The problem with the music streaming boom

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.

It's about the artists not getting a big enough piece of the money pie, but what stood out to me was this part:

...which showed that the top 1% of artists account for 80% of all streams, and that 10% account for 98% of all listening by fans.

And of the most popular tracks, big music companies own the rights to three times as many among the top 10% as those owned by independent labels. In any given week, nine of the top 10 selling songs globally – the streaming cash cows – are owned by one of the three big music companies.

This is a big problem and has been for many years. Too many music fans don't know about the smaller artists that often times have way better music than the bigger artists. It's a shame but it's business.

But to see everyone listening to all these big artists on streaming platforms - the way I see it is fans are on the internet. Which means they have access to any artist they want. So why aren't they looking for the lesser known artists? Who knows. Lazy, don't know, don't care, etc.

I guess the masses will just eat up whatever the industry feeds them and not question this.

@2GooD Productions Yes, I know my last line can equally be used to talk about the government but let's not go there! LOL.

Not Having It No Way GIF by No Vacation

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
But to see everyone listening to all these big artists on streaming platforms - the way I see it is fans are on the internet. Which means they have access to any artist they want. So why aren't they looking for the lesser known artists? Who knows. Lazy, don't know, don't care, etc.

Platforms get hacked, or atleast the accounts on it, to generate streaming time for said big artists. Therefore ppl open up, for example, Spotify and their "recommended" stuff is based on those hacked streams, which most of ppl arent even aware of.

I think even searching algorithms get kinda manipulated so when you re looking for stuff like "new artists" or shit you still get the big ones to pop up...so yeah. Its all rigged.

This is a big problem and has been for many years. Too many music fans don't know about the smaller artists that often times have way better music than the bigger artists. It's a shame but it's business.

If you dont know the names of the new artists, how do you hunt them down?
This is another thing that often comes up at the studio, and is also why promotions budgets are very large. People will not search you out if they have never heard of you, for them to hear of you, you need a promotion campaign or a tour opening up for a bigger artist.

Human beings are strange creatures when it comes to new trends, they need at least one or two friends to introduce and validate a new trend before they jump on board, this used to be the job of dj's that would find good new music/artists and introduce us to them, this isnt so any more.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
If you dont know the names of the new artists, how do you hunt them down?
I just search around to see what's what. Most of the time I just stumble upon them, but it's just a matter of putting in the effort to find new artists. But most don't want to do that of course.

Human beings are strange creatures when it comes to new trends, they need at least one or two friends to introduce and validate a new trend before they jump on board, this used to be the job of dj's that would find good new music/artists and introduce us to them, this isnt so any more.
The worst is when you ask someone what kind of music they like and they say "I LIKE EVERYTHING".

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Human beings are strange creatures when it comes to new trends, they need at least one or two friends to introduce and validate a new trend before they jump on board, this used to be the job of DJ's that would find good new music/artists and introduce us to them, this isn't so any more.

Sadly people only like something when it's been socially validated en masse. DJ's have long been payola'd out unless I'm wrong.

The worst is when you ask someone what kind of music they like and they say "I LIKE EVERYTHING".

I @Fade hate the I listen to everything listener and it's something I've never been.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
Good question with many answers, but here's what I've noticed.

People like what they like and they're going to gravitate to what they have a relationship in a bond with. When it comes to finding new music, this has to be a purposeful thing outside of a recommendation.

Generally, if someone wants to listen to music, they're pulling from specific songs from they have cataloged in their mind. It's rare for someone to want to listen to a genre of music as appose to a specific artist or song by said artist.

Now when you find that song, you're not against listening to something new especially if the song is in the same vein as what you like (this is what AI does well). Finding new music is very similar to going shopping for a pair of pants. There are specific brands and styles you like so that's what you aim for but if you see another brand or style that catches your eye you might try it on especially if it's the right price.

I agree, there are lots of good artists and songs out there, but there's also a lot of junk in comparison.

The other elements take into consideration is a lot of artists don't know how to promote and market themselves. Lots of time, energy and money have been put into albums without a following or group of listeners anticipating its release and this results in lots of music being uploaded to these platforms and collecting dust.

That's the difference between successful artists and non-successful artists regardless of how good the music actually is. The successful ones have a fanbase to point to when they release their work.

Last edited:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
So why aren't they looking for the lesser known artists?

Same reason majority of kids only wear Jordans. Do they specifically want them for any reason, nope, and people have their own tastes out of the available models and colours, but they get then because they have to because it's deemed cool.

Then you got the people who "just listen" to music. Just whatever radio tells them to.

Then you have the female market and nonsense they tend to listen to.

Then generally these "better artists" often may be niche anyway. Like when I started listening to modern "g funk" type stuff, it was really tricky to find new artists cause what do you even search?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
It's rare for someone to want to listen to a genre of music
I dunno... i do at times.

Maybe this changes with the whole album generation vs streaming gen...

Album days you couldn't really chuck a genre on, so you had to pick am artist/album to bump... forme i still do this also some times.

For me it reallyis a mix of those two things.

Maybe similar kids today... bump a hip hop playlist, one artist catches attention, they then check their album. Dunno, that's what i do ha