% of hip-hop is sampling anyway....cant deny that. But if you want to be one of the best producers, you got to come from every angle. Like that cat Jermaine Dupri, who has been all over the radio and videos these last few months, with R&B joints (Mariah Carey), to sampling (Bow Wow, Avant), to just composing (Nelly)...and so more shit....dude really got back on the grind.

And everybody has there own taste and style....thats what make HIP HOP so diverse...styles and styles colliding to make one sound and one culture. Peace.:headbang2

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Equelizer said:
I didnt like it at first either.....but now...I go record shopping everyweekend...trying to sharpen my skills...digging and digging and digging....I love it. I listen to cats like Just Blaze and see how he has mastered it. Shit is exciting, but like Class said, it is limited. I still compose 80% my shit anyway. I would bang out a joint from scratch anyday. Its all you and your vision. Over 90% of hip-hop is sampling anyway....cant deny that. But if you want to be one of the best producers, you got to come from every angle. Like that cat Jermaine Dupri, who has been all over the radio and videos these last few months, with R&B joints (Mariah Carey), to sampling (Bow Wow, Avant), to just composing (Nelly)...and so more shit....dude really got back on the grind.

And everybody has there own taste and style....thats what make HIP HOP so diverse...styles and styles colliding to make one sound and one culture. Peace.:headbang2

thing is JD has written or produced over 200 hits in his career, but not many people consider him great at least not in the Hip Hop community

at least thats how it was potrayed in Scratch Magazine

then I started thinking and was like damn he really aint on the top of my list and his name rarely comes up when great producers are being discussed

I wonder why.........hmmmmmmmmmm

P.S. I dont ever feel limited when I sample

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
FistFulloDollaz said:
then I started thinking and was like damn he really aint on the top of my list and his name rarely comes up when great producers are being discussed

I wonder why.........hmmmmmmmmmm

Why? because he dont sample? Man please, there are alot of great producers out there that dont sample. They name don't have to be mention in everybody top ten producers. Alot cats go off of what other nigga say anyway. If fucking Jay-Z said Eminem was the hottest producer he ever worked with, then alot cats will go on to say Eminem is the best producer out. Then they will go on to say he did alot of joints for Dre. Now Dre...got a ghost producer...see the cycle.

JD is a great producer, thats hands down, his rep sheet fell a couple of years behind Dre. JD been doing this shit since the early 90's. Of course, he is not mentioned in everybody's top ten. He and alot of other great non-sampling producers.:argue:

T

The Bastard

SoChi said:
Nah man Wu Tang has platinum albums to their credit, you can't move a million plus being regional. I ain't from NY and I was a fan of the early Wu records. Method Man has been in movies, RZA scored Kill Bill, regional artists don't do that. They definitely have a greater following in the north, but people all over know who they are, they've heard C.R.E.A.M. Most people in Chicago never heard of UGK prior to Big Pimpin', and 8Ball and MJG are only slightly more known up here, but probably the biggest song they were apart of up here until "Don't want Drama" was 'Sho Nuff with Tela.

I respect non-sampled music, but sampling has most definitely had the grearest influence on the genre. Even those artists you pointed to as examples of classic non-samplers have sampled, like Outkast.
I FEEL THE SAME WAY

ill o.g.
Equelizer said:
Why? because he dont sample? Man please, there are alot of great producers out there that dont sample. They name don't have to be mention in everybody top ten producers. Alot cats go off of what other nigga say anyway. If fucking Jay-Z said Eminem was the hottest producer he ever worked with, then alot cats will go on to say Eminem is the best producer out. Then they will go on to say he did alot of joints for Dre. Now Dre...got a ghost producer...see the cycle.

JD is a great producer, thats hands down, his rep sheet fell a couple of years behind Dre. JD been doing this shit since the early 90's. Of course, he is not mentioned in everybody's top ten. He and alot of other great non-sampling producers.:argue:

JD does sample, or at least he interpolates (replays the sample)

I dont give a fuck what other people saying or agreeing wit I always say what I'm gon say regardless

........and if most non sample producers arent mentioned in great producer lists that tells you something

thats the people speaking, nobody got a gun to anyones head saying u better like these cats more

I think JD is dope personally but I was just saying

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
FistFulloDollaz said:
........and if most non sample producers arent mentioned in great producer lists that tells you something

thats the people speaking

99% of all lists are the same....Kanye, Just Blaze, Premier, etc........

That aint the people speaking thats the people following.....

Those cats are mentioned because they know how to flip a sample and every nappyhead kid in america went and got fruity loops or a MPC trying to imitate cause they like those chimpmunk sounds. Now they are the best, and why, because they share the same craft of making music.

I am not saying those cats are not great, I am simply saying that there are some cats out there that dont sample and over half the time, they shit sound better than a sampled beat. EX. J. R. Rotem and Scott Stortch....both composers.

ill o.g.
Equelizer said:

That aint the people speaking thats the people following.....

Those cats are mentioned because they know how to flip a sample and every nappyhead kid in america went and got fruity loops or a MPC trying to imitate cause they like those chimpmunk sounds. Now they are the best, and why, because they share the same craft of making music.

I am not saying those cats are not great, I am simply saying that there are some cats out there that dont sample and over half the time, they shit sound better than a sampled beat. EX. J. R. Rotem and Scott Stortch....both composers.

people could just as easily follow the people that have lists with all composers as their favorite

its a lot of nappyhead kids and suburbanites that went and bought Tritons, Motifs, Fruity Loops, MPCs and a gang of other sound modules trying to imitate the Neptunes, Storch, Dre, Quick, Lil Jon, Timbaland (my fav. composer by the way)

so really that goes both ways

T

The Bastard

Equelizer said:

for real? lol aright

ill o.g.
I ain´t touchin´ the subject wich is better but I just got to say that a composer can be someone who only works with samples too. If you take one chord over here, three notes there, two chords there and two notes from here and put it together, you are also a producer. Just had to say it.

members online